Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good 911 front end conversion thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
-JR-
I've been searching the garage forum for a good thread on a 911 front end upgrade.

There seems to be a number of threads asking about individual questions.

I'm looking for some answers about...
1. What year 911 suspensions fit
2. What parts would be required (description rather than part numbers, unless you want to specify the part numbers for eash year)
3. Are there differences in the shock tube diameters and if so are there any parallels between 914 and 911
4. Caliper mountings, is there any variance in them through the years?
5. Any other important factors

Thanks!
pdlightning
QUOTE(-JR- @ Oct 29 2011, 10:28 PM) *

I've been searching the garage forum for a good thread on a 911 front end upgrade.

There seems to be a number of threads asking about individual questions.

I'm looking for some answers about...
1. What year 911 suspensions fit
2. What parts would be required (description rather than part numbers, unless you want to specify the part numbers for eash year)
3. Are there differences in the shock tube diameters and if so are there any parallels between 914 and 911
4. Caliper mountings, is there any variance in them through the years?
5. Any other important factors

Thanks!

I have been told 78-89 911 complete front ends will bolt in. The 911, SC, Carrera and turbo will work. The better the car, the better the brakes.
Also been told don't mess with piece mill the front ends. Look for a complete front end , hub to hub with the rack , brakes, shocks, cross member and sway bar. You will save money buying a complete front end and it is easier to bolt in.

Just installed a 79 in one 914 and the only difference in the length of the steering shaft from the rack toward the stock linkage.

I just bought a Carrera front end from a 88 that will bolt into my 914 from LA Dismantlers. Ask for Joe!

I may be wrong and the experts here will correct me if I am.
-JR-
Thanks lightning.

I'm on Vancouver Island in BC Canada, parts car 911's unfortunetly don't come around too often. Shipping in is also expensive.

I have brakes already and Koni sport adj shocks that are for a 914. Not sure if I can reuse the Koni front end ones on a 911 strut.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(-JR- @ Oct 30 2011, 01:59 AM) *

I have brakes already and Koni sport adj shocks that are for a 914. Not sure if I can reuse the Koni front end ones on a 911 strut.

Eric has an excellent and comprehensive '5-lug conversion' thread someplace. Try the Classic section.

Short version: '68-'89 fits.
'Big' (S- or A-caliper, 3.5" spacing) and 'Regular' (M-caliper, 3" spacing) occurred in most years - you have to check.
"Later" 911 (post-1976 or so) will probably have underbody antiroll bars. They're convenient but I don't like them. Underbody-bar A-Arms can be converted to take throughbody bars - I have never heard of anyone doing the reverse - but 911SC A-arms are plentiful.
"Early" Turbo brakes were just 20mm disks and aluminum S calipers. '79 and after used 25mm 'Carrera' disks, expensive BIG "917" 4-piston calipers and unusual hubs. They are massive, expensive, heavy overkill for almost any streetable 914.
I don't like the aluminum crossmember for a variety of reasons but I wouldn't consider it a deal killer - especially if you're staying with 19mm MC.

Specifically, you will need to look for struts that match your brakes and dampers. You will need to know if you have Koni-threaded Koni's or Boge-threaded Koni's - and get struts to match. With 3" or 3.5" brake saddles depending what you're trying to match.

So what you need - A-Arms, if you want to use 911 torsion bars. Struts to match your dampers and brakes. Tie rods, but you'll want the Turbo tie rods anyway. Hubs & disks - they'll need to match your calipers too.
-JR-
Thanks Eric, I had been searching for front end converions / upgrades with no luck.

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 30 2011, 09:34 AM) *
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.