Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 photo object, dude, whatitiz?
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Nov 6 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,727

So I'm in the 914 today, driving on the interstate, doing 68-70. I notice that a '90s era Civic has been hanging at my 7 o'clock for more than a few miles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
As he draws closer, just about even with my door, I see that the two guys in this "riced" Civic coupe are high school/college age. Then the passenger draws his cell phone and (I'm assuming) shoots a pic of the 914. Then the driver boots it and quickly accelerates away.

I'm guessing that they may not have ever seen a 914 before. As much as I am on the road, I have only seen 2 914s on the streets this year so far.

Come to think of it, the cars that were contemporaries of the 914 are pretty scarce as well. I don't recall seeing any Vegas, Pintos, Mavericks, Fiat 850s, or Alfa Romeo derivatives. TR-6s, X1/9s, MGBs, C3 Corvettes and '70s Jaguars, though not commonplace, are seen with a frequency that the 914s appearance cannot begin to approach. As a type this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) , I realize that I've seen way more Ferrari 308s on the street than I have 914s.

There are probably a few people out there who have no idea what kind of car that we are enamored with. That's just as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
VaccaRabite
post Nov 6 2011, 09:54 PM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Yeah.
Here on the right coast, most of them that I see are so far rusted that they would not even make parts cars.

Aside from 914 world events I see a few a year here. That said, most car people know what they are - even the ricers.

Zach
+Quote Post
patssle
post Nov 6 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

I have only seen 2 914s on the streets this year so far.

Got ya beat...I've never seen a single 914 on the road in Houston. Ever. (other than my own of course)
+Quote Post
speed metal army
post Nov 6 2011, 10:50 PM
Post #4

Waiting for the rain to stop...

Member No.: 12,137
Region Association: Canada

I actually had a car full(5 of em)of 20 ish looking kids taking pictures of my car on the highway from the the front/rear and both sides.The both sides was accomplished by much gesturing on thier part to make me understand that they wanted me in the right lane.Im sure they had no clue what I was driving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The constant "thumbsup" I was getting from these dudes made me happy tho.I dont like that much attention at the best of times! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bob L.
post Nov 6 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,411
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm aware that there are one or two others in Austin, But I never seen 'em. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Heck, I didn't know about any around here till I got mine.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
flash914
post Nov 6 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,554
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The other car in my garage is a 1970 British racing green MG B roadster. Even here in southern califorina I still get thumbs up on both. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
RickS
post Nov 6 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,880

On a sunny day with the top off, stopped in a line of cars waiting to turn, and there were 4 teenage boys checking out the car. No doubt out here in the boonies they didn't have a clue what it was, but it was obvious by their eyeballing they thought it was cool. One yelled, 'Nice car'.

914s seem to transcend time in their coolness even if the youngsters more than likely don't have a clue what they are.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 7 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #8

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

No doubt Paul, Old School rules! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
johannes
post Nov 7 2011, 03:48 AM
Post #9

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

Here in France, I have never crossed a 914 outside an event.

+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 7 2011, 05:11 AM
Post #10

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE(patssle @ Nov 6 2011, 11:35 PM) *

Got ya beat...I've never seen a single 914 on the road in Houston. Ever. (other than my own of course)

My friend Gary Purser lives in Houaton and has a very nice original six.

They are out there, you guys just don't see them cause they don't get em out very often. I know of at least 20 in Tulsa that run, and I'll bet there are a few more I don't know about. I'd bet its the same way in most citys of half million or more.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Nov 7 2011, 07:29 AM
Post #11

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Back with my black car in New Mexico I never once got recognition. Here in Indiana with my Ice Green car I constantly get thumbs up (probably the big PORSCHE script down the side). That or they appreciate cars more in the midwest...
+Quote Post
chandler1969
post Nov 7 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,352

Myself and a couple of friends went for a nice Sunday drive down some country roads. Heading out from Lexington we got alot of people rubber necking, honking and thumbs up. It was a perfect day for a drive.

Here are the cars (not the greatest pic) 73 2.1, 74 2.0 and 75 2.0:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
patssle
post Nov 7 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 10,741

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 7 2011, 03:11 AM) *

They are out there, you guys just don't see them cause they don't get em out very often. I know of at least 20 in Tulsa that run, and I'll bet there are a few more I don't know about. I'd bet its the same way in most citys of half million or more.

Is his 914/6 blue? I saw an original six with Webers at a local classic-Porsche mechanic.

I do know of a couple 914s in Houston - and actually saw one at a guys house. But all that doesn't count for being on the street!
+Quote Post
ewdysar
post Nov 7 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #14

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

I wave at any 914 I see, but even in SoCal I don't see that many.

I recently got my 1916 Model T operable again and have been driving it locally while the 914 is in the shop. I'm kind of surprised at how many people ask what brand of car it is (it has Ford scripts on many of the pieces). I don't expect that average people recognize the difference between T's and A's, but "Model T" has become almost a universal term for really old cars, like Kleenex for tissues. I get a lot of honks, waves and the cars full of young guys are really interested.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 7 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #15

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

My favorite was when a couple of guys pulled up .... looked the teener over ... and then one said, "It's a classic isn't it?".

I yelled back, "Yeh, and so am I.".
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Nov 10 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #16

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

I took my 914 to the Petit Lemans at Road Atlanta in late September. We parked in the Porsche Corral and I had many great Porsche people come over and tell me how much they liked the 914's. There were also several other great 914-6's the "4 Grins" 914-6 was a perfect car.
Anywho I got to run two laps with the Porsche Club on the track on Friday, 4S 996 Carrera in front of me and a Turbo Panamera behind me, the old girl held her own just fine. when we exited the track up the steep hill some smart ass yelled to me "Get a real Porsche". I ignored the buttwipe and thought to myself, I just had two laps on Road Atlanta with the top off and you are walking up a hill, "kiss my ass" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)
You know what I mean.

914's Rock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
Ericv1
post Nov 10 2011, 01:42 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 8,518
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 6 2011, 10:37 PM) *

So I'm in the 914 today, driving on the interstate, doing 68-70. I notice that a '90s era Civic has been hanging at my 7 o'clock for more than a few miles. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
As he draws closer, just about even with my door, I see that the two guys in this "riced" Civic coupe are high school/college age. Then the passenger draws his cell phone and (I'm assuming) shoots a pic of the 914. Then the driver boots it and quickly accelerates away.

I'm guessing that they may not have ever seen a 914 before. As much as I am on the road, I have only seen 2 914s on the streets this year so far.

Come to think of it, the cars that were contemporaries of the 914 are pretty scarce as well. I don't recall seeing any Vegas, Pintos, Mavericks, Fiat 850s, or Alfa Romeo derivatives. TR-6s, X1/9s, MGBs, C3 Corvettes and '70s Jaguars, though not commonplace, are seen with a frequency that the 914s appearance cannot begin to approach. As a type this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) , I realize that I've seen way more Ferrari 308s on the street than I have 914s.

There are probably a few people out there who have no idea what kind of car that we are enamored with. That's just as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Paul

I travel between Northern Kentucky and Mason, Ohio every week and haven't seen a 914 on the road for two years. They're scarce around Cincinnati. Even at Porches 2 Oxford theirs only a handful every year.

+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 10 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #18

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE(patssle @ Nov 7 2011, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 7 2011, 03:11 AM) *

Is his 914/6 blue? I saw an original six with Webers at a local classic-Porsche mechanic.

I do know of a couple 914s in Houston - and actually saw one at a guys house. But all that doesn't count for being on the street!

Pearl white. He's also into tc's. has a couple of em.
+Quote Post
keske968
post Nov 10 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 6,778

You know its a classic when you are unloading it off the trailer sans engine and some kids drive by. Stop, back up and yell "What year is that and what is it?" Followed by "Cool car!"
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Nov 11 2011, 03:45 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 10,148
Region Association: Northern California

I had my car in the driveway cleaning out my garage when two kids from down the street walked up and asked what it was and commented on how cool it looked. They said they have been watching the progress and liked the addition of the flares. I can't wait to get it on the road.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 08:36 AM