Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche Driving Experience, Anyone here tried it?
peridotian
post Jul 26 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #1

Unregistered

I signed my wife up for the two day Porsche Driving Experience in October at a track in Alabama. Has anyone here ever taken this course? She is VERY excited but also nervous as the cars used are 6 speed manual 911's. I am going to get her some seat time in my teener between now and then if it's roadworthy. She wants to AX her Boxer but wants to get some training first.
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Jul 26 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #2

914 addicted

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,246

We just got the paperwork in the mail today and there is fine print that advises of the distinct possibility of death (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) or disfigurement (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_rolli_1.gif) associated with this activity and Debra was duly impressed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) . I am saving my driving school time/money for something more track oriented and local (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) .
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post Jul 26 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #3

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

Woo Hoo, that should be ALOT of fun for you two, Barber Motorsports Park looks like a Great track, very Challenging.

Shoot lots & lots of Video.
+Quote Post
Scott Carlberg
post Jul 26 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #4

Porsche MOTORSPORTS

Member No.: 580

Hey Patrick,
to get some feedback on what the PDE is about, in case no one here responds, go over to
www.6speedonline.com

and look for the *Scheduled Events* forum.

There are some threads over there about the PDE's and Driver Eduction days.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
peridotian
post Jul 27 2004, 09:14 AM
Post #5

Unregistered

Scott,
Thanks for the re-direct. I'll look there.
+Quote Post
don9146
post Jul 27 2004, 09:26 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,500
Region Association: None

Barber Motorsports Park is one of, if not "the," nicest race tracks around. Very challenging with rolling hills, tricky corners, and paved wide (with plenty of run-off room (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) ). It looks more like a golf course with an extra-wide cart path through it than a race track. Pleanty for the "significatn other" to do around the facilities during race tim as well.

Don
+Quote Post
partsman
post Jul 27 2004, 06:28 PM
Post #7

forever hooked

Member No.: 1,726
Region Association: North East States

I was sent there when the Cayenne first came out...we did laps in 911, Cayenne's and a Eurovan (korijo where are you..) with Hurley Haywood driving. It was a VERY impressive track, and really fast and smooth as well. Keep an eye out for all the metal sculptures in the infields
+Quote Post
PatW
post Jul 27 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #8

Wassup?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ppickerell @ Jul 26 2004, 05:28 PM)
I am saving my driving school time/money for something more track oriented and local (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) .

Patrick.

Look up Skip Barber Driving School. There is one at Laguna Seca. Somewhat cheeper than PDE.
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Jul 27 2004, 08:27 PM
Post #9

914 addicted

Pat,
I probably have 5 sets of Skip Barber school paperwork, one for every time I walked by the Viper they hang their sign off of during the Historics. We should try to get half a dozen of us to do this on the same weekend. I can do it in October of this year while Debra is in Alabama! Anybody else in?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 27 2004, 08:30 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Patrick,

I think you are crazy not to do the PDE with your wife....she's going to come home with plenty of cool stories and you'll be kicking yourself in the @ss for not going !!!!!!
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Jul 27 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4

I had a friend in the bay area who did this in atlanta. hurley haywood was the instructor. yes they had stock 996's for the students. he said it was the greatest time ever. on the last day they sent the students out in the 996's, giving them a nice head start. hurley got in a stock boxster and was soon passing all them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
propricer
post Jul 27 2004, 09:28 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1,938

If it would make your wife more comfortable to talk to another female Porsche driver, I could have my daughter call her ... she was an Indy Pace Car driver, drove the Womens Global GT Series in a Panoz, ran a Formula Mazda, competed in a Porsche in ALMS, etc., etc.
Her website is www.jennifertumminelli.com
Let me know ... Ed
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Jul 27 2004, 09:38 PM
Post #13

914 addicted

Sigh, I love my wife, but can I be in your daughter's pit crew (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) ? Thanks for the link, Debra is emailing her tomorrow.
+Quote Post
ppickerell
post Jul 27 2004, 09:46 PM
Post #14

914 addicted

Mike,
I'm kicking myself already. But the die has been cast. Debra's brother is a Chicago teener owner, and I am trying to convince him to go with her. For an extra $100 per day you can limit liability to Max to $2K per day, so she can wreck one car each day! SKidpad HO!
+Quote Post
PatW
post Jul 27 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #15

Wassup?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 317
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ppickerell @ Jul 27 2004, 06:27 PM)
Pat,
I probably have 5 sets of Skip Barber school paperwork, one for every time I walked by the Viper they hang their sign off of during the Historics. We should try to get half a dozen of us to do this on the same weekend. I can do it in October of this year while Debra is in Alabama! Anybody else in?

Patrick,

Hmmm, October?. Well since I've already done the Barber Two-Day and the Car Control Clinc last year. I'm trying to save a few $$ this year to fix up my 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Then again Mike is right about doing the PDE. If you have the $$ to spend: Getting track time with someone like Hurley Haywood would be extra-special. Hell, getting time with any of the instructors there would be a treat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

Also you can check out Racingschools.com as well. Plenty of more options there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Pat
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 04:25 AM