Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Converting to a 914-6, Back yard Bob's (Dan's) way
Root_Werks
post Aug 6 2004, 08:32 AM
Post #21

Village Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So there you have the tin! 22 gauge can be cut with a really good snippers, or you can use a little jig saw, either way I clean it up with a little grinder. You know what? After you install these, they look great! It is not show quality, but they do the job and even look good. Over the years I have made some sets for people, but they understand it is not a professional job. To bend 90degree corners on a radias, I simply slit, slit, slit, slit, bend, bend, bend..... I have gone back over and welded, grinded those smooth before, but it is a waist as you don't see them once installed. You only see the flat finished parts. People who have seen my tin can't tell. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Okay, lets look at the tank I am using. It is a Vellios tank, like the 3rd one I have used. I like them, good price, in a lot of conversions so you know they work now. Some of his earlier stuff didn't have baffles in the tank which caused the oil to foam up blowing up engines. That was a lot of years ago though. There are a ton of options for tanks, but you can pick up a V tank for under $500 which makes it a good buy.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 6 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #22

Village Idiot

Note on the above picture I used the AN fittings. The pickup is just a 3/4 slip on and hose clamp thing. The pressure line I used a fitting and hose from a local industrial supply place. Funny, you walk in and say, I could use about 8ft of 3/4 oil line and these couple of fittings. They ask if it is for a backho or cat or something. Nah, just a car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) You can do whatever with lines, the pressure line is easy. Get an AN adapter for the V tank (Usually come with it) and an AN adapter for the engine block. They are cheap, the lines are cheap. I think I spent $50 on everthing for lines? I will show you a way to do the oil cooler soon.

Here is a shot with tank in car. I removed the fan shroud and carbs so you can see better. What a nice guy am I? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 6 2004, 08:46 AM
Post #23

Village Idiot

Okay! Moving along, what about the exhaust? Well, usually I grab old 911 heaters and mod them. But with no time and no 911 heater boxes, I spent the money from GPR (They rock, did I mention that?) and grabbed a set of Bursch ones. yeah, yeah, the paint sucks, whatever, go buy some more if it bothers you that much. They work and fit great. I should get them today. So how to hang them? We know the 1.7 hanger I have won't work? If you have a 2.0 hanger you still have to mod it. Sigh, so what to do? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Oh hey! I have a 914-6 hanger template! That's right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Lets get fancy and go buy a sheet of $25 aluminum that is like 1/8 stock. Cut that out, clean up the edges, drill two holes and done! Don't even have to paint it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 6 2004, 08:56 AM
Post #24

Village Idiot

That is a "Real" 914-6 hanger next to mine for comparing the two side by side. Nothing too tough. Just takes time. BTW - I did all of this work in about 4-5 hours. So the time even isn't too bad.

Okay, I am out of pictures, but will keep posting as my work progresses. I will try to get a few shots of the engine install (already in, but just hanging there).

With me running out of time and buying the moly mount from Patrick and headers from GPR, there really isn't much left to do. Isn't that wierd? After this, you are almost done!

More later..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
cardiaceagle
post Aug 6 2004, 05:27 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 2,335

Great post.
To you and all the others who take the time
and effort to make this site so great......
THANK YOU !!!

P.S. Enjoy Whistler !!! But watch out for radar
on hiway 99 .....the cops here are cherry pickers.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Air_Cooled_Nut
post Aug 6 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #26

914 Ronin - 914 owner who lost his 914club.com

Member No.: 584
Region Association: None

I hate to place a post in here because too many inturrupt the flow...but...how do you get the oil tank into the side and how is it mounted? Everybody mentions the cost and specialities of it but never how to install/mount (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Aug 6 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

The tank has threaded studs these go through holes in the inner fender and are bolted up...

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Aug 6 2004, 06:59 PM
Post #28

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I think that this is great, BUT how would a person like me (just doing one conversion) make some templates for the tin? I don't have originals to go off of lest I would use them. Are you in the market for selling a set? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Thanks for posting all of this!
Mike
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 6 2004, 08:07 PM
Post #29

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

That is a "Real" 914-6 hanger next to mine

9146 uses a 914 stock 2.0 hanger... no different.

B
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Aug 6 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,349

I want my TIN TEMPLATES!

Thread of the year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 6 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #31

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Cool project! FWIW I got the sheet metal and Bursch headers from GPR. I had the headers Jet-Hot coated as Bursch paint sucks donkey dick (Zoisism). Believe it or not, I got a very nice repro muffler hanger from AA for around $18 on eBay! (Plus $35 shipping, LOL).

Keep us posted on the project.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 09:03 AM
Post #32

Village Idiot

In answer to the tank question about mounting, yes, there are two small studs that stick out..... Maybe a better approach would be to say when you drill holes in the 914 for the tank, all but one hole has a "raised area". So it is almost a no-brainer. You just drill out all the raised circles. I made a template for the last hole that doesn't have a raised area (pressure line).

Not too worry for anyone, I will make avaible templates that are mailable or even offer some home-made tin for folks. It takes a while to make and the templates are hard to make. But the exhaust hanger, oil tank hole and other little things I would be happy to pass along.

Okay, I must start sending pics of what I did over the weekend! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 9 2004, 09:07 AM
Post #33

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I will make avaible templates that are mailable or even offer some home-made tin for folks. It takes a while to make and the templates are hard to make. But the exhaust hanger, oil tank hole and other little things I would be happy to pass along.

Pay yourself 10$ an hour... is it really worth the money saved making some your own ?

B
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 09:08 AM
Post #34

Village Idiot

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 6 2004, 06:07 PM)
That is a "Real" 914-6 hanger next to mine

9146 uses a 914 stock 2.0 hanger... no different.

B

I thought the 2.0-4 was a little longer on the end (as in have to shave off like 1/8 inch at the lower mount holes) than a 914-6?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 09:18 AM
Post #35

Village Idiot

Well, I didn't get the 914 fired off as a 914-6 this weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Ran into a few small snags which just come with using old parts. Two time costly ones were one exshuast stud that just wouldn't come out that needed to be drilled etc... I replaced 8 studs in all down there. Also, the alternator, carbs and such I took off,,,, so yeah, I had to put all that back on.

Well, like I said earlier, I have a jig for making a cross bar. Lets visit that and Dan's opinions of mounts shall we. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I like the patrick moly mount a lot. That thing rocks! It is light, tough as hell and a no-brainer to install. No doubt the bulk head mount Rich makes is a better system, but it costs time to install, not as easy. Lets look at some things:

Factory mounts, one bolt held up the front of the engine! Plus, the GT's had extra steal welded in to help brace them up.

Richs bulk head mount rocks! I have installed 2 on cars before. To do them right, it takes some time. they are much, much stronger than the factory bulk head system.

Cross bars - you can get the striaght bars - Don't, they get in the way of everything. Here is a picture of the Patrick moly mount I grabbed next to my jig. I have made a couple for myself and a friend. Mine are ugly and made of mild steal and suck compared to Patricks mount. I can make them, but no time with this one. Oh well. The cross bar works great and sometimes I wonder while mounting the factory 911 engine mounts in the 914-4 mounting spots if Porsche didn't do that on purpose? Like maybe there was a factory 914-6 cross bar in the works? Hey, you never know! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 09:19 AM
Post #36

Village Idiot

OOps! Wrong picture, sorry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #37

Village Idiot

A quick picture of the tin painted and all mounting holes drilled.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 09:23 AM
Post #38

Village Idiot

And of course a shot of the crapy paint, but nice Bursch headers. I don't bother re-painting them. It would take 100 years for them to rust with the way I drive and the weather I drive in. They fit good and the price is certainly right. I wish I would have had a set of 911 headers to modify for you. Maybe some other time. Also, there is a way you can set up a heater with these! I won't have the time before Whistler to put something together, but will add that one for sure when Summer draws to a close.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 09:25 AM
Post #39

Village Idiot

Oh yeah, the 911 engine mounts that go in place of the little steal bars when using the bar 914-6 mount. I didn't take any, but will try to get more pictures of the mount in place, where and how I routed cables all this week.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 09:58 AM
Post #40

Village Idiot

Alrighty then! Enough looking at overpriced parts. What about making some more parts Dan????? Oh yeah, lets keep it cheap shall we! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

The next part we will be making is the shift bar. I have only converted post 73 cars, so I know exactly how to straighten out those bars only. Lets use my 73 1.7 side shifter for this example. I only have the two pictures, sorry about that. I got all tied up in doing it when I realized I hadn't taken any pictures! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Here is the proccess:

Take your bar and cut if off about 3/4 of an inch away from the shifter coupling end that goes into the body of the car(firewall). So you would have the shifter coupling and oval plate the boot fits on and about 3/4 of an inch of pipe left. The little stub of pipe should be srtaight. Now, the second cut will be a little tricky. I wish I would have taken pictures of this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) If you buy a pipe, you wind up with a striaghter bar too.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 03:01 PM