Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Driving Experience
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
peridotian
I signed my wife up for the two day Porsche Driving Experience in October at a track in Alabama. Has anyone here ever taken this course? She is VERY excited but also nervous as the cars used are 6 speed manual 911's. I am going to get her some seat time in my teener between now and then if it's roadworthy. She wants to AX her Boxer but wants to get some training first.
ppickerell
We just got the paperwork in the mail today and there is fine print that advises of the distinct possibility of death ar15.gif or disfigurement smilie_rolli_1.gif associated with this activity and Debra was duly impressed wacko.gif . I am saving my driving school time/money for something more track oriented and local driving.gif .
Scott Carlberg
Woo Hoo, that should be ALOT of fun for you two, Barber Motorsports Park looks like a Great track, very Challenging.

Shoot lots & lots of Video.
Scott Carlberg
Hey Patrick,
to get some feedback on what the PDE is about, in case no one here responds, go over to
www.6speedonline.com

and look for the *Scheduled Events* forum.

There are some threads over there about the PDE's and Driver Eduction days.

Good luck.
peridotian
Scott,
Thanks for the re-direct. I'll look there.
don9146
Barber Motorsports Park is one of, if not "the," nicest race tracks around. Very challenging with rolling hills, tricky corners, and paved wide (with plenty of run-off room ohmy.gif ). It looks more like a golf course with an extra-wide cart path through it than a race track. Pleanty for the "significatn other" to do around the facilities during race tim as well.

Don
partsman
I was sent there when the Cayenne first came out...we did laps in 911, Cayenne's and a Eurovan (korijo where are you..) with Hurley Haywood driving. It was a VERY impressive track, and really fast and smooth as well. Keep an eye out for all the metal sculptures in the infields
PatW
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Jul 26 2004, 05:28 PM)
I am saving my driving school time/money for something more track oriented and local driving.gif .

Patrick.

Look up Skip Barber Driving School. There is one at Laguna Seca. Somewhat cheeper than PDE.
ppickerell
Pat,
I probably have 5 sets of Skip Barber school paperwork, one for every time I walked by the Viper they hang their sign off of during the Historics. We should try to get half a dozen of us to do this on the same weekend. I can do it in October of this year while Debra is in Alabama! Anybody else in?
Mueller
Patrick,

I think you are crazy not to do the PDE with your wife....she's going to come home with plenty of cool stories and you'll be kicking yourself in the @ss for not going !!!!!!
vortrex
I had a friend in the bay area who did this in atlanta. hurley haywood was the instructor. yes they had stock 996's for the students. he said it was the greatest time ever. on the last day they sent the students out in the 996's, giving them a nice head start. hurley got in a stock boxster and was soon passing all them. biggrin.gif
propricer
If it would make your wife more comfortable to talk to another female Porsche driver, I could have my daughter call her ... she was an Indy Pace Car driver, drove the Womens Global GT Series in a Panoz, ran a Formula Mazda, competed in a Porsche in ALMS, etc., etc.
Her website is www.jennifertumminelli.com
Let me know ... Ed
ppickerell
Sigh, I love my wife, but can I be in your daughter's pit crew wub.gif ? Thanks for the link, Debra is emailing her tomorrow.
ppickerell
Mike,
I'm kicking myself already. But the die has been cast. Debra's brother is a Chicago teener owner, and I am trying to convince him to go with her. For an extra $100 per day you can limit liability to Max to $2K per day, so she can wreck one car each day! SKidpad HO!
PatW
QUOTE(ppickerell @ Jul 27 2004, 06:27 PM)
Pat,
I probably have 5 sets of Skip Barber school paperwork, one for every time I walked by the Viper they hang their sign off of during the Historics. We should try to get half a dozen of us to do this on the same weekend. I can do it in October of this year while Debra is in Alabama! Anybody else in?

Patrick,

Hmmm, October?. Well since I've already done the Barber Two-Day and the Car Control Clinc last year. I'm trying to save a few $$ this year to fix up my 914. unsure.gif

Then again Mike is right about doing the PDE. If you have the $$ to spend: Getting track time with someone like Hurley Haywood would be extra-special. Hell, getting time with any of the instructors there would be a treat. boldblue.gif

Also you can check out Racingschools.com as well. Plenty of more options there. clap56.gif

Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.