Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Converting to a 914-6, Back yard Bob's (Dan's) way
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 10:00 AM
Post #41

Village Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Actually, if you notice there is a slight, slight bend in mine. If you make them perfectly straight, they seem to bind just a tad. So I put just a little bend in mine. Here is another shot with paint on it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 10:06 AM
Post #42

Village Idiot

Here is a shot installed, no header pipes on this side yet. You can also sort of see the front pressure oil line just under the shift bar. Oh hey, and check out the really cool aluminum muffler hanger! Isn't that coooooooool? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If you don't bend the shifter bar straight, it will hit the headers.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 10:08 AM
Post #43

Village Idiot

Another shot with the right header up, but not tightened up yet, so it is sitting a little low.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 10:16 AM
Post #44

Village Idiot

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 9 2004, 07:07 AM)
I will make avaible templates that are mailable or even offer some home-made tin for folks. It takes a while to make and the templates are hard to make. But the exhaust hanger, oil tank hole and other little things I would be happy to pass along.

Pay yourself 10$ an hour... is it really worth the money saved making some your own ?

B

$20 for the 22 gauge mild steel, 4-5 hours for making the tin(cause I have done it before), so YEAH! I would rather spend the $70 paying myself to make the tin than $450 to have someone else do it! Granted, mine is not as nice, but dang, once in the car, you can't tell at all! I think the tin is the bigest savings. The headers probably the next and the bar a close 3rd.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 10:32 AM
Post #45

Village Idiot

One last picture I took. Quality stinks, but I tried to get a shot of the oil tank in the fender. You can see it..... Sort of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

My next series of pictures will be on the throttle linkage. Buy the bellcrank thing, they 911 rod from eng to trans? Nah! Go spend $1.99 on a rod and see what you have lying around the garage. I will show you how to even still use the factory 914-4 throttle cable (Cheaper and much more available).

Plus, - simple 3 wire CD box wiring, finally my batter relocate shots and maybe even my running 914-6 down on the ground. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So not to worry, still more to come!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2004, 11:05 AM
Post #46

Village Idiot

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Aug 6 2004, 04:59 PM)
I think that this is great, BUT how would a person like me (just doing one conversion) make some templates for the tin? I don't have originals to go off of lest I would use them. Are you in the market for selling a set? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Thanks for posting all of this!
Mike

I have sold sets in the past as long as the buyer understands it is just a guy snipping and bending and doing a little welding. I am not stamping these things out. I will post some pics of the tin installed and if people want, I can make sets to sell. Like the 3 pieces for $150 if you use your 4cyl tin for the back piece sort of thing. This last set wasn't my finest, but good. They are a little wavy compared to others I have done.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 10 2004, 07:44 AM
Post #47

Village Idiot

I finally fired off the little 2.2T engine last night for the first time in this car. Only a few minor things that surprised me. One was someone removed the little fuel cut off sileniod so I had a brief garden hose of fuel draining onto the floor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Got it fired off, set the timing and carbs just a tad to a rather smooth idle and snappy throttle response. Sounds good, sounds real good.

I didn't have any time to take pics, but will go through what I did on the throttle linkage hopefully tomorrow for everyone as well as some other little things.

As for templates, I will gladly make templates for those who want what I have. I will list everything out later that I have made.

More soon.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
airsix
post Aug 10 2004, 09:23 AM
Post #48

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

Dan (or anyone else reading this cool thread),
Anybody have a pattern/template/measurements for a bulkhead motor mount? I've got matterials and tools - I just need to know where to cut-n-bend.

Cool thread.

-Ben
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Aug 10 2004, 09:34 AM
Post #49

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Don't think I will ever do a conversion but this is still a great thread. Thanks Dan.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 10 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #50

Village Idiot

QUOTE(airsix @ Aug 10 2004, 07:23 AM)
Dan (or anyone else reading this cool thread),
Anybody have a pattern/template/measurements for a bulkhead motor mount? I've got matterials and tools - I just need to know where to cut-n-bend.

Cool thread.

-Ben

I worked with a914guy - Rich on this a while back. I was going to use his piece that mounts on the firewall and develope a piece that mounts on the engine that didn't require using part of the 911 mount. But after looking into it more carefully, Rich has really done a great job on his mount. If you try to make one from scratch ( I have twice and not been happy, scrapped both of them) be warned, it is trail and error. Rich has already gone through all of that for the bulkhead mount. Right after I got my Patrick Moly mount (awesome mount for a cross bar) I noted Rich selling his complete mount kit on eBay for $325 buy-it-know. UGH! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) I would have grabbed one, my timming was off by one day. Bummer and oh well.

The only reason I have usually made the bars is because they are easy and cheap to make.

I would still love to develope a bulk head mount. If you start planing anything, let me know. I might have some good feedback of my failures for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 10 2004, 10:52 AM
Post #51

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 10 2004, 07:39 AM)
... Patrick Moly mount (awesome mount for a cross bar) ...

Note that there have been a couple of failures of Patrick's cross-bar mount. At least one was a 3.6 (lotsa torque!) but I think that there have been failures with smaller motors as well.

Patrick's response in those cases appears to have been, "Gee--that's too bad. We have an improved version now, want to buy one at full price?"

...I really can't recommend Rich's motor mount strongly enough!! (Yes, we do sell it at Pelican. Rich sells it as well, and I'm pretty sure other places do too.)

--DD
+Quote Post
airsix
post Aug 10 2004, 11:02 AM
Post #52

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 10 2004, 07:39 AM)
... If you try to make one from scratch ( I have twice and not been happy, scrapped both of them) be warned, it is trail and error. (snip)

I would still love to develope a bulk head mount. If you start planing anything, let me know. I might have some good feedback of my failures for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm afraid I'll have to make one. You see, I justified buying all these tools by telling my wife all the things I could make with them and how it would save money in the long run... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Aug 10 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #53

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Me too!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowtorch.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)

Trek
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 10 2004, 02:17 PM
Post #54

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Trekkor,

when was the last time you saw a 9146 take TTOD ?

B
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Aug 10 2004, 02:27 PM
Post #55

I do things...

Our friend Bill Pickering...He's fast.

Trek (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 10 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #56

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

He took TTOD at our event. He hasnt had a TTOD at a PCA event...

Stick to your 4cyl.

B
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Aug 10 2004, 02:59 PM
Post #57

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Ah...how soon they forget..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Yes...I took TTOD at 2004 WCC... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I have 2 LPR TTOD's and 1 GGR TTOD.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

PCA stuff....

Now for the confession.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

There are 2 regulars that I haven't beaten head to head when they show up...Steve Nieslony and Tom Provasi.

I've been been with thousandths of Steve....but it has to be a horsepower course...If it's Marina he'll kick my ass...With Tom....I've never been closer than half a second...on a tight course (Millerton Lake, Fresno). If it's on a HP course I haven't sniffed his exhaust.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ultimately, I will not be able to be competitve in Auto-x if I continue with my plan for a dual purpose auto-x/track car...Steve, Andrew B., Brad, Randal, Trekkor can or are building lightweight cars. If it's a Nieslony killer (~1400lbs) you just can't beat that.

But I'll go down with my right foot to the floor!!!!

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 10 2004, 03:08 PM
Post #58

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

A Six will take TToD at any event that Provasi shows up to. (With a working car.) The Orange Crate has a large-displacement Six in it. It was a 3.5 when he bought it, but I think he's swapped or rebuilt the motor since then. Not sure if it went up or down in displacement...

A 914-6 has taken TToD at Parade just about every year for the last decade. Provasi (numerous times), Dave Ferguson, and one guy about three years ago whose name escapes me.

--DD
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Aug 10 2004, 03:23 PM
Post #59

I do things...

Bill, you were thousandth's behind Nieslony at Reno both days.

Breathe out as you cross the line and you take him! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

Winter SIX is coming...don't try and stop me.

If I hate it, rebuilt big four goes back in with money from sold SIX.

I can't lose (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Crazy T (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Aug 10 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #60

I do things...

Oh and BTW, I'll never take TTOD in a street legal 4 or 6.
Don't know if anyone has?
It's for fun. I'll never be a real racer.

Root Works, proceed. Lead us to the SIX! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

Trekkor
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:42 AM