Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bought a door on Ebay for $40, No dents no rust...till I get it
thomasotten
post Aug 3 2004, 01:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,349

I bought this '73 passenger side door on Ebay, you know the "no dents, no rust" kind that they are always selling. When I open the package, which was insufficiently packaged for such a heavy item, I immediately notice a big dent in the front. Frantically, I reach around and pop it out. Then I notice it has got at least 4 other dents in the panel that will need to be fixed.

The door is complete with glass and mechanisms, and inner door handle (not outer). I really only bought the door because mine is wavy, and I would rather just use a straight door than try to fix a wavy one.

I am not sure if the door hardware and glass is worth $40, perhaps it is, but I don't need the hardware. If I file a claim, I am sure UPS will pick it up and trash it.

Should I just keep the door, or should I get my $40 back? And why can't people pack better?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 3 2004, 08:29 AM
Post #2

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Keep it, all the hardware is worth the $40, it really is. If the door is that bad, even strip it and then junk the shell (recycle it). But even doors will be hard to find someday so I would even think one needing some work will be worth something.

Speaking of which, I picked up a pair of doors for a buddies 914 that are pretty straight and only have some rust along the bottom. He only needs the drivers door. Would you like the passanger one? $40? I would have to ship from Seattle though.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 3 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

B << hundreds and hundreds of door in any color you like... but they fetch 100-150$ depending on condition.

You get what you pay for.

B
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Aug 3 2004, 09:30 AM
Post #4

Well, I was hoping to have a bondo free door. Dream on, I guess. Anyway, this was supposed to be from a 73, but I didn't see a reinforcement bar along the inner skin. Shouldn't it have one?
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Aug 3 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #5

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

I think (and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) that the brace was a mid-73 change.

BTW I am taking my doors completely apart for painting. Now I have not even looked at it so it might be self explanatory but ?How do you get the chrome frame / window out of the door? I'm sure it is easy just thought I'd ask.

Thread hijacker OUT
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Aug 3 2004, 02:02 PM
Post #6

I think you remove the post, bolted at the bottom. Then, the glass unbolts from the mechanism.

It is funny, this door I bought was originally silver, was repainted a darker gray, and the spray-can painted black. Makes me think the car that this came from had a hard life. Do other sports cars get treated so crappy, or is it just the 914?
+Quote Post
anthony
post Aug 3 2004, 03:03 PM
Post #7

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

The problem is the low entry price of a 914. The more expensive a car the more it gets babied and fixed up properly when something gets damaged.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:40 PM