Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coolant hose sizing, 914s are air-cooled? But SHO-914s are H2O!
3d914
post Oct 30 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm gathering data for my 914-SHO conversion about getting the coolant from the front to the mid-engine position. The fitting sizes on the engine appear to 1-1/4" for inlet and 1-1/2" for outlet.

I don't have the fitting sizes on the radiator - you think they'd match, but that's not a given. Still doing more research there.

I'd like to get the supply hose down to 1" and the return to 1-1/4" to make routing along the body easier.

Any thoughts, experiences from the V8/V6 folks?

TIA,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Oct 30 2011, 08:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,590

Buick 3.8 V6 (about 275 hp), 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". I used stainless tubing under the car. No cooling problems.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 30 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #3

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

On my V8 I used Drake 1" hose. Temps always around 165. On my rotary I switched to 1-1/8" hose because the engine runs hotter by design. Temps constant 180.

Either way will work for you. The Renegade Hybrid adapters are very restrictive they go from 1.5" to 7/8", but they seem to work fine. I eliminated all adapters for my rotary. I built just one 1-3/4" to 1-1/8" for the lower rad outlet.
+Quote Post
Emmerich
post Oct 30 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 12,491
Region Association: None

On my Chevy I used to have 1.0 to the radiator and 1.25 back to the water pump, now I have 1.25 all around. I still have overheating issues, working on speeding up the water pump. Jegs, Summit, and others have a lot of connectors and hoses for changing diameters, check those out when you need them.
+Quote Post
strawman
post Oct 31 2011, 12:52 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

I used 1" ID hose from engine to radiator, and 1.25" from radiator to engine, for my turbocharged Subaru setup. I used silicone reducer hoses to mate up with the Subaru and Griffin inlets/outlets as needed. You can buy 'em at frozenboost.com, as well as aluminum hose connectors and continuous smooth-bore hose clamps so you don't damage the silicone hoses.

Of course, my car is not yet running (!!!), so YMMV.
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Nov 1 2011, 05:36 AM
Post #6

Extended Member

Member No.: 5,895
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 30 2011, 11:18 PM) *

On my V8 I used Drake 1" hose. Temps always around 165. On my rotary I switched to 1-1/8" hose because the engine runs hotter by design. Temps constant 180.

I was curious whether 1" hose will work for a V8 setup. I believe I've got 1 1/4", maybe 1.5" now, I'll have to measure. Do you think a 1" hardline will fit down the longs? I'm planning on giving this a try early next year, as I'm largely funny about soft hoses being run straight down the middle of the pans. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

The only thing I really want to avoid are 90* bends. I've got a dedenbear electric water pump and I'd hate to bog it down with restrictive flow...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 12:13 AM