Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intermittant Bucking, like fuel is cut off for an instant
Bruce Allert
post Jul 26 2004, 08:22 AM
Post #1

Hellions asleep

Group: Members
Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

isn't that the Throttle Position Switch that does that or is it the Injector Points? I also ohmed the Cylinder Head Temp sensor while it was cold & got 3 ohms. Does it need to be disconnected from the ECU wiring before ohming? I did on the cold test but not on the hot. The hot reading (while still connected) was somewhere btwn 1 & 2K. It's supposed to be 3K.
I could not find any vacuum leaks but idle will not go below 1K.
I'm getting ....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) ready to do

sumpin drastic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fighting19.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

..........b
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
davep
post Jul 26 2004, 08:35 AM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

With standard D-jet injection the trigger points in the distributor create the pulse train for the injectors. The ECU uses the sensor inputs to modify the duration of the pulses. Given that, complete fuel shutoff is usually a function of the trigger points, a wiring problem and bad grounds.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Jul 26 2004, 08:45 AM
Post #3

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

That is definitely the symptom of a bad TPS. With the TPS it happens at steady state driving at the same rpms. The contacts are worn around those rpms. On my car it happens around 3500 rpms which happens to be the freeway crusing rpm. I've needed to replace it for a long time but it only happens occasionally so I haven't been that motivated.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jul 26 2004, 09:14 AM
Post #4

Hellions asleep

QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 26 2004, 07:45 AM)
That is definitely the symptom of a bad TPS. With the TPS it happens at steady state driving at the same rpms. The contacts are worn around those rpms. On my car it happens around 3500 rpms which happens to be the freeway crusing rpm. I've needed to replace it for a long time but it only happens occasionally so I haven't been that motivated.

That's exactly what it's doing except mines at 3K. I kinda figured it was gonna be that since it happened on my last engine. Wished the 1.7 TPS would fit on the 2.0..... it's almost new (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

........b
+Quote Post
balthazar
post Jul 26 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #5

P-car junkie

Member No.: 464

there is a way to modify the 1.7mps to work on the 2.0. I know because my 2.0 had a modified 1.7 mps on it.

I am sure someone here knows how this is done...
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Jul 26 2004, 05:56 PM
Post #6

Hellions asleep

I was studying my 1.7 TPS and could see how to modify it. It's only a year old and was performing great so my line of thought is to sell it & try to recoup some of the cash'ola I just spent on a new one.

Got a Bosch on line for $89 & free shipping (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) Should be here Wednesday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

........b (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
georgia914
post Jul 28 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,413

Hey my car does that too... only @about 4000. and some times as I roll to a stop it just shuts down. I just bought this car and know nothing about them...
Where is the throttle position sensor?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 28 2004, 11:03 AM
Post #8

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(georgia914 @ Jul 28 2004, 08:59 AM)
Hey my car does that too... only @about 4000. and some times as I roll to a stop it just shuts down. I just bought this car and know nothing about them...
Where is the throttle position sensor?

Your's is a 1.8L. The injection system used on the 2.0 and the 1.7 is a D-Jet system. The 1.8 uses an L-Jet system. Completely different. The L-Jet doesn't use the throttle switch like the D-Jet. The throttle switch on the L-Jet only has 2 contacts, one for idle, and one for wide open throttle.

Clay
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 03:55 PM