Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering rack lubification?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Is there anything special about the steering rack grease?

What came out of the rack i've been cleaning up looks like your off the mill black wheel bearing grease ...

Does it matter what i use in there?
idea.gif
jmill
popcorn[1].gif

Very timely. I'm going to be putting mine in this week.
euro911
I've read differing recommendations, from standard grease, to 75~90Wt hypoid oil - with sound reasoning on each side of the issue.

Here's one I ran across in reference to racks on MG's that I thought to be a good read:

... "The advantages of oil are many, but perhaps the most important reason why oil is specified by the manufacturer is that the bronze bushings which the rack slides through are porous. By "soaking up" the oil, the bushing is then able to self-lubricate the rack even if the oil runs low. The same type of bushing is used elsewhere in the car including the generator, which is designed to be soaked in oil for 24 hours before installation. If grease is used instead, it can clog the pours of the bushing, reducing its ability to self-lubricate. Grease can also trap unwanted particles or debris where it can cause premature wear on the bushings and rack.

Another advantage of oil over grease is that it flows through the rack from side to side as you steer, keeping all surfaces constantly lubricated. This constant flow of oil also washes away any undesirable particles and allows them to settle out, in theory leaving fresh, clean oil on the rack. Grease will tend to be pushed out to the side where it will remain forever, doing nothing except to prevent rust wherever it collects.
" ...
McMark
From those handy factory manuals. LM-47 is LubroMoly CV Joint grease, available at your friendly neighborhood Original Customs, for a whopping $5. laugh.gif
nathansnathan
Good to know this. That stuff looks perfect, the 'liqui-moly' seems the same as 'lubri-moly', seems they came up with the idea of adding molybdenum disulfide to oil in 1957 is how they got their name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liqui_Moly
jaxdream
I used water resistant boat trailer bearing grease to combat the rain water intrusion . YMMV....

Jack
underthetire
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 30 2011, 05:21 PM) *

I've read differing recommendations, from standard grease, to 75~90Wt hypoid oil - with sound reasoning on each side of the issue.

Here's one I ran across in reference to racks on MG's that I thought to be a good read:

... "The advantages of oil are many, but perhaps the most important reason why oil is specified by the manufacturer is that the bronze bushings which the rack slides through are porous. By "soaking up" the oil, the bushing is then able to self-lubricate the rack even if the oil runs low. The same type of bushing is used elsewhere in the car including the generator, which is designed to be soaked in oil for 24 hours before installation. If grease is used instead, it can clog the pours of the bushing, reducing its ability to self-lubricate. Grease can also trap unwanted particles or debris where it can cause premature wear on the bushings and rack.

Another advantage of oil over grease is that it flows through the rack from side to side as you steer, keeping all surfaces constantly lubricated. This constant flow of oil also washes away any undesirable particles and allows them to settle out, in theory leaving fresh, clean oil on the rack. Grease will tend to be pushed out to the side where it will remain forever, doing nothing except to prevent rust wherever it collects.
" ...

Just one more place for a British car to leak oil. lol-2.gif
Gint
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 30 2011, 06:16 PM) *
From those handy factory manuals. LM-47 is LubroMoly CV Joint grease, available at your friendly neighborhood Original Customs, for a whopping $5. laugh.gif
Sweet! Price me out a tube of that gunk and a speedo angle drive unit would ya? I'll send you a PM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.