Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bought a Tig
rick 918-S
post Nov 12 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #1

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I have wanted one for years but couldn't justify having it just sit around unused. The best price I found for an D\C A\C machine was $ 1495.00 This one is a new product from Eastwood. I've only tested it out a couple time but I'm very satified.

$ 745.00 free shipping, 3 year warrentee. Right now I'm using to tig up pin holes left after stitching on the rear flare on Irv and Dan's car. The holes are so small you can hardly see them with a light shining from the back side. All you need to do for most of them is buzz them with the tig and they are sealed

Attached Image
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Nov 12 2011, 02:40 PM
Post #2

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Nov 12 2011, 02:55 PM
Post #3

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I need one too.
+Quote Post
dion9146
post Nov 12 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,071
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My neighbor is an airline mechanic, and they are cross training him with some welding skills. He was frustrated last night because they are teaching him how to TIG weld paper thin stainless steel.

I'm jealous - always wanted a TIG welder....
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Nov 12 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,782

Nice. The thumb control looks much better than when I last checked out Eastwood's tig welder - it was attached by zip ties.

I need to get a thumb control setup for my Miller.

The 'divots' in the center on a few of the welds, you can avoid that by shutting the torch off more slowly, it'll make the weld an "outtie", rather than an "innie".

I've found a larger tank, size K is the way to go -they charge just as much to fill the smaller one that I had at first.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.914club.com-11782-1291419668.7.jpg)
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Nov 12 2011, 03:24 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Looks like a good buy Rick. I've had a Miller TIG welder over a year now but find myself using my MIG (the glue-gun of welders) for most things. TIG is great but takes lots of practice to be good at it. I've gotten really good at sharpening tungsten rods. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Nov 12 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #7

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Double post.... Damn iPhone !
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Nov 12 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #8

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Just tig aluminum... No sharpening needed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My aluminum still looks like a ham fisted gorilla ... Wait... A gorilla would do a better job than me. But I like trying!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 12 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #9

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Still getting use to the foot peddle. For just closing up holes the thumb switch works but as noted it will leave a slight crater as it's just an on/off switch. I found if I swirl the puddle at the end just before releasing the switch the crater is mostly non-existent.

For the money it's a nice hobby shop tool. I haven't run a tig since welding school over 30 years ago. But I probably burned a water tower size set of oxy/act tanks gas welding. Same theory and basic technic except when you add the peddle... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Nov 12 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I was looking at the eastwood one a few weeks ago
its a great price....

I wasn't sure if it was built well enough
good to hear a nice review!

brant
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 12 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #11

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(brant @ Nov 12 2011, 05:06 PM) *

its a great price....

brant

Couple things, These were designed and tested by the R&D dept at Eastwood in P.A. I believe. They are built off shore like lots of other things we buy. If that bugs you don't buy one. The warrentee is great.

The gas input is too close to the bottom of the machine. I ended up notching my harbor freight welding cart so the lip on the cart would clear the hose. the wire connections where they pass into the coupler are loose. Not a big deal but I could see pulling out the wires if you were careless. The two wires on the peddle are like 14' long and are a mess. I taped them together. I wanted to shrink wrap them but I didn't feel like unsoldering the connections to remove the connectors to get the shrink tube over the wires. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I had the foot peddle stick "on" a couple times. I ended up pulling the cover and adjusting the switch trigger and tighening up the screws on the exterior peddle shaft. General quality control issue. All in all, these things didn't bug me enough to think it made the product bad or really effect the outcome of the welds.

The little welding I have done with the machine was good. I ran a test bead on a piece of light aluminum angle but rapidly realized it was anodized. I really have not had the time to sit back down and give it a go again.

All in all, $ 750.00 bucks? for an D/C A/C tig?
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Nov 12 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,782

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 12 2011, 01:57 PM) *

Still getting use to the foot peddle. For just closing up holes the thumb switch works but as noted it will leave a slight crater as it's just an on/off switch. I found if I swirl the puddle at the end just before releasing the switch the crater is mostly non-existent.

For the money it's a nice hobby shop tool. I haven't run a tig since welding school over 30 years ago. But I probably burned a water tower size set of oxy/act tanks gas welding. Same theory and basic technic except when you add the peddle... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Ah that makes sense. I'll have to get this thing, $200, the RCCS-14, for my syncrowave. The Eastwood is equivalent to the on/off RCC-14.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/salestores.com-11782-1321144602.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Nov 12 2011, 06:38 PM
Post #13

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 12 2011, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Nov 12 2011, 05:06 PM) *

its a great price....

brant

Couple things, These were designed and tested by the R&D dept at Eastwood in P.A. I believe. They are built off shore like lots of other things we buy. If that bugs you don't buy one. The warrentee is great.

The gas input is too close to the bottom of the machine. I ended up notching my harbor freight welding cart so the lip on the cart would clear the hose. the wire connections where they pass into the coupler are loose. Not a big deal but I could see pulling out the wires if you were careless. The two wires on the peddle are like 14' long and are a mess. I taped them together. I wanted to shrink wrap them but I didn't feel like unsoldering the connections to remove the connectors to get the shrink tube over the wires. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I had the foot peddle stick "on" a couple times. I ended up pulling the cover and adjusting the switch trigger and tighening up the screws on the exterior peddle shaft. General quality control issue. All in all, these things didn't bug me enough to think it made the product bad or really effect the outcome of the welds.

The little welding I have done with the machine was good. I ran a test bead on a piece of light aluminum angle but rapidly realized it was anodized. I really have not had the time to sit back down and give it a go again.

All in all, $ 750.00 bucks? for an D/C A/C tig?

I don't know when you bought this, but Eastwood has a special going right now-
999$ for a TIG and a plasma cutter!

Eastwood deal

+Quote Post
John
post Nov 12 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #14

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

Can that do aluminum? I see you say it is AC / DC so I would assume you can, but I would rather know for sure.

That is a great price.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 12 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #15

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(John @ Nov 12 2011, 07:23 PM) *

Can that do aluminum? I see you say it is AC / DC so I would assume you can, but I would rather know for sure.

That is a great price.

Yep, Aluminum too. And it will run on both 110/220!

The adaptor cord comes with the welder. Just plug it in to the adaptor cord and start welding. No switches, rewiring, nothing. I haven't tried it yet but I will. This means you can bring this welder any where and weld both steel and aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd-u-nTL0yM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF3n9fqUo2s&feature=relmfu
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 12 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #16

Hey nice rack! -Celette

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-ac-dc-tig-200-welder.html

Looks like I bought this a week too early. Price just dropped again! $ 699.99!
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Nov 12 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #17

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

I bought one of these second hand local about 2 months ago new in box and never used for $400(but no warranty). I can MIG like a monkey, but this TIG reminds me more of oxy-acetylene and it's cool! I've only been working with the foot pedal so far, and at workbench height I like it. I'm sure a pro level machine can do some things better, but as you said, for a hobby machine it does just fine.
+Quote Post
Brodie
post Nov 13 2011, 08:37 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,990

I've always said a good tig welder is like animal off of the muppets. You have to be one billy bad A$% trap set drummer to get all your limbs coordinated to run the thing. I'm not so good at it, but I saw a lincoln rep weld the foil from two juicy fruit wrappers together. He really was an animal!

I have to keep reminding myself that practice makes perfect.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Nov 13 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

I was told by my welding instructor, "If you can TIG weld very good horizontally, vertically and upside down, (what? upside down??) you can find employement almost anywhere". All it takes is patience, practice, and a steady hand. I'm 0 for 3. TIG to me is like rubbing your tummy and patting your head while balancing on one foot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Jul 12 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #20

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Hey Rick, how do you like the Eastwood after having it for a while now? I'm considering one of these. The price looks to have gone up a bit - $899 now.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 09:23 PM