Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering rack lubification?
SirAndy
post Oct 30 2011, 05:51 PM
Post #1

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Is there anything special about the steering rack grease?

What came out of the rack i've been cleaning up looks like your off the mill black wheel bearing grease ...

Does it matter what i use in there?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jmill
post Oct 30 2011, 06:02 PM
Post #2

Green Hornet

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,038
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Very timely. I'm going to be putting mine in this week.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 30 2011, 06:21 PM
Post #3

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

I've read differing recommendations, from standard grease, to 75~90Wt hypoid oil - with sound reasoning on each side of the issue.

Here's one I ran across in reference to racks on MG's that I thought to be a good read:

... "The advantages of oil are many, but perhaps the most important reason why oil is specified by the manufacturer is that the bronze bushings which the rack slides through are porous. By "soaking up" the oil, the bushing is then able to self-lubricate the rack even if the oil runs low. The same type of bushing is used elsewhere in the car including the generator, which is designed to be soaked in oil for 24 hours before installation. If grease is used instead, it can clog the pours of the bushing, reducing its ability to self-lubricate. Grease can also trap unwanted particles or debris where it can cause premature wear on the bushings and rack.

Another advantage of oil over grease is that it flows through the rack from side to side as you steer, keeping all surfaces constantly lubricated. This constant flow of oil also washes away any undesirable particles and allows them to settle out, in theory leaving fresh, clean oil on the rack. Grease will tend to be pushed out to the side where it will remain forever, doing nothing except to prevent rust wherever it collects.
" ...
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 30 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

From those handy factory manuals. LM-47 is LubroMoly CV Joint grease, available at your friendly neighborhood Original Customs, for a whopping $5. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Oct 31 2011, 07:08 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

Good to know this. That stuff looks perfect, the 'liqui-moly' seems the same as 'lubri-moly', seems they came up with the idea of adding molybdenum disulfide to oil in 1957 is how they got their name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liqui_Moly
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Oct 31 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

I used water resistant boat trailer bearing grease to combat the rain water intrusion . YMMV....

Jack
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Oct 31 2011, 09:36 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 30 2011, 05:21 PM) *

I've read differing recommendations, from standard grease, to 75~90Wt hypoid oil - with sound reasoning on each side of the issue.

Here's one I ran across in reference to racks on MG's that I thought to be a good read:

... "The advantages of oil are many, but perhaps the most important reason why oil is specified by the manufacturer is that the bronze bushings which the rack slides through are porous. By "soaking up" the oil, the bushing is then able to self-lubricate the rack even if the oil runs low. The same type of bushing is used elsewhere in the car including the generator, which is designed to be soaked in oil for 24 hours before installation. If grease is used instead, it can clog the pours of the bushing, reducing its ability to self-lubricate. Grease can also trap unwanted particles or debris where it can cause premature wear on the bushings and rack.

Another advantage of oil over grease is that it flows through the rack from side to side as you steer, keeping all surfaces constantly lubricated. This constant flow of oil also washes away any undesirable particles and allows them to settle out, in theory leaving fresh, clean oil on the rack. Grease will tend to be pushed out to the side where it will remain forever, doing nothing except to prevent rust wherever it collects.
" ...

Just one more place for a British car to leak oil. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 31 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #8

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 30 2011, 06:16 PM) *
From those handy factory manuals. LM-47 is LubroMoly CV Joint grease, available at your friendly neighborhood Original Customs, for a whopping $5. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Sweet! Price me out a tube of that gunk and a speedo angle drive unit would ya? I'll send you a PM.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 08:21 PM