Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 photo object
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
So I'm in the 914 today, driving on the interstate, doing 68-70. I notice that a '90s era Civic has been hanging at my 7 o'clock for more than a few miles. confused24.gif
As he draws closer, just about even with my door, I see that the two guys in this "riced" Civic coupe are high school/college age. Then the passenger draws his cell phone and (I'm assuming) shoots a pic of the 914. Then the driver boots it and quickly accelerates away.

I'm guessing that they may not have ever seen a 914 before. As much as I am on the road, I have only seen 2 914s on the streets this year so far.

Come to think of it, the cars that were contemporaries of the 914 are pretty scarce as well. I don't recall seeing any Vegas, Pintos, Mavericks, Fiat 850s, or Alfa Romeo derivatives. TR-6s, X1/9s, MGBs, C3 Corvettes and '70s Jaguars, though not commonplace, are seen with a frequency that the 914s appearance cannot begin to approach. As a type this type.gif , I realize that I've seen way more Ferrari 308s on the street than I have 914s.

There are probably a few people out there who have no idea what kind of car that we are enamored with. That's just as well shades.gif

Paul
VaccaRabite
Yeah.
Here on the right coast, most of them that I see are so far rusted that they would not even make parts cars.

Aside from 914 world events I see a few a year here. That said, most car people know what they are - even the ricers.

Zach
patssle
I have only seen 2 914s on the streets this year so far.

Got ya beat...I've never seen a single 914 on the road in Houston. Ever. (other than my own of course)
speed metal army
I actually had a car full(5 of em)of 20 ish looking kids taking pictures of my car on the highway from the the front/rear and both sides.The both sides was accomplished by much gesturing on thier part to make me understand that they wanted me in the right lane.Im sure they had no clue what I was driving biggrin.gif The constant "thumbsup" I was getting from these dudes made me happy tho.I dont like that much attention at the best of times! biggrin.gif
Bob L.
I'm aware that there are one or two others in Austin, But I never seen 'em. confused24.gif

Heck, I didn't know about any around here till I got mine.
flash914
biggrin.gif The other car in my garage is a 1970 British racing green MG B roadster. Even here in southern califorina I still get thumbs up on both. driving.gif
RickS
On a sunny day with the top off, stopped in a line of cars waiting to turn, and there were 4 teenage boys checking out the car. No doubt out here in the boonies they didn't have a clue what it was, but it was obvious by their eyeballing they thought it was cool. One yelled, 'Nice car'.

914s seem to transcend time in their coolness even if the youngsters more than likely don't have a clue what they are.
Tom_T
No doubt Paul, Old School rules! biggrin.gif
johannes
Here in France, I have never crossed a 914 outside an event.

TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(patssle @ Nov 6 2011, 11:35 PM) *

Got ya beat...I've never seen a single 914 on the road in Houston. Ever. (other than my own of course)

My friend Gary Purser lives in Houaton and has a very nice original six.

They are out there, you guys just don't see them cause they don't get em out very often. I know of at least 20 in Tulsa that run, and I'll bet there are a few more I don't know about. I'd bet its the same way in most citys of half million or more.
rnellums
Back with my black car in New Mexico I never once got recognition. Here in Indiana with my Ice Green car I constantly get thumbs up (probably the big PORSCHE script down the side). That or they appreciate cars more in the midwest...
chandler1969
Myself and a couple of friends went for a nice Sunday drive down some country roads. Heading out from Lexington we got alot of people rubber necking, honking and thumbs up. It was a perfect day for a drive.

Here are the cars (not the greatest pic) 73 2.1, 74 2.0 and 75 2.0:
Click to view attachment
patssle
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 7 2011, 03:11 AM) *

They are out there, you guys just don't see them cause they don't get em out very often. I know of at least 20 in Tulsa that run, and I'll bet there are a few more I don't know about. I'd bet its the same way in most citys of half million or more.

Is his 914/6 blue? I saw an original six with Webers at a local classic-Porsche mechanic.

I do know of a couple 914s in Houston - and actually saw one at a guys house. But all that doesn't count for being on the street!
ewdysar
I wave at any 914 I see, but even in SoCal I don't see that many.

I recently got my 1916 Model T operable again and have been driving it locally while the 914 is in the shop. I'm kind of surprised at how many people ask what brand of car it is (it has Ford scripts on many of the pieces). I don't expect that average people recognize the difference between T's and A's, but "Model T" has become almost a universal term for really old cars, like Kleenex for tissues. I get a lot of honks, waves and the cars full of young guys are really interested.
SLITS
My favorite was when a couple of guys pulled up .... looked the teener over ... and then one said, "It's a classic isn't it?".

I yelled back, "Yeh, and so am I.".
Vysoc
I took my 914 to the Petit Lemans at Road Atlanta in late September. We parked in the Porsche Corral and I had many great Porsche people come over and tell me how much they liked the 914's. There were also several other great 914-6's the "4 Grins" 914-6 was a perfect car.
Anywho I got to run two laps with the Porsche Club on the track on Friday, 4S 996 Carrera in front of me and a Turbo Panamera behind me, the old girl held her own just fine. when we exited the track up the steep hill some smart ass yelled to me "Get a real Porsche". I ignored the buttwipe and thought to myself, I just had two laps on Road Atlanta with the top off and you are walking up a hill, "kiss my ass" KMA.gif
You know what I mean.

914's Rock aktion035.gif

Vysoc flag.gif
Ericv1
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 6 2011, 10:37 PM) *

So I'm in the 914 today, driving on the interstate, doing 68-70. I notice that a '90s era Civic has been hanging at my 7 o'clock for more than a few miles. confused24.gif
As he draws closer, just about even with my door, I see that the two guys in this "riced" Civic coupe are high school/college age. Then the passenger draws his cell phone and (I'm assuming) shoots a pic of the 914. Then the driver boots it and quickly accelerates away.

I'm guessing that they may not have ever seen a 914 before. As much as I am on the road, I have only seen 2 914s on the streets this year so far.

Come to think of it, the cars that were contemporaries of the 914 are pretty scarce as well. I don't recall seeing any Vegas, Pintos, Mavericks, Fiat 850s, or Alfa Romeo derivatives. TR-6s, X1/9s, MGBs, C3 Corvettes and '70s Jaguars, though not commonplace, are seen with a frequency that the 914s appearance cannot begin to approach. As a type this type.gif , I realize that I've seen way more Ferrari 308s on the street than I have 914s.

There are probably a few people out there who have no idea what kind of car that we are enamored with. That's just as well shades.gif

Paul

I travel between Northern Kentucky and Mason, Ohio every week and haven't seen a 914 on the road for two years. They're scarce around Cincinnati. Even at Porches 2 Oxford theirs only a handful every year.

TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(patssle @ Nov 7 2011, 04:12 PM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 7 2011, 03:11 AM) *

Is his 914/6 blue? I saw an original six with Webers at a local classic-Porsche mechanic.

I do know of a couple 914s in Houston - and actually saw one at a guys house. But all that doesn't count for being on the street!

Pearl white. He's also into tc's. has a couple of em.
keske968
You know its a classic when you are unloading it off the trailer sans engine and some kids drive by. Stop, back up and yell "What year is that and what is it?" Followed by "Cool car!"
raw1298
I had my car in the driveway cleaning out my garage when two kids from down the street walked up and asked what it was and commented on how cool it looked. They said they have been watching the progress and liked the addition of the flares. I can't wait to get it on the road.
BKLA
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Nov 10 2011, 11:19 AM) *

... some smart ass yelled to me "Get a real Porsche". I ignored the buttwipe and thought to myself, I just had two laps on Road Atlanta with the top off and you are walking up a hill, "kiss my ass" KMA.gif
You know what I mean.

914's Rock aktion035.gif

Vysoc flag.gif

The guy probably wouldn't know a "real" porsche (ie: the original beetle) if it ran is ass over... twice! biggrin.gif
raw1298
I was having kitchen cabinets delivered yesterday and the girl making the delivery kept looking at my car. She finally said "that looks like a cool project, what is it?" When I told her it was a Porsche she staired with a puzzled look, like I was joking around with her. She was probably all of 26 so I guess she has never seen one.
Kraftwerk
My 914 gets way more positive attention than any other vehicle I have ever owned. You wouldn't believe it. Well actually you would, since you ALL have 914's.
Though, lets admit it: Eric is totally winning this with his Ford Model T or is that an A?
JMKnight
WTF.gif I don't know, as I drove around Michiana this Summer I got a lot of comments from people concerning the 914. Most of them knew exactly what the car was. Even a few really young ones. I guess I can blame Need for Speed, Porsche Unleashed for their knowledge. Some even HAD a 6'er at one time, BUT they all wished that they had kept it!
JTarver
Well here in Arkansas, you never see 914's around, unless I go by JT's house over near where I live. Aside from that, you just don't see them.
I get all kinds of positive attention whenever I drive mine, which is often.
I was at a Colton's Steakhouse not too long ago with the top off, and outside waiting on a bench waiting for our table, when these two high school kids came up admiring the car, and one was feverishly taking pics of it. I made some comment to him and we started talking about the car.
He loved it and had been wanting one for some time. Obviously, I told him to come to the 914 site, and pick one up for a good deal.

It would be nice to have another teener around town to run into occasionally.

Just another reason I love my little car the way I do. Even when she misbehaves. headbang.gif

Joe
Speedster Mike
QUOTE(chandler1969 @ Nov 7 2011, 06:47 AM) *

Myself and a couple of friends went for a nice Sunday drive down some country roads. Heading out from Lexington we got alot of people rubber necking, honking and thumbs up. It was a perfect day for a drive.

Here are the cars (not the greatest pic) 73 2.1, 74 2.0 and 75 2.0:
Click to view attachment

Chandler,
I'm just down the road a bit in Louisville! ....I only know of a couple 914s around here! You rarely ever see one out though. I just got the motor back in mine and I try to drive it every week end if the weather permits. Let me know if you and your buddys ever come this way or vise versa!

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.