Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attention world, any Subaru projects being planned?, 12/9 Back up and running!
BIGKAT_83
post Oct 5 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

I had already cut the trunk for the EG33 engine. With the EZ30 being so much smaller no trunk cutting would be needed. I do plan to repair the hole I had cut for the EG33

Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zaney
post Oct 5 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #42

Deuchland en der Haus

Member No.: 1,738
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You can cut the trunk and make enough room for the Suby components beneath. Even make it look stockish (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Oct 5 2011, 11:18 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

Done right you can use that nice weld-in panel to stiffen the chassis as well. I was planning on doing something similar on my new car.
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Oct 5 2011, 11:35 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 10,305

QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 5 2011, 10:18 AM) *

Done right you can use that nice weld-in panel to stiffen the chassis as well. I was planning on doing something similar on my new car.

I think the cheapest conversion would be if some one came up with a complete Subaru donor car.
The motor, Transmission, ECU, wire harness and fuel pump assembly can all be used.
There is still plenty of room for a conversion parts house.
Bolt or weld in rear trunk cover is one more needed part.
I recall Steve "Porcharu" talking of making a kit with his magic axle adapters.
There is talk of needing more adapters and another production order.

For now, most if not all 914 are exempt from a smog check, not sure about 1975?
I don't know about other states but there smog laws may read like this:
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/07_A...Guidelines.html
"If a computer–controlled engine is installed in a non–computerized vehicle, the "CHECK ENGINE" light, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) diagnostic link, and all sensors, switches, and wiring harnesses needed to make the system fully functional must also be installed."

I have a mold that will produce a fiberglass dash for the 914 that the WRX or STI instrument clusters will fit in.
This helps bundle a fully functional plug and play system.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Porcharu
post Oct 5 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 3,518
Region Association: Northern California

You guys should all know where to get those CV flanges! Given enough interest I can do another run. The more I have made the cheaper they get. Someday I will get back to my 914 project. To many other projects have got in the way - kid, other car, work.....
Steve
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 5 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 12,367

Ruby914, while I think the complete donor car would be the most convenient (for non smog exempt vehicles) I don't think it would be the cheapest. Single transmissions and engines can be found for pretty cheap. Not to mention a lot of us don't have the capability to store/disassemble/reassemble two vehicles at once.

I do really like the dash though. Carbon fiber is sweet and really looks seamless.

As to the flanges, it's a great design, I just think that its a little bit confining. The custom axles that I'm having made will be plug and play with any 5mt Subaru transmission (including stonger late model versions) and also give you the choice between "fuses" 914 or 944 cv's.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 5 2011, 02:47 PM
Post #47

QUOTE(Ductech @ Oct 4 2011, 12:51 PM) *

I agree with the cutting aspect. I am thinking to use two smaller radiators inside the engine bay. I don't like cutting good old cars.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

That is the one glaring issue with a water cooled swap.. however I believe someone has made a mid Rad NA ej25 conversion work and I have also been toying with an idea that a good friend came up with that would eliminate front Rad set up but also work with Turbo models..
Furthermore, most of the cutting of the rear trunk shouldn't be necessary with a flipped intake on a 4cyl. You can retain the AC so I don't see any reason not.

the 6's I'm not as familiar with. Although it seems like it can be done with the EZ30...

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 5 2011, 09:03 AM) *

I had already cut the trunk for the EG33 engine. With the EZ30 being so much smaller no trunk cutting would be needed. I do plan to repair the hole I had cut for the EG33

Bob

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 5 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #48

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I would love to see an engine bay radiator solution that works. I don't know of any cars setup that way that have remained that way. Not much air flow to work with. New Porsche's use a tripple radiator setup. Might be worth the effor to see if it can be used in a 914.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 5 2011, 04:12 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 5 2011, 02:53 PM) *

New Porsche's use a tripple radiator setup. Might be worth the effor to see if it can be used in a 914.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Oct 6 2011, 02:37 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 10,305

QUOTE(IM101 @ Oct 5 2011, 01:17 PM) *

Ruby914, while I think the complete donor car would be the most convenient (for non smog exempt vehicles) I don't think it would be the cheapest. Single transmissions and engines can be found for pretty cheap. Not to mention a lot of us don't have the capability to store/disassemble/reassemble two vehicles at once.

I do really like the dash though. Carbon fiber is sweet and really looks seamless.

As to the flanges, it's a great design, I just think that its a little bit confining. The custom axles that I'm having made will be plug and play with any 5mt Subaru transmission (including stonger late model versions) and also give you the choice between "fuses" 914 or 944 cv's.

You have some valid points and I may have very well lucked out on my donor car that had a side impact with a pole. I found it the day it got to the pick a part.
They roped it off and I had someone remove all I needed. Two days later I had all the parts at the house and I needed a 914 to put them in.
There are still 1000 ways to skin a cat. Options are good!

So, I may need some of your axles. No rush but how much and how soon?
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 6 2011, 04:44 AM
Post #51

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

i have a set of porcharu's magic flanges that i never used for sale in case anyone needs a set now - see classifieds. does not work with ALL suby trans - must have same number of splines - i believe early legacy trans is ok and some others but not impreza.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0733&st=680

ALSO A QUESTION ?????

would this thing with the spiral coil effect performance - the vaccum line nipple is broken off.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
abnrdo
post Oct 6 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 2,820

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 6 2011, 05:44 AM) *

i have a set of porcharu's magic flanges tha i never used for sale in case anyone needs a set now - see classifieds. does not work with ALL suby trans - must have same number of splines - i believe early legacy trans is ok and some others but not impreza.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0733&st=680

ALSO A QUESTION ?????

would this thing with the spiral coil effect performance - the vaccum line nipple is broken off.

Ooooo Jim you peaked my interest. Is that a 240???
-Jim
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 6 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #53

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460

its a 1993 subaru impreza wagon fwd 1.8L

IM101 - what cost to convert to power steering ?? : )

i hear a wide body wide tired 914 with a smaller steering wheel can be a handful.

jim
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Oct 7 2011, 07:53 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 7,611

I like the front rad with the duct setup idea someone had done. I'll get to that eventually so I can get some functionality out of the front trunk. As far as I remember, everyone who has tried the mid-mounted radiator has failed, re-invented and failed again and gave up on the idea. If I am wrong, I'm sorry and let me what you did and I might try to do it the same someday.

I haven't flipped my intake manifold because I intend to put the A/C compressor back on someday. I couldn't figure out a way to keep the compressor, alternator and flip the manifold. The piping for the intake isn't even that complicated. I didn't have to cut into the rear trunk either. I have a 90 degree bend in my intake pipe and will use an air to water intercooler. I may even be able to keep my full size optima battery back there.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Oct 7 2011, 08:23 AM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Look for pictures of the front trunk on a Carrera GT. They built some low profile ducting that directed the air out of the front trunk area and it helped created a space that was still useable. Having good ducting will allow you to run smaller exit areas.
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Oct 7 2011, 09:51 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 9,211
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Nice job Ian, it's great to see some excitement in the suby conversion world again. It seemed to die off for a while. It really is an incredible way to go, especially if the suby trans is used. I've got 2500 miles on mine with no problems, and loads of smiles every time I drive. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Dean
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 7 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #57

Ruby 914, Wow man you did luck out, that a wrx made it into a pick andpull is incredible and that you got there first is insane. But yes I definitely agree with you optionsare good and there are a lot of them out there for this kind of project:

- engines, ej20, ej22, ej25… all of the 6’s

-Transmissions, 901, Subaru, 3.90, 4.11, 4.44, male flangesfemale flanges, stronger gears, better top speed

-NA or turbo, Td04,05,06, Vf28,30,40,44 Intercooling, air toair, air to water, Placement?

-engine management, OEM Cut harness, Piggy back, Standalone

And those are just a few of the options, literally there is1000 ways to skin this cat. I guess part of the reason for doing the kits is toboth enable and streamline the decision making process. A mount that will workwith any of the Subaru engines and both transmission choices, Axles that willwork with any of the subi 5 speed transmissions. On the other hand, an EMS that will be flexible,powerful and simple, a perfectly located and proven set up for intake/exhaust/cooling.

That’s what I want the end result to be. So that the kid incollege who just bought his 914 roller can buy the separate pieces and slowlybuild his dream car on a shoe string budget. Or the retired guy who wants his favorite 914, just with late modelpower and reliability; without losing half of his savings or months of waiting.Or anyone in between.

Call me cheesy or a dreamer or whatever, but that is my vision
Ian M.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 7 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #58

Oh ya and the Axles... ive got several pm's about them so i may just put those on the fast track, i hope to have the axles and cradel done in a month or two.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Oct 7 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 194

QUOTE(IM101 @ Oct 7 2011, 01:36 PM) *

Oh ya and the Axles... ive got several pm's about them so i may just put those on the fast track, i hope to have the axles and cradel done in a month or two.

Just wonder how the pricing on the axles will compare with the ones I have had done at Dutchman Motorsports
Great guys to work with I've sent 4or5 other people to them. I guess everyone is happy.
Bob
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 7 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #60

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 6 2011, 07:15 PM) *

its a 1993 subaru impreza wagon fwd 1.8L

IM101 - what cost to convert to power steering ?? : )

i hear a wide body wide tired 914 with a smaller steering wheel can be a handful.

jim

You heard wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

11 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:51 PM