Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Muellers VR6 swap project, running thread of a non-running motor :)
Mueller
post Nov 22 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #61

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

drivers side:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 22 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #62

914 Freak!

ugly cut...luckly I can weld and paint once I figure out a more elegant solution for mounting the engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 22 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #63

914 Freak!

last picture for the night....this shows how much room in front of the crank balancer and the chassis

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 22 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #64

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Deja-vu (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I hit the firewall in about 3/4" for the timing belt cover clearance. Not a problem, but I also knew I wasn't going to use the rear pad.

I have the RH tranny blocks. Actually 4, stacked 2 high @ 1.5". Hole spacing is 1.25" FORWARD. Had to use 2 to get the intake under the targa top. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Wish I had made a new manifold back then... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)

You'll only need 1/2" of clearance for engine movement if you use sport mounts.

My oil pan hangs ~1" below floorpan. Could be considered an issue if I didn't have a 2" o.d. tough rubber rad hose that crossed in front of it. Again, wouldn't be a problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) if I had made a new intake (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Keep up the progress (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Chris
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 22 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #65

914 Freak!

thanks Chris, you just put a big smile on my face knowing that you too had to get "creative", hahahaha

any issues with the axles running the transmission forward?
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Nov 22 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #66

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Axles run up, axles run down, why would a 'forward' angle be different?

I did have an issue with the pass outer CV bolts coming loose and out... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Them bolts pop LOUD.

Oh Yah! I got creative. Like my motor mount ties into where the Maxima CV shaft support bracket bolted to the engine. Felt I need 3 point for mount stability in relationship to the chassis mounts.
The N6 gets it's 2.5 year physical over holiday break. We'll see if I have any Garage Floor Engineering side effects.

Chris
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 22 2004, 11:49 PM
Post #67

914 Freak!

QUOTE(KurtG @ Nov 22 2004, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 22 2004, 08:44 PM)
ugly cut...luckly I can weld and paint once I figure out a more elegant solution for mounting the engine  :D

That actually doesn't look too bad but it's hard to get the full perspective with those close up shots.

i'm using my cell phone to take the pictures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) not the best, but it works for now.....
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 23 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #68

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Mike, I have solid mounts front and rear. My motor doesn't move! The 928 motor is so smooth I don't need the vibration dampening that rubber mount provide. When I stab the gas the front lifts and the rear squats. The car goes straight and flat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (My old 427 Chevelle used to pick up the left front wheel in kind of a tip over thing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) ) Don't worry about the strength of the transaxle case. Just build strong mounts.

The axles will be fine. My motor is moved 1.5" back.

In my list of build objectives I absolutely insisted on taga storage as intended. I would lower the motor and tranaxle to clear the lid and targa if I were you. Put the targa in the trunk and fit the motor while it's in there.

BTW: looks like lots of room for the cables now. How about shift rod clearance? I used a tail shift linkage with a side shift end grafted on. This allowed the rod to move a couple more inches to the left. Even after cutting the oil pan I needed the added clearance.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 08:01 AM