Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Shrinking bearings with cold stuff
sleepdoc
post Jul 27 2004, 02:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 826

Hi All,

I am working on replacing my rear wheel bearings and am about to put the new ones in. I want to shrink the bearing so it will slip in easily and have seen the great advice printed here on the board about freezing the parts.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=ST&f=5&t=12197

My idea up for discussion is what about using lower temperatures to get a greater shrinking effect. I have access to both liquid nitrogen and dry ice. Both have long been used in this context:

(quote ripped off a gas producer site)

" Shrink fitting
Cryogens such as Dry Ice, Liquid Carbon Dioxide, and Liquid Nitrogen can be used as low temperature refrigerants in shrink fitting of metal components. The process is rapid, effective and simple, and alleviates the possibility of damage of distortion through more traditional methods of force fitting, and metallurgical change caused by uneven or excessive local heating processes.

By using cryogens it is possible to reduce the dimension of one component from that of another by thermal contraction. When immediately offered up and fitted to the other component, and left to warm up and expand again to room temperature, a tight interference precision fit will be generated. Cryogenic shrink fitting can also be used to dismantle assemblies.

Shrink fitting can extend the life of roller bearings and other shaft fitted parts, as it maintains the interference fit for which the components were designed. When new bearings fail relatively quickly after installation, the chances are that although the bearing itself was sound, the improper installation cut short its life expectancy."

Does anyone have any concern about negatively effecting the metals in this process? For instance most are familiar with freezing a super strong bike lock in liquid nitrogen and smashing the now brittle lock with a hammer. I am certainly not going to freeze my bearing in liguid nitrogen and smack it into the hub with a hammer!

But lets say the thing slides right in and warms up in place, do you think the grease in the assembled bearing will be degraded by these very low temperatures? Or the plastic in the bearing cages changed, damaged? Or the metal does it become permanantly embrittled?

Any machinists or metalurgists out there? What do you guys think?

best Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 21)
andys
post Jul 28 2004, 10:41 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 28 2004, 08:16 AM)
QUOTE(andys @ Jul 28 2004, 08:04 AM)
...Can you post some evidence or a reference for this?

i wouldn't even begin to know where i packed my Chemical Rubber properties of materials handbook ...

take a rubber band and suspend horizontally. between pushpins, for example.
heat gently, as with a butane lighter; observe the phenomonon ...

As with NiTinol, your example is a special case where the manufacturing process (extrusion) governs this phenomenon. Here's what a a quick search brought up: http://www.efunda.com/materials/common_mat...atlProp=Thermal

Andy
+Quote Post
morph
post Jul 28 2004, 10:44 AM
Post #22

quality parts builder

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,389
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

water and rubber (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) we have winner kinda (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) good awnser artechnika.no prize on this round but the question only get harder.join us next time on james worthless questions!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 10:53 AM