Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attention world, any Subaru projects being planned?, 12/9 Back up and running!
a914622
post Mar 5 2012, 07:12 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,048
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Oh you have never see inside that rice burner have you! Plus I thought the porsche engeneer team help with the design of the ej engines in the early 90s.

jcl
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Strudelwagon
post Mar 5 2012, 07:23 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 9,633
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(SchwarzHorse @ Mar 5 2012, 05:07 PM) *

Installing rice-burners into German thoroughbreds is making Dr. Porsche turn in his grave. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Its still a BOXER motor.......Only Subaru was willing to run with it. Dr.Porsche I'm sure would approve (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Mar 5 2012, 10:13 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 6,787

Are there going to be made, any improvements on the shift linkage that Renegade didn't think out very well??
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Mar 6 2012, 08:57 AM
Post #84

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

Installing rice-burners into German thoroughbreds is making Dr. Porsche turn in his grave. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

With the exception of concours weenies, who are special, it's not a question of providence, it's function. You haven't seen the inside of those motors. Makes the three main T4 motors look like something from the Model A era. They're EXTREMELY well designed, and I'm fairly certain that Dr. Porsche, who understood good engineering, would admire them as much as anyone else with a T4 background who's seen them.

Before anyone calls me on this I'm talking about three main bearings supporting the rods, not the small one on the nose that's really just for the crank pulley.
+Quote Post
RiqueMar
post Mar 6 2012, 09:03 AM
Post #85

Enrique Allen Mar

Member No.: 9,478
Region Association: Southern California

The 914 is anything but a 'German thoroughbred'..... More like, 'interesting breading'.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Mar 6 2012, 09:08 AM
Post #86

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

looking forward to seeing you full offering.

for suby engines and suby trans conversions in a 914.

jim
+Quote Post
IM101
post Mar 7 2012, 01:45 PM
Post #87

Member No.: 12,367

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 6 2012, 06:57 AM) *

With the exception of concours weenies, who are special, it's not a question of providence, it's function. You haven't seen the inside of those motors. Makes the three main T4 motors look like something from the Model A era. They're EXTREMELY well designed, and I'm fairly certain that Dr. Porsche, who understood good engineering, would admire them as much as anyone else with a T4 background who's seen them.

Before anyone calls me on this I'm talking about three main bearings supporting the rods, not the small one on the nose that's really just for the crank pulley.

Putting all the other pro subaru arguments/stats aside (there are a lot), the fact that Jake Raby has started developing the Subaru power-plant speaks volumes about its potential and place in the 914. He is after all basically the master of air cooled porsche/vw engines at this point.
-Ian
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 7 2012, 07:31 PM
Post #88

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(IM101 @ Mar 7 2012, 11:45 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Mar 6 2012, 06:57 AM) *

Putting all the other pro subaru arguments/stats aside (there are a lot), the fact that Jake Raby has started developing the Subaru power-plant speaks volumes about its potential and place in the 914. He is after all basically the master of air cooled porsche/vw engines at this point.
-Ian

I have always appreciated the abilities of the Suby engine no matter what it is installed into.. Honestly if the cost of TIVs wasn't so high, cores so old and the quality of parts not going to last another 30 years I would have never diversified into the Suby.
After we developed the Type 4 as well as possible for any sane HP level and expense it was time for a change- because the following has changed and continues to. I know that the TIV will be completely dead before I close the door to my office for the final time so diversification into the M96/ M97 years ago and now the Suby was simply required.

As aircooled engine component quality continues to deteriorate its important that we lead the way with the next level of Suby engine development with a different scope of basic alterations not found with the typical "Suby Tuners". Merging classic hotrodding with a modern engine and a twist is what its all about and thats more than the "tuners" do. One good example of this is the creation of an engine that doesn't "sound" like a Suby. I hate the signature sound of a suby and so do most other air-cooled enthusiast and making the Suby sound like a well tuned -4 has been a fairly large undertaking as the differences go well beyond the exhaust system. Here is an example.
Attached Image
Attached Image

And this is the other key.. WOW what bazaar things I found when playing with these numbers!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net-1095-1331170288.1.jpg)

I do not have any plans to provide Suby>>>>>914 components. My internal engine developments can be universally applied but I have decided not to focus any of my efforts on the 914 specifically.

Now those who want a Raby engine have their choice of classic air-cooled, or modern water-cooled and I am having more fun than ever making it happen.

This post has been edited by Jake Raby: Mar 7 2012, 07:32 PM
+Quote Post
IM101
post Mar 11 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #89

Interesting, I personally like the exhaust note (when its stock or tastefully modified). Still, I cant wait to see what you come up with. I have a feeling that some suby(non vw/porsche conversion) guys will be interested in the results as well. It seems like the innovation could be a bit of a shock to the subaru world, to say the least.

+Quote Post
chuckc
post Mar 14 2012, 07:43 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 12,123
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 3 2011, 06:11 PM) *

QUOTE(d914 @ Oct 3 2011, 04:07 PM) *

I'm finally working on mine again,, wiring in the highway 15 kit,, then on to plumbing.. playing with the idea of a custom aluminum gas tank. preliminary measurements give me about 14 gals useable with keeping the design simple.. $$$ aren't too bad $300-400.. I'm going to play a bit more then see about pulling the trigger..

and to relive every bodies fears,,, NO I WILL NOT BE MAKING IT!!

How about this one? It will fit with minor massaging. Better yet, it looks pro not home built.

RCI 2161A

Would love to see an example of this installed and the "massaging" that had to happen...Aluminum...no more rust... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
904svo
post Mar 14 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #91

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

Here's a picture of test fitting a Subaru WRX Turbo in my kit car.
\
Attached Image
+Quote Post
76912E
post Apr 8 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #92

Member No.: 10,163

What parts do I need?

I'm thinking of replacing the Type IV engine in my 912E with a N/A 2.5 Subie engine. The 912E was heavily modified by the PO (fiberglass RSR body conversion) and the engine or L-jet F.I. may need work. The transmission is a 923 5-speed (915 with a 901 input shaft to fit the Type IV). I don’t believe making a renegade out of it will decrease its value any more than it is now with the body kit.

I have a complete 2004 Legacy S/W with the 2.5 N/A, CA emission, Auto Trans, A/C. I am the original owner of the car. It has about 120K miles. It has had a CEL issue for the last 4 or 5 years, which is related to the O2 sensors or Cat converters. The car has 3 cats and I didn’t want to replace them. Emission inspection is easy to get around in my state so that was not a problem. The car runs fine and still gets high 20’s to low 30’s gas mileage. My teenage daughter has used the car for the last couple of years and there isn’t one body panel (except maybe the roof) that doesn’t have damage on it. The car has very little value.

So…what parts do I need from the Legacy for a Subie conversion? Will an auto transmission ECU work OK in the M/T Porsche? I’m guessing I will need a new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate for my 923 trans. I may not use the A/C from the Subie (the 912E doesn’t have it now).

Thanks, Fran
+Quote Post
IM101
post Apr 8 2012, 11:34 AM
Post #93

QUOTE(partwerks @ Mar 5 2012, 09:13 PM) *

Are there going to be made, any improvements on the shift linkage that Renegade didn't think out very well??

just reread and noticed this. Yes there will be an improvement in the shifting, im working on a cable shift slution for both the 901 and subaru set up. The shifter im trying to build will be pretty close to stock looking/placement... but its still a little ways off.

QUOTE(76912E @ Apr 8 2012, 10:14 AM) *

What parts do I need?

I'm thinking of replacing the Type IV engine in my 912E with a N/A 2.5 Subie engine. The 912E was heavily modified by the PO (fiberglass RSR body conversion) and the engine or L-jet F.I. may need work. The transmission is a 923 5-speed (915 with a 901 input shaft to fit the Type IV). I don’t believe making a renegade out of it will decrease its value any more than it is now with the body kit.

I have a complete 2004 Legacy S/W with the 2.5 N/A, CA emission, Auto Trans, A/C. I am the original owner of the car. It has about 120K miles. It has had a CEL issue for the last 4 or 5 years, which is related to the O2 sensors or Cat converters. The car has 3 cats and I didn’t want to replace them. Emission inspection is easy to get around in my state so that was not a problem. The car runs fine and still gets high 20’s to low 30’s gas mileage. My teenage daughter has used the car for the last couple of years and there isn’t one body panel (except maybe the roof) that doesn’t have damage on it. The car has very little value.

So…what parts do I need from the Legacy for a Subie conversion? Will an auto transmission ECU work OK in the M/T Porsche? I’m guessing I will need a new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate for my 923 trans. I may not use the A/C from the Subie (the 912E doesn’t have it now).

Thanks, Fran

although im not too familiar with the tail-dragers, your set up should be pretty simple, just get an aluminum engine to trans adapter from KEP (i think they make a subaru>915 set up) and some kind of an engine mount system needs to be fabricated. That ECU should work fine aswell.
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Apr 8 2012, 12:21 PM
Post #94

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

There is a Seattle based company (and I am sure others) that flips components in the transmission to run it backwards (tail drag) and the conversions I find in the VW bus space work very well.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 8 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #95

Engine Surgeon

It's time to unleash the beast... Welcome the Nikisil bored JR28 in 103mm.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net-1095-1333910356.1.jpg)

We are also the sole US distributors for Subarugears reversed ring and pinion kits since you guys jumped on that topic.. Here are a couple of reversed trannys that are ready for their rear engine applications that we have in work now.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net-1095-1333910357.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
76912E
post Apr 8 2012, 01:02 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 10,163

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Apr 8 2012, 02:21 PM) *

There is a Seattle based company (and I am sure others) that flips components in the transmission to run it backwards (tail drag) and the conversions I find in the VW bus space work very well.

Since my car (1976, 912E, tail dragger---a 1 year replacement for the 914, before the 924 was released) uses the same engine as a 914 (Type 4, 2L, but with L-Jet instead of D-Jet FI) , the engines must rotate in the same direction. I'm thinking the 914 tranny was made to be a reverse rotation in comparison to the 901/915 in the 911 & 912 cars. Doesn't the 6 cyl 914 use a 901 transmission? Were the gears for this tranny flipped? I don't think I need to worry about reverse rotation, do I?

Thanks for the above replies. I was hoping I could expand this thread to other applications within the VW/Porsche family.

Fran
+Quote Post
nsyr
post Apr 8 2012, 04:00 PM
Post #97

Because I Can

Member No.: 2,073

We are also the sole US distributors for Subarugears reversed ring and pinion kits since you guys jumped on that topic.. Here are a couple of reversed trannys that are ready for their rear engine applications that we have in work now.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net-1095-1333910357.2.jpg)

do you supply output flanges?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 8 2012, 04:08 PM
Post #98

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(nsyr @ Apr 8 2012, 02:00 PM) *

do you supply output flanges?

Any 4WD 5 speed without hi/lo selector will work.. 2WD and 6 speeds won't.
+Quote Post
IM101
post Apr 9 2012, 12:21 AM
Post #99

QUOTE(76912E @ Apr 8 2012, 12:02 PM) *

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Apr 8 2012, 02:21 PM) *

Since my car (1976, 912E, tail dragger---a 1 year replacement for the 914, before the 924 was released) uses the same engine as a 914 (Type 4, 2L, but with L-Jet instead of D-Jet FI) , the engines must rotate in the same direction. I'm thinking the 914 tranny was made to be a reverse rotation in comparison to the 901/915 in the 911 & 912 cars. Doesn't the 6 cyl 914 use a 901 transmission? Were the gears for this tranny flipped? I don't think I need to worry about reverse rotation, do I?

Thanks for the above replies. I was hoping I could expand this thread to other applications within the VW/Porsche family.

Fran

If you are using the transmission that is currently sitting in your 912 you should be fine and not have to worry about reverse rotation (I'm pretty sure). If you decide to run a Subaru transmission, then you will need to reverse the gearing...

-Ian
+Quote Post
precisionchassis
post Apr 9 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 11,979
Region Association: Southwest Region

Jake, email me some information on the Nikisil cylinders. I've got an engine block sitting here I may send your way if it's not too increadibly expensive. I'm going to be building a monster motor for the Boxsteru soon. precisionchassis@gmail.com
+Quote Post

11 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:42 PM