Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a door on Ebay for $40
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I bought this '73 passenger side door on Ebay, you know the "no dents, no rust" kind that they are always selling. When I open the package, which was insufficiently packaged for such a heavy item, I immediately notice a big dent in the front. Frantically, I reach around and pop it out. Then I notice it has got at least 4 other dents in the panel that will need to be fixed.

The door is complete with glass and mechanisms, and inner door handle (not outer). I really only bought the door because mine is wavy, and I would rather just use a straight door than try to fix a wavy one.

I am not sure if the door hardware and glass is worth $40, perhaps it is, but I don't need the hardware. If I file a claim, I am sure UPS will pick it up and trash it.

Should I just keep the door, or should I get my $40 back? And why can't people pack better?
Root_Werks
Keep it, all the hardware is worth the $40, it really is. If the door is that bad, even strip it and then junk the shell (recycle it). But even doors will be hard to find someday so I would even think one needing some work will be worth something.

Speaking of which, I picked up a pair of doors for a buddies 914 that are pretty straight and only have some rust along the bottom. He only needs the drivers door. Would you like the passanger one? $40? I would have to ship from Seattle though.
Brad Roberts
B << hundreds and hundreds of door in any color you like... but they fetch 100-150$ depending on condition.

You get what you pay for.

B
thomasotten
Well, I was hoping to have a bondo free door. Dream on, I guess. Anyway, this was supposed to be from a 73, but I didn't see a reinforcement bar along the inner skin. Shouldn't it have one?
tdgray
I think (and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong) that the brace was a mid-73 change.

BTW I am taking my doors completely apart for painting. Now I have not even looked at it so it might be self explanatory but ?How do you get the chrome frame / window out of the door? I'm sure it is easy just thought I'd ask.

Thread hijacker OUT
thomasotten
I think you remove the post, bolted at the bottom. Then, the glass unbolts from the mechanism.

It is funny, this door I bought was originally silver, was repainted a darker gray, and the spray-can painted black. Makes me think the car that this came from had a hard life. Do other sports cars get treated so crappy, or is it just the 914?
anthony
The problem is the low entry price of a 914. The more expensive a car the more it gets babied and fixed up properly when something gets damaged.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.