Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Good 911 front end conversion thread
-JR-
post Oct 29 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #1

Life goes faster at 150MPH

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,055

I've been searching the garage forum for a good thread on a 911 front end upgrade.

There seems to be a number of threads asking about individual questions.

I'm looking for some answers about...
1. What year 911 suspensions fit
2. What parts would be required (description rather than part numbers, unless you want to specify the part numbers for eash year)
3. Are there differences in the shock tube diameters and if so are there any parallels between 914 and 911
4. Caliper mountings, is there any variance in them through the years?
5. Any other important factors

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Oct 29 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,660
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(-JR- @ Oct 29 2011, 10:28 PM) *

I've been searching the garage forum for a good thread on a 911 front end upgrade.

There seems to be a number of threads asking about individual questions.

I'm looking for some answers about...
1. What year 911 suspensions fit
2. What parts would be required (description rather than part numbers, unless you want to specify the part numbers for eash year)
3. Are there differences in the shock tube diameters and if so are there any parallels between 914 and 911
4. Caliper mountings, is there any variance in them through the years?
5. Any other important factors

Thanks!

I have been told 78-89 911 complete front ends will bolt in. The 911, SC, Carrera and turbo will work. The better the car, the better the brakes.
Also been told don't mess with piece mill the front ends. Look for a complete front end , hub to hub with the rack , brakes, shocks, cross member and sway bar. You will save money buying a complete front end and it is easier to bolt in.

Just installed a 79 in one 914 and the only difference in the length of the steering shaft from the rack toward the stock linkage.

I just bought a Carrera front end from a 88 that will bolt into my 914 from LA Dismantlers. Ask for Joe!

I may be wrong and the experts here will correct me if I am.
+Quote Post
-JR-
post Oct 29 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #3

Thanks lightning.

I'm on Vancouver Island in BC Canada, parts car 911's unfortunetly don't come around too often. Shipping in is also expensive.

I have brakes already and Koni sport adj shocks that are for a 914. Not sure if I can reuse the Koni front end ones on a 911 strut.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Oct 30 2011, 04:41 AM
Post #4

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(-JR- @ Oct 30 2011, 01:59 AM) *

I have brakes already and Koni sport adj shocks that are for a 914. Not sure if I can reuse the Koni front end ones on a 911 strut.

Eric has an excellent and comprehensive '5-lug conversion' thread someplace. Try the Classic section.

Short version: '68-'89 fits.
'Big' (S- or A-caliper, 3.5" spacing) and 'Regular' (M-caliper, 3" spacing) occurred in most years - you have to check.
"Later" 911 (post-1976 or so) will probably have underbody antiroll bars. They're convenient but I don't like them. Underbody-bar A-Arms can be converted to take throughbody bars - I have never heard of anyone doing the reverse - but 911SC A-arms are plentiful.
"Early" Turbo brakes were just 20mm disks and aluminum S calipers. '79 and after used 25mm 'Carrera' disks, expensive BIG "917" 4-piston calipers and unusual hubs. They are massive, expensive, heavy overkill for almost any streetable 914.
I don't like the aluminum crossmember for a variety of reasons but I wouldn't consider it a deal killer - especially if you're staying with 19mm MC.

Specifically, you will need to look for struts that match your brakes and dampers. You will need to know if you have Koni-threaded Koni's or Boge-threaded Koni's - and get struts to match. With 3" or 3.5" brake saddles depending what you're trying to match.

So what you need - A-Arms, if you want to use 911 torsion bars. Struts to match your dampers and brakes. Tie rods, but you'll want the Turbo tie rods anyway. Hubs & disks - they'll need to match your calipers too.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Oct 30 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #5

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728
+Quote Post
-JR-
post Oct 31 2011, 10:36 AM
Post #6

Thanks Eric, I had been searching for front end converions / upgrades with no luck.

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 30 2011, 09:34 AM) *
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 04:48 PM