Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eng Drop ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BatAc
Must enter hellhole (rear suspension console shot, engine 'n' tranny want to go but she has a broken right rear leg {sittin' cockeyed} won't go. First time on engine drop. All stuff on top has been disconnected. I like the ATV jack concept. Question, those knuckle bustin' bolts down below what's the trick. On CV joint bolts I assume it's best to crack them 'fore I raise the car? Not much room to work with though. I have one of those 6 point (or how many there are) tools inside a box wrench. I've tapped with hammer (end of box wrench) to try to break, no dice. Would it be easier to remove the axles from the wheel side like in this photo instead of the traditional tranny side? Not that I'm real exicited to enter the hell hole but I would like to go 'gain.
bostonmeche
I followed Pelicanparts.com instructions and it worked perfectly.

Just a note, the CV joint bolts use a 12pt tool. I used a Torx (6 pts) but I had to grind it down to sit tight enough to not strip the head. That said, I still stripped a bolt head, even after reading about it in Pelican's engine drop tech article. rolleyes.gif I would recommend buying the right tool. I know I am going to.
BatAc
What I have is a 12 point, jus' couldn't remember off the top of my head. It's a Powerbuilt 4pc internal wrench set. Still no dice in crackin' those babies, though. 'N' the photo didn't didn't upload for some reason.
Joe.D
With the car on jacks, one wheel off, and suspension dangling. Use a 3 ft extension on the socket end of the 6 or 12 pt tool.

Insert the tool in from the outside the fender, over the brake disk, and onto the bolt at the TOP of the CV joint. Tap with a heavy hammer to make sure the tool is firmly seated in the bolt head. Clean any crud out of the bolt head first.

Lock the axle from rotating with ebrake, trans in gear and other wheel on the ground. a pry bar between two wheel bolts; whatever it takes so the axle won't rotate.

I recall I mange to get access to 2 bolts this way, then rotate to gain access to the others. Works a lot easier for me than the "up close" lying under the car method.
bondo
I've had good luck with vice grips. Get a good new actual vice grip brand with sharp teeth on the jaws.. then get them as tight as you possibly can, and give em a good solid whack with a 3 lb sledge (clamp them on so that you're hammering on the back of the handle, the part with the adjuster screw). Works every time. If it doesn't work at least you haven't screwed up the inside smile.gif
BatAc
Thanks, I'll give it a try.
mightyohm
I second bondo's advice, vice grips work GREAT for removing the bolts. I think some people use them for installing them also but that is not recommended. blink.gif
bryanthompson
icon_bump.gif
Was just wondering about your progress. I'll be attacking the hell-hole & suspension console as soon as my car gets here (about a month).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.