Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coolant hose sizing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
I'm gathering data for my 914-SHO conversion about getting the coolant from the front to the mid-engine position. The fitting sizes on the engine appear to 1-1/4" for inlet and 1-1/2" for outlet.

I don't have the fitting sizes on the radiator - you think they'd match, but that's not a given. Still doing more research there.

I'd like to get the supply hose down to 1" and the return to 1-1/4" to make routing along the body easier.

Any thoughts, experiences from the V8/V6 folks?

TIA,
Phoenix-MN
Buick 3.8 V6 (about 275 hp), 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". I used stainless tubing under the car. No cooling problems.
Mike Bellis
On my V8 I used Drake 1" hose. Temps always around 165. On my rotary I switched to 1-1/8" hose because the engine runs hotter by design. Temps constant 180.

Either way will work for you. The Renegade Hybrid adapters are very restrictive they go from 1.5" to 7/8", but they seem to work fine. I eliminated all adapters for my rotary. I built just one 1-3/4" to 1-1/8" for the lower rad outlet.
Emmerich
On my Chevy I used to have 1.0 to the radiator and 1.25 back to the water pump, now I have 1.25 all around. I still have overheating issues, working on speeding up the water pump. Jegs, Summit, and others have a lot of connectors and hoses for changing diameters, check those out when you need them.
strawman
I used 1" ID hose from engine to radiator, and 1.25" from radiator to engine, for my turbocharged Subaru setup. I used silicone reducer hoses to mate up with the Subaru and Griffin inlets/outlets as needed. You can buy 'em at frozenboost.com, as well as aluminum hose connectors and continuous smooth-bore hose clamps so you don't damage the silicone hoses.

Of course, my car is not yet running (!!!), so YMMV.
BajaXJ92
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 30 2011, 11:18 PM) *

On my V8 I used Drake 1" hose. Temps always around 165. On my rotary I switched to 1-1/8" hose because the engine runs hotter by design. Temps constant 180.

I was curious whether 1" hose will work for a V8 setup. I believe I've got 1 1/4", maybe 1.5" now, I'll have to measure. Do you think a 1" hardline will fit down the longs? I'm planning on giving this a try early next year, as I'm largely funny about soft hoses being run straight down the middle of the pans. blink.gif

The only thing I really want to avoid are 90* bends. I've got a dedenbear electric water pump and I'd hate to bog it down with restrictive flow...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.