Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Eng Drop ?, enter the hellhole
BatAc
post Jul 30 2004, 11:28 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,329

Must enter hellhole (rear suspension console shot, engine 'n' tranny want to go but she has a broken right rear leg {sittin' cockeyed} won't go. First time on engine drop. All stuff on top has been disconnected. I like the ATV jack concept. Question, those knuckle bustin' bolts down below what's the trick. On CV joint bolts I assume it's best to crack them 'fore I raise the car? Not much room to work with though. I have one of those 6 point (or how many there are) tools inside a box wrench. I've tapped with hammer (end of box wrench) to try to break, no dice. Would it be easier to remove the axles from the wheel side like in this photo instead of the traditional tranny side? Not that I'm real exicited to enter the hell hole but I would like to go 'gain.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bostonmeche
post Jul 30 2004, 11:35 AM
Post #2

1974 914-4 (some day a Suby conversion)

Member No.: 44
Region Association: North East States

I followed Pelicanparts.com instructions and it worked perfectly.

Just a note, the CV joint bolts use a 12pt tool. I used a Torx (6 pts) but I had to grind it down to sit tight enough to not strip the head. That said, I still stripped a bolt head, even after reading about it in Pelican's engine drop tech article. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) I would recommend buying the right tool. I know I am going to.
+Quote Post
BatAc
post Jul 30 2004, 11:48 AM
Post #3

What I have is a 12 point, jus' couldn't remember off the top of my head. It's a Powerbuilt 4pc internal wrench set. Still no dice in crackin' those babies, though. 'N' the photo didn't didn't upload for some reason.
+Quote Post
Joe.D
post Jul 30 2004, 11:54 AM
Post #4

MCMLXXIII MCCM

Member No.: 830

With the car on jacks, one wheel off, and suspension dangling. Use a 3 ft extension on the socket end of the 6 or 12 pt tool.

Insert the tool in from the outside the fender, over the brake disk, and onto the bolt at the TOP of the CV joint. Tap with a heavy hammer to make sure the tool is firmly seated in the bolt head. Clean any crud out of the bolt head first.

Lock the axle from rotating with ebrake, trans in gear and other wheel on the ground. a pry bar between two wheel bolts; whatever it takes so the axle won't rotate.

I recall I mange to get access to 2 bolts this way, then rotate to gain access to the others. Works a lot easier for me than the "up close" lying under the car method.
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jul 30 2004, 11:57 AM
Post #5

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I've had good luck with vice grips. Get a good new actual vice grip brand with sharp teeth on the jaws.. then get them as tight as you possibly can, and give em a good solid whack with a 3 lb sledge (clamp them on so that you're hammering on the back of the handle, the part with the adjuster screw). Works every time. If it doesn't work at least you haven't screwed up the inside (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
BatAc
post Jul 30 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #6

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jul 30 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I second bondo's advice, vice grips work GREAT for removing the bolts. I think some people use them for installing them also but that is not recommended. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
bryanthompson
post Aug 8 2004, 09:18 AM
Post #8

Check it out... 3 loops!

Member No.: 1,970

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
Was just wondering about your progress. I'll be attacking the hell-hole & suspension console as soon as my car gets here (about a month).
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 05:22 AM