Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Poll- Affordable Steel Flares
Affordable Steel Flares
Would You buy Steel flares if the price was @500 $ ?
Yes, I'm wanting wide wheels & tires stuffed under my fenders!! [ 30 ] ** [78.95%]
No, welding on flares will ruin my wax! [ 8 ] ** [21.05%]
Total Votes: 38
Guests cannot vote 
bulitt
post Oct 25 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #1

Achtzylinder

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

There seems to be several lines of thought on how to market and sell goods. You can sell low quantities at a very high price, or like the Walmart model sell tremendous volume at very low price.

Observing the success of Walmart over the years some (people smarter than me)
may reason this is a good model. High volume with small margins = alot of net income.

So with this in mind I struggle to believe that four steel flares sell for so much money $$$

C'mon man- material cost can't be over 60$ for all four flares?

So I realize that there are many costs with running a business and I realize the costs are spread out over the product line. I don't pretend to know the business, maybe they really do cost so much?

The reason for this poll is- If enough 914 owners vote to buy a set at reduced prices then just possibly the seller's will see the wisdom of volume pricing.

Plus I will be looking for a cheap set...LOL

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 25 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Didn't George from AA do a group buy last year? Don't remember the price. I would buy a set at $500 if my wallet allows. But I have bigger problems right now like a blown motor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Oct 25 2011, 03:43 PM
Post #3

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

You have to amortize the cost of the tooling, too. Materials don't cost much, but setting up to produce these is nontrivial.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Oct 25 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #4

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Ridiculous Poll, I'm not even going to Vote.

As much as I don't like George, the price on his Flares are not bad, especially if you got in on the Group Buy.

The much BIGGER Costs are Installation ( about $2,000) Different Suspension, Wheels, Brakes, etc

If you can't pay the Piper, don't play
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 25 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The group buy was almost 2 years ago. $550/set + $50 shipping. ~50 sets total sold. Group buy price was 40 sets minimum. I had fun working the group buy and even got a set for free but the time it took cost me more than the $600 I saved. My main reason for wanting to organize the buy was to make sure I would have a set for myself. I don't think $1K is a bad price for the flares but they weren't even in stock for that price when the group buy went down.

Just like painting a car, most the cost isn't in the materials. With the flares its the forms, set up, production, post production, fulfilment, ect. People, labor, machines, electric, heat, taxes, insurance, ect. These are a low production item and are pretty much hand made.

Add in the cost of welding, bodywork, paint, 5 lug, bigger wheels and tires.

+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Oct 25 2011, 04:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

When Porsche was selling these, they were well over $1000 for a set if you could find any.

George Hussey and AA did a great job in reproducing these, and are charging a fair price for them. It is the initial tooling costs that drive up the price. Once that is paid for, then a supplier can make some money on the product, but that original step to lay out the toolng money is a big step these days.

As was mentioned, the cost of the flares is only the start of a money drain to do it right, but it is worth it when it's all together!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 25 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 25 2011, 02:00 PM) *

Ridiculous Poll, I'm not even going to Vote.

As much as I don't like George, the price on his Flares are not bad, especially if you got in on the Group Buy.

The much BIGGER Costs are Installation ( about $2,000) Different Suspension, Wheels, Brakes, etc

If you can't pay the Piper, don't play

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Step up or step off... I bought them. They go on this winter. If you can't afford the car or hobby... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 25 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #8

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Kudo's to George and Restoration Design. Long live the group buy.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 25 2011, 04:42 PM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Here's a video of flare production - http://www.autoatlanta.com/g/flares.php
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Oct 25 2011, 04:56 PM
Post #10

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 25 2011, 06:15 PM) *

If you can't afford the car or hobby... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I thought that was why people drive NARPS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Oct 25 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #11

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(bulitt @ Oct 25 2011, 01:36 PM) *

There seems to be several lines of thought on how to market and sell goods. You can sell low quantities at a very high price, or like the Walmart model sell tremendous volume at very low price.

may reason this is a good model. High volume with small margins = alot of net income.

So with this in mind I struggle to believe that four steel flares sell for so much money $$$

So I realize that there are many costs with running a business and I realize the costs are spread out over the product line. I don't pretend to know the business, maybe they really do cost so much?

The reason for this poll is- If enough 914 owners vote to buy a set at reduced prices then just possibly the seller's will see the wisdom of volume pricing.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) you should go out and buy a 20,000 ton hydraulic press, have a set of male and female dies made to stamp out the flares and undercut all the other vendors. I'll be first in line to buy a set of your flares for 300.00. Oh don't forget you'll have to buy a set of flares from someone in order to have something for the machinist to make the dies from

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Oct 25 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #12

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819

Here's a bargain for ya.

NOS fenders- sorry, only 3 out of 4 available.

The prices show right side fenders are either NLA or higher in prices than the left.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
RON S.
post Oct 25 2011, 07:39 PM
Post #13

9140430841, FINALLY RUNNING

Member No.: 724

Bob,
I'm not sure what you are looking for in a straight answer. I can however give you some clarification on your perceived value of the $60.00 worth of metal in a flare set.

Having worked in manufacturing, and metal fabrication in particular, for all my adult life let me try to help you understand some basic manufacturing economics.

Lost in looking at the metal alone, you are not including the cost of all the equipment required to make that $60.00 worth of metal morph into a nice repo flare set.
Guy's like George at AA, and Pete at Restoration Design have spent the upfront money on the most modern equipment needed to produce parts that are high enough quality to merit consumer interest in buying their products at a retail level.
let's start with 40k for a Romer arm to digitize a copy of an original part. Then 7k for Solidworks to convert it to a vectored model. Then how about 2-300k for a multi axis horizontal or vertical machining center to mill out the punch and die blanks. Then another 2-300k for a 500ton press to hammer out he flare. Not to mention the labor for the skilled people qualified to operate this equipment.
Do the math, and anyone can quickly see that the asking price for the repo sheet metal parts is more than fairly priced. After all, these guys my love 914s, but at the end of the day they still have to feed their families. That means they have to turn a profit.

Some of us can remember that George at AA began teasing us about selling steel repo flares way back in the late 90's. It took him about 10 years to get it right, and when he did, around 2007, I jumped at it at $700 a set. A lot of us did, and I'll bet very few of us regretted it.

One should never put their own value on someone else's efforts unless you've been there done that themselves.

Just my 2cts. worth,
Ron
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 25 2011, 07:47 PM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(RON S. @ Oct 25 2011, 09:39 PM) *

Bob,
I'm not sure what you are looking for in a straight answer. I can however give you some clarification on your perceived value of the $60.00 worth of metal in a flare set.

Having worked in manufacturing, and metal fabrication in particular, for all my adult life let me try to help you understand some basic manufacturing economics.

Lost in looking at the metal alone, you are not including the cost of all the equipment required to make that $60.00 worth of metal morph into a nice repo flare set.
Guy's like George at AA, and Pete at Restoration Design have spent the upfront money on the most modern equipment needed to produce parts that are high enough quality to merit consumer interest in buying their products at a retail level.
let's start with 40k for a Romer arm to digitize a copy of an original part. Then 7k for Solidworks to convert it to a vectored model. Then how about 2-300k for a multi axis horizontal or vertical machining center to mill out the punch and die blanks. Then another 2-300k for a 500ton press to hammer out he flare. Not to mention the labor for the skilled people qualified to operate this equipment.
Do the math, and anyone can quickly see that the asking price for the repo sheet metal parts is more than fairly priced. After all, these guys my love 914s, but at the end of the day they still have to feed their families. That means they have to turn a profit.

Some of us can remember that George at AA began teasing us about selling steel repo flares way back in the late 90's. It took him about 10 years to get it right, and when he did, around 2007, I jumped at it at $700 a set. A lot of us did, and I'll bet very few of us regretted it.

One should never put their own value on someone else's efforts unless you've been there done that themselves.

Just my 2cts. worth,
Ron

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) And look at the video I posted. A lot of time and manual labor goes into producing each flare. Then they have to be boxed and shipped. Like I said, my intention for the group buy was just to make sure a new run of them was made. I would of paid $1K if they had been available. I wish I had bought a 2nd set just to have tucked away for the future.
+Quote Post
jmill
post Oct 25 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #15

Green Hornet

Member No.: 9,038

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 25 2011, 05:00 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I got in on an AA group buy a few years ago and paid around $800 with FG rockers. I'd do it all over again if I had another car in need of them.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 25 2011, 08:10 PM
Post #16

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

If the group buy for the AA flares came around again, and the price was the same as last time, I think I would buy a set for another 914 (down the road) just to have in my attic. Assuming I live long enough to finish my six and then find a nice candidate for a quasi-hot rod six.

I actually think the AA group buy price was very reasonable too BTW.
+Quote Post
John
post Oct 25 2011, 08:31 PM
Post #17

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

QUOTE(bulitt @ Oct 25 2011, 01:36 PM) *

There used to be videos showing the manufacture of the flares. There were multiple operations and multiple strikes in the dies. Each took a different setup. Then there was a bunch of trimming that went along with it. I watched the videos once upon a time.

Then there was the original cost of the dies and the upkeep of the machinery and the storage of the dies.

Sorry, but sometimes oversimplification really gets to me.

+Quote Post
somd914
post Oct 25 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 12,741

As someone mentioned, the cost of the flares is just the start. I'd love them, I can afford the flares, can't afford the labor-intensive installation nor the wheels/tires to fill the flares, and I'd feel ridiculous with a stock 2.0 liter powering it. One of these days maybe it will happen for me...
+Quote Post
mikea100
post Oct 25 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 11,182
Region Association: North East States

$550 was a great deal. I'd buy a set in a heartbeat.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Oct 26 2011, 08:12 AM
Post #20

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Re-invent the wheel?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 01:08 PM