Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear sway bar, Use it or lose it?
For a street 914, should the rear sway bar be used?
For a street 914, should the rear sway bar be used?
Yes, under all circumstances [ 6 ] ** [46.15%]
No, under all circumstances [ 1 ] ** [7.69%]
Yes, but only if you have a beefier front bar [ 5 ] ** [38.46%]
No, but only if you have a beefier front bar [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Yes, but only if using beefier front and rear bars [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Yes, but only for conversions with heavy engines [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
No, so someone will sell me their used one cheap [ 1 ] ** [7.69%]
Total Votes: 13
Guests cannot vote 
bondo
post Jul 24 2004, 01:21 PM
Post #1

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

My 73 2.0 that's getting a v8 has front and rear sway bars. I've seen several people say not to use the rear, but I don't know the details of why and under what circumstances. I of course am not voting because I don't know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 24 2004, 01:57 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

I'll let you know tomorrow. We just installed a rear bar on a 914 with NO front bar and will test it tomorrow at a AutoX.

Bottom line is this: what does YOUR car need ? If you have a V8 car with 200lb rear springs and the front end tends to push you can do one of three things: 1. install stiffer rear springs or 2. run a rear bar or 3. loosen the front bar which effectively makes the rear end more loose.

I install rear bars because it gives me more setup options and it takes just a few minutes to remove 40-50lbs worth of rear "spring rate" that the bar offers hooked up.

I will tell you that I'm working with a manufacturer to design a new 914 rear sway bar that is adjustable and doesnt hit the trunk floor on lowered 914's. I want to be able to run a lighter rear spring rate and compensate with a rear adjustable sway bar.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 24 2004, 02:01 PM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Oh.. FWIW...

All factory built race cars come with F+R sway bars. There is a reason why the 914 in 1973 came with F+R bars. Who are we to argue with the engineers ?

B
+Quote Post
skline
post Jul 24 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #4

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I had people tell me not to run it and others tell me that I should run it. I have driven 914's with and without sway bars. There is a huge difference in handling. I added the front and rear sway bars to my Chalon since it didnt come with them. I have a 23mm front adjustable and a stock rear sway bar. I have not driven it yet but I put them on because I know it will make some difference and stock without them, well, almost sucks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jul 24 2004, 02:13 PM
Post #5

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I pulled the Welt aftermarket bar off my car immediately when I first bought it; at that time there was no LSD and the suspension was not nearly dialed...so the car was effin' undrivable. It had 140lb rears + the swaybar and a bone STOCK front end.

You'd hit a tiny rise or bump in the road and rear traction would go away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Now I have it in the garage and might play around again someday. BTW it DID hit the trunk floor at some point; there is clear evidence (i.e. dent).
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 24 2004, 02:55 PM
Post #6

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Dang, and I JUST sold my rear bar.. (parts heven swap meet)

Would it be unsafe to run with just 120's in the back? Will I have to completely disconnect my front bar to make it more drivable? V8 car..

I'll be getting stiffer springs down the line.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 24 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #7

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Me's running:

18mm Front Bar off a 1976 930
19mm Stock 911 torsion bars
Konis with 18mm raised spindle

140lb. rear springs
16mm factory bar
Konis

B... do you think I'll hit with the 140's and the weight of the 6-clyinder? Is this why some of the factory GT's had them mounted "inside" with the longer arms? First I ever heard of them hitting... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 24 2004, 04:10 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

I noticed in another car a few days ago that somebody installed a rear stock bar upside down with the links facing down and not up... guess how we installed this latest one ? I know they did it on accident.. I did it on purpose. Yes Eric, this is the exact reason why you see them mounted in the trunk with links going down. I personally know that the links dont care which direction they are facing as long as they are attached to the bar and the shock bolt. Doing it this way the links hang down but no lower than the heat exchangers.

Ideally you should set the car up with the springs and fine tune with the bars. Problem is: we can only buy springs in 25lb increments and it gets old changing the springs out. Soo.. with a rear bar I can dial in upwards of 50lbs before I have to make a spring change.

The new Porsche race cars come with very small F+R bars because they tune the suspension in with springs and 5lb helpers.

B
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Jul 24 2004, 04:43 PM
Post #9

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 24 2004, 03:10 PM)
I noticed in another car a few days ago that somebody installed a rear stock bar upside down with the links facing down and not up... guess how we installed this latest one ? I know they did it on accident.. I did it on purpose. Yes Eric, this is the exact reason why you see them mounted in the trunk with links going down. I personally know that the links dont care which direction they are facing as long as they are attached to the bar and the shock bolt. Doing it this way the links hang down but no lower than the heat exchangers.

Ideally you should set the car up with the springs and fine tune with the bars. Problem is: we can only buy springs in 25lb increments and it gets old changing the springs out. Soo.. with a rear bar I can dial in upwards of 50lbs before I have to make a spring change.

The new Porsche race cars come with very small F+R bars because they tune the suspension in with springs and 5lb helpers.

B

Also, there is a maximum spring rate (140) that you can install on your car if you want to stay in the improved category for autocrossing. Adding a rear sway bar essentially bumps your rear stiffness up 50lbs or so.

-Britain
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jul 24 2004, 04:44 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Yep. Play by the rules (at least for this year)

B
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 10:14 AM