Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attention world, any Subaru projects being planned?, 12/9 Back up and running!
IM101
post Oct 7 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,367
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Jim Kelly,
Well that is probably more of a question for legacy central with, it’s a smaller Subaru forum dealing with earlier legacys which I believe also had the same 1.8 as your impreza.
As to the power steering… ha, I had never thought of a conversion to power steering, I’ll look into it, although with everything on my plate I probably wouldn’t be offering one for some time, But keep the ideas coming 
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Heck, with power steering and fwd auto trans you could conceivably make a 914 drivable by someone who is in a wheelchair… now that is a cool thought…

Pktzygt,
I like your set up, I was planning similar until I figured out the flip method, ill post a video when its all ready so anyone can do it if they would like.

You are probably right about the mid Rad, I just remember a thread with a working one, in any case the mid rad doesn’t really make a lot of sense…
I do like the late model Porsche triple radiator set up, properly ducted of course Brett W.. again that is something that is a ways off in development, at first I will probably go with a front mont rad with ducting that still allows use of the trunk.

Sawtooth,
Hey thanks Dean, your car is inspiration enough… but I’ll let you know if there is anything else. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 7 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #62

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 7 2011, 11:01 AM) *

QUOTE(IM101 @ Oct 7 2011, 01:36 PM) *

Oh ya and the Axles... ive got several pm's about them so i may just put those on the fast track, i hope to have the axles and cradel done in a month or two.

Just wonder how the pricing on the axles will compare with the ones I have had done at Dutchman Motorsports
Great guys to work with I've sent 4or5 other people to them. I guess everyone is happy.
Bob

Dutchman is great, I don’t know what your price is and the axles will probably end up being similar but I’m hoping to get them at the lowest price possible.

I was previously employed by Metaltech 4x4, it is a small company specializing performance 4x4 gear for Toyota Land Cruisers. It was great working there and I miss it. I gained a lot of business knowledge and contacts and I will definitely be treating this business similarly

I will be sending rfq’s for axles to several venders (including Dutchman) going with the best quality for the lowest price, furthermore I will ordering in bulk so that I can have axles in stock and benefit from lower price per axle.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 7 2011, 02:20 PM
Post #63

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

My idea for the radiator in the engine bay is this. I want to use the 2 radiator setup from boxster. My plan is to do it on a flared car. Weather they were GT or Sheridan it should work. Just cut the inlet in the flare on each side for the radiator. Should get plenty of airflow & it would just exit out the wheel well. Should be efficent enough to cool the car. My worry is just cosmetically how to make it flow with the lines of the car. If I could draw for anything I would add an illustration. As it is I think most can figure what I have in mind. I think it would work great. I'm just not sure I can make it look great too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The nicest thing is you keep your front trunk. It also keeps your water lines short & close. It's just a matter of ducting the inlet so it not only looks good but provides enough flow. I have seen a few mods for some forced induction. Anyone have some pics of a 914 with an induction on the side? I've got one of Phillip Haun's car. My thoughs were leaning more towards the Sheridan flare. The GT flare is doable but it would be a tighter squeze as it is flared so close to the wheel/tire. Where the sheridan type is more gradual? Anyway if you have a pic of something along these lines please post them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
a914622
post Oct 7 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 12,048

Holy crap you have gear experiance?

You should figure out how to make a reversed ring and pinion for the subaru 5/6 speeds. Ther are tons of vanagons looking for a good 5 speed. I think the bugs and ghias are in the same boat.

just ia thought

jcl
+Quote Post
IanJ
post Oct 8 2011, 12:46 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 5,327
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(a914622 @ Oct 8 2011, 10:51 AM) *

You should figure out how to make a reversed ring and pinion for the subaru 5/6 speeds. Ther are tons of vanagons looking for a good 5 speed. I think the bugs and ghias are in the same boat.

just ia thought

jcl

JCl,
Check out
http://www.subarugears.com/
+Quote Post
IM101
post Oct 8 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #66

QUOTE(IanJ @ Oct 7 2011, 11:46 PM) *

QUOTE(a914622 @ Oct 8 2011, 10:51 AM) *

just ia thought

jcl

JCl,
Check out
http://www.subarugears.com/

Yep exactly the website I was going to post. Figures an Aussie would beat me to it, it seems like you guys have all the cool Subaru stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
thenewwazoo
post Oct 10 2011, 04:16 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 10,883
Region Association: Northern California

I'll probably build a thread for my EZ30 conversion soon while things are on hold for the race season. I'm basically sitting waiting for a cradle and some axles... and that's it. If someone can give me a price and a ship date before I build it myself (planned for December), they'll have my money.

Just sayin.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 10 2011, 04:25 PM
Post #68

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

You should be in luck, a EZ30 cradle and axles shouldn't be any different that an EJ. Don't know for sure but think my son has my old EJ20/901 cradle. In Modesto.

Be sure to post your build thread. I have a turbo four, am really interested in that six.
+Quote Post
thenewwazoo
post Oct 10 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 10,883

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Oct 10 2011, 06:25 PM) *

You should be in luck, a EZ30 cradle and axles shouldn't be any different that an EJ. Don't know for sure but think my son has my old EJ20/901 cradle. In Modesto.

Be sure to post your build thread. I have a turbo four, am really interested in that six.

Oh, yeah, I'm very much aware of the mounting issues, and I'm ready to bolt it together, I just don't know of anyone who will sell me a EJ/EZ+subaru trans mount. You bet your sweet buns that if I do it myself I'm going to have a stack of them. To everyone promising to make these, yes, that's a threat! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
IanJ
post Feb 10 2012, 09:02 PM
Post #70

Member No.: 5,327
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Hi,
I just wondered if anybody was further down the road with their kits?

I am now ready to start collecting bits for my conversion (looking to use subaru transmission)

Thanks,
Ian
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Feb 11 2012, 02:19 AM
Post #71

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 4 2011, 03:20 AM) *

one of the major issues with our cars - is the cost to have a type4 rebuilt - or to have a porsche 6 rebuilt - or to have suby rebuilt. one website quotes rebuild prices from $3k for an EJ22 to $5k for an EG33. keeping costs down on a conversion really seems to rely on getting a known good engine for a good price. looking forward to what you wind up offering and nice to see jake has found a new niche. subaru engines have just risen in status, that is for certain. zoom zoom - oh wait that is mazda - hey has anyone ever thought - oh never mind : ))

link - http://www.ccrengines.com/id15.html

Yes my Red car is getting ready for a Rotary....it will be video tape complete with the shop that will be doing the conversation I will post it on a new u tube channel...soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
VOX
post Feb 11 2012, 02:39 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 10,027
Region Association: None

3k to rebuild an ej22? why rebuild it when the engine only costs a few hundred. just toss the engine if it doesnt work and pick up another one. then again maybe its cheaper here in ca.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Feb 12 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #73

QUOTE(IanJ @ Feb 10 2012, 07:02 PM) *

Hi,
I just wondered if anybody was further down the road with their kits?

I am now ready to start collecting bits for my conversion (looking to use subaru transmission)

Thanks,
Ian

Well I wish I could say I was further, but dang college has been getting in the way... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) stupid edumacation...

Anyway I am finally making headway again and ill update again soon.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Feb 12 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #74

QUOTE(VOX @ Feb 11 2012, 12:39 AM) *

3k to rebuild an ej22? why rebuild it when the engine only costs a few hundred. just toss the engine if it doesnt work and pick up another one. then again maybe its cheaper here in ca.

I've been researching engine sources and come up with some good information. I agree the ej22 is probably not worth the rebuild. anyway here is some info on NA engine choices.

The following is a compilation of options and information for Subaru’s 2.5 Liter naturally aspirated engine. There are other NA engines available, such as the 2.2L or the 1.8 however in my opinion they have several disadvantages to the 2.5L, such as having less HP and single port exhaust heads and much less aftermarket support. One benefit that the ej22 has is it doesn’t have the head gasket failure that tend to show up with the ej25 at +150k, so it can be found, in a high mileage but usable form under 700$ pretty regularly.
The price is for a complete, shipped, assembled engine, longevity is the estimated mileage that the motor should last with regular maintenance, and of course the engine and warranty is self-explanatory.

(2.5L NA)
Opt # / Engine / Price Range / Longevity / Warranty
1 / High Mileage USDM / $500-1200 / 10-60k / NA
2 / JDM / $1200-2000 / 100-130k / 30-90 day
3 / Low Mileage USDM / $1800-2500 / 100-160k / 30 day
4 / Rebuilt USDM / $1900-2600 / 200+ / 12 month, 12,000mi

The high mileage motor (opt 1) is relatively easy to come by, the lower price range would be a luck find on local Craigslist. Higher price would be shipped from continental US and probably the easiest to just plug-in and drive. The ease comes with a cost though as it would be at the end of its life and probably end up needing a full rebuild or replaced soon.

The JDM motor (opt 2) is an interesting case. First off there are several years 99-05 that are obd2 capable and directly compatible to the USDM version. One option would be to gamble, buy a complete engine off ebay, hope for the best and most likely end up with a lemon. I would not do this myself and would not advise anyone of this course. You basically are paying twice as much on an engine that could be as bad as or worse than a High mileage USDM motor, with little recourse (pay shipping to return and a restocking fee and flush $700+). The alternative (listed opt 2) would be to buy an engine through a reputable importer where it is leak down/compression tested. The problem with this however is the several importers I have spoken with do not sell the wiring harness or ECU with the engine, thus USDM ancillary equipment would be required to get the engine complete and that will add expense.

The low mileage USDM motor would be the first, no guessing, reliable option. Like the JDM version they usually need to be sourced from a reputable shop. Also several ancillary parts will need to be sourced as the low mileage motors usually come a long block. However when this engine gets up into its higher mileage it can become susceptible to head gasket failure (due to bad factory HG pre 2005 NA 2.5L have been documented regularly blow a gasket after about 130k).

Finally there is the Rebuilt USDM option. Recently I found an engine builder with great prices on fully rebuilt (including heads) long blocks, normally a rebuilt long block would be $3000-4500$. However with this builder you can buy a rebuilt long block for what a used on would normally be. Furthermore it would have a tad more HP (due to .02 honing of the cylinders), updated HG that will not give out prematurely, and the option of customizing the build to whatever specs (upgraded cams, pistons, etc). This option would be the best in reliability and would have more power however it is also the most expensive and more difficult to get done, as a core motor would have to be sourced for exchange and ancillary parts.

In summation if you are looking to go the inexpensive/quick route I would go with the high mileage used set up (opt 1). It is quick and will get you running, if it decides to die after a few thousand miles at that point the JDM option becomes more feasible since you would have everything necessary (intake, ecu, sensors, etc.) to drop it in and go. On the other hand, If you are going to spend the money for a no headache set up, I would suggest going with the fully rebuilt engine (opt 4) as it only negligibly more expensive then the low mileage option with much greater benefits.

-Ian M.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Feb 12 2012, 03:10 PM
Post #75

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

How about the JR28?
:-)
+Quote Post
Zaney
post Feb 12 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #76

Deuchland en der Haus

Member No.: 1,738

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 12 2012, 01:10 PM) *

How about the JR28?
:-)

That with an AWD Suby trans option for a Baja Bug and I am sold!
Congrats on the venture with Subiegears!
+Quote Post
a914622
post Feb 12 2012, 09:07 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 12,048

Your missing the Diesel option!

New engines are now like 4500.00 tranny 2k. I dont know if the ecu has been worked out yet?

I cant see a 2.2 being 3k to rebuild? I have torn down 3 with over 150,000 on them and most need an oil pump, piston rings and ehaust valves checked and lapped, and a set of acl bearings. I think with a subaru gasket kit you should be able it refresh/rebuild for under 1000.00?

Im picking up my 6speed for the eg33 swap next week. The new subarus mount like the 911 did with one mount in the front and 2 bolt on ears at the tranny. I may have to rethink my mounts so i probably not looking for the standard "KIT"

Boxxer.com has the diesel stuff.

jcl
+Quote Post
Zaney
post Feb 13 2012, 04:54 PM
Post #78

Deuchland en der Haus

Member No.: 1,738

www.boxeer.com is the site
+Quote Post
IM101
post Mar 5 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #79

Just an update, Things are finally coming together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Should have products to sell before the end of the month...
here's a teaser shot of some of the laser cutting being used in the in the project (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
SchwarzHorse
post Mar 5 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #80

of the Moby Gang

Member No.: 13,335
Region Association: South East States

Installing rice-burners into German thoroughbreds is making Dr. Porsche turn in his grave. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:03 PM