Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Converting to a 914-6, Back yard Bob's (Dan's) way
Root_Werks
post Aug 5 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #1

Village Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay, so this is about the 5th 914-6 conversion I have done. They are all drivers to this day. Heck, Even Craigh Laughlin has one of my old ones! My goal is to put as many 914-6's out on the road as possible since I think that is what the desing intended for them to be anyway. Anyway, I have heard soem thoughts about costs or how hard it is to convert. Nah, just time really. yeah, a few parts, but mostly just some time. Lets visit the part$ shall we. You will probalby need the following (as in not worth making):

Tank - Lots-o-options, but don't spend over $500 on one
Headers - $450 - 500
Mount - Zowie! Lots-o-options here as well. I have a jig to make my own, it works, but takes time. It is not hard, but takes a lot of time. I gave up and grabbed a patrick moly mount just today. I am running out of time.

Everyting else, you can make or do yourself. I will show you how in this thread over the next couple of weeks since that is all the time I have left!

Here is a shot of the holes drilled for the oil tank. Yep, I am using a Vellios tank yet again. They work great and use the later filters. Also, you can go down to your local industrial supply shop and have them make the pressure hose for like $40. The suction hose is even easier, but more on that later.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 5 2004, 12:28 PM
Post #2

Village Idiot

If you are using a factory or factory style tank, you will need to drill these holes. Local hardware hole saws work great. I have had mine for years. Note the lowest hole (for pressure line) is not on a raised area. I made a template that gives me the exact center for this hole. Anyone wants it, send me a SESE. But, don't send one yet as I have many more templates I will show you later.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 5 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #3

Village Idiot

BTW - that is just dust on my trunk lid.

One more for now, the 911 engine on the ground with an early 911 flywheel. I used a dremil and marked the timming marks and then put a little paint on them as well. Viola! You have a 914-6 flywheel. Easy! This is a 2.2T engine, so I am using stock 914-4 clutch parts (yeah, they work fine).

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 5 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #4

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

This should prove interesting.
What motor are you using?

You say you have a "shop" but haven't identified it (or I missed it)....it's OK to do that here....I think (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
You may even drum up some biddness by doing so.

Do "we" get to nit-pick?....assuming you have some nits to pick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Aug 5 2004, 12:47 PM
Post #5

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Hey, why didn't you come to the dinner at Duke's last month?? I would've enjoyed talking with another "converter".

PK (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
736conver
post Aug 5 2004, 01:13 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736

I havent done mulitple conversions but I agree it can be done cheaper.
My 914-6 mount is home made.
I made my own oil lines even converted my oil cooler to a 90 degree fitting.
Found my oil tank used for $200.
Got my engine from a rusted out 911. Turned around and sold the 911 for parts and made money.
Homemade headers from the 911 heat exchangers.

It can be done cheap just have to find the "deals". Also you can make some of the things yourself and save a ton of money.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 5 2004, 01:27 PM
Post #7

Village Idiot

Yeah! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) You guys have the right idea and attitudes! I love it!

Yeah, I had to break down and buy 914-6 headers today from GPR. Grrrr. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) They cut me a great price (GPR rocks!) but I shouldn't have had to spend a dime on the headers. I had 911 ones ready to modify, but had a friend who needed some (converting 912-911) so not even a rusty set to replace them. Oh well, whats another $400? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) Same with the tin, I think I spent $20 on it? The hanger like $25?

Time, it mostly takes time.

My shop is called Root's German Werks. I have just operated it out of my garage at my house for about 3-4 years now. I even use to sponser PCA events from time to time. I have slowed it down a bit though as I work full time of course. My wife, Michelle and I have until the 20th to get this done. That is our Whistler trip with the Canada West region. So watch for posts up to then on this thread. I promise you won't be disapointed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 5 2004, 01:33 PM
Post #8

Village Idiot

Out with the old.....

Eric Paine is coming up tonight to grab the MPS off this 1.7 as well as anything else he wants. After that, I think it will make a great door stop?

Tip - Don't just toss the engine. Some stuff can be removed to use off of it! One would be the rear tin. Did you know if you turn it around and make a few small bends and drill a couple of holes, it works perfect on a 914-6 conversion? Yep! It does. I will take pictures tonight of the tin work and templates I have. Post them tomorrow.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 5 2004, 01:35 PM
Post #9

Village Idiot

QUOTE(9146986 @ Aug 5 2004, 10:47 AM)
Hey, why didn't you come to the dinner at Duke's last month?? I would've enjoyed talking with another "converter".

PK (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Duke's? Fill me in, I am still new to the list. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Aug 5 2004, 01:45 PM
Post #10

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

I dig this kind of resourcefulness
+Quote Post
airsix
post Aug 5 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #11

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Who are you, Root_Werks? And will you accept if I nominate you for President of the United States? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

I hate the "can't do it" culture and I eagerly look forward to the rest of your thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
red914
post Aug 5 2004, 03:05 PM
Post #12

...i believe in coyotes and time as an abstract...

Member No.: 1,641

Root rawks!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) post more pictures!
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Aug 5 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #13

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I already love this thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

tracking this topic ...now.

I will want templates , of course.

Goal for me is to have a six in the barn by the end of the year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Thank you for the realistic approach tot his project.
I'll ignore those who chime in with their negative comments and " you're dreaming " talk. I've concluded from the small amount of research I've done that the project should go for less than $4k.

You will show us the way to do it for less. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)

Trekkor
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Aug 5 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #14

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I'm already sensing a " classic " in the making. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 6 2004, 08:13 AM
Post #15

Village Idiot

Lets talk tin shall we? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) BTW - thanks for all the support, I will post $$$ along with a project like this.

Tin, tin, tin. what to do? Spend $450-500 on someone's decent metal stuff or $200 on the fiberglass stuff? Ooooooor:

Go down to the local hardware store and pick up a large sheet of 22 gauge mild steel and do it yourself? Hmm, lets visit that one shall we. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I mentioned earlier that you can use the 4cyl rear tin by simply turning it around and making a slight mod to it and drill out a couple small holes for mounting. Well here is the picture of what you need to do to that peice. I didn't drill the little mounting holes yet, but that one is easy, just put the piece on and mark any of the little threaded 6x1.0 holes on the back of the engine. I wanted to show the mod for making the tin fit centered flipped around. Are you ready, this is a tough one so pay attention here:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 6 2004, 08:18 AM
Post #16

Village Idiot

Ooooooo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) That looks tough huh? I cut a few small slits in what was the passanger side of the tin and now the drivers side and bent them in just a tad to push the tin to the right of the car just a little bit. Dang! Is it all this easy? Not quite, lets see about the other 3 pieces. I have plywood templates copied from factory tin for all 5 pieces, but found I didn't need to make my own rear sections. So you only really have to make the sides and front. Here are some of those shots:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 6 2004, 08:20 AM
Post #17

Village Idiot

A closer shot of the 3 peices you have to make and the templates. If you can see, note the holes in the plywood, I use a center punch and tap through those for perfectly alinged mounting holes. Each tin fits over the plywood peice nice and tight.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 6 2004, 08:22 AM
Post #18

Village Idiot

What all the pieces look like together. I painted them black last night and drilled the last of the mounting holes. I didn't drill for heater hoses, but my templates have the hole centers and sizes for those as well.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 6 2004, 08:24 AM
Post #19

Village Idiot

Another angle. You will notice that I had to tac together the front piece. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) I was cheap and bought the $20 sheet instead of the larger $25 one. Usually I can make this long piece all out of one piece, not two.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
michelko
post Aug 6 2004, 08:25 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,404

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Very impressive work, canĀ“t wait to see more, much more, please

Michael

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:48 AM