Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a Tig
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
I have wanted one for years but couldn't justify having it just sit around unused. The best price I found for an D\C A\C machine was $ 1495.00 This one is a new product from Eastwood. I've only tested it out a couple time but I'm very satified.

$ 745.00 free shipping, 3 year warrentee. Right now I'm using to tig up pin holes left after stitching on the rear flare on Irv and Dan's car. The holes are so small you can hardly see them with a light shining from the back side. All you need to do for most of them is buzz them with the tig and they are sealed

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Nice thumb3d.gif aktion035.gif
URY914
I need one too.
dion9146
My neighbor is an airline mechanic, and they are cross training him with some welding skills. He was frustrated last night because they are teaching him how to TIG weld paper thin stainless steel.

I'm jealous - always wanted a TIG welder....
nathansnathan
Nice. The thumb control looks much better than when I last checked out Eastwood's tig welder - it was attached by zip ties.

I need to get a thumb control setup for my Miller.

The 'divots' in the center on a few of the welds, you can avoid that by shutting the torch off more slowly, it'll make the weld an "outtie", rather than an "innie".

I've found a larger tank, size K is the way to go -they charge just as much to fill the smaller one that I had at first.
IPB Image
Elliot Cannon
Looks like a good buy Rick. I've had a Miller TIG welder over a year now but find myself using my MIG (the glue-gun of welders) for most things. TIG is great but takes lots of practice to be good at it. I've gotten really good at sharpening tungsten rods. lol-2.gif welder.gif
Cheers, Elliot
BKLA
Double post.... Damn iPhone !
BKLA
Just tig aluminum... No sharpening needed smile.gif

My aluminum still looks like a ham fisted gorilla ... Wait... A gorilla would do a better job than me. But I like trying!
rick 918-S
Still getting use to the foot peddle. For just closing up holes the thumb switch works but as noted it will leave a slight crater as it's just an on/off switch. I found if I swirl the puddle at the end just before releasing the switch the crater is mostly non-existent.

For the money it's a nice hobby shop tool. I haven't run a tig since welding school over 30 years ago. But I probably burned a water tower size set of oxy/act tanks gas welding. Same theory and basic technic except when you add the peddle... wacko.gif
brant
I was looking at the eastwood one a few weeks ago
its a great price....

I wasn't sure if it was built well enough
good to hear a nice review!

brant
rick 918-S
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 12 2011, 05:06 PM) *

its a great price....

brant

Couple things, These were designed and tested by the R&D dept at Eastwood in P.A. I believe. They are built off shore like lots of other things we buy. If that bugs you don't buy one. The warrentee is great.

The gas input is too close to the bottom of the machine. I ended up notching my harbor freight welding cart so the lip on the cart would clear the hose. the wire connections where they pass into the coupler are loose. Not a big deal but I could see pulling out the wires if you were careless. The two wires on the peddle are like 14' long and are a mess. I taped them together. I wanted to shrink wrap them but I didn't feel like unsoldering the connections to remove the connectors to get the shrink tube over the wires. dry.gif

I had the foot peddle stick "on" a couple times. I ended up pulling the cover and adjusting the switch trigger and tighening up the screws on the exterior peddle shaft. General quality control issue. All in all, these things didn't bug me enough to think it made the product bad or really effect the outcome of the welds.

The little welding I have done with the machine was good. I ran a test bead on a piece of light aluminum angle but rapidly realized it was anodized. I really have not had the time to sit back down and give it a go again.

All in all, $ 750.00 bucks? for an D/C A/C tig?
nathansnathan
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 12 2011, 01:57 PM) *

Still getting use to the foot peddle. For just closing up holes the thumb switch works but as noted it will leave a slight crater as it's just an on/off switch. I found if I swirl the puddle at the end just before releasing the switch the crater is mostly non-existent.

For the money it's a nice hobby shop tool. I haven't run a tig since welding school over 30 years ago. But I probably burned a water tower size set of oxy/act tanks gas welding. Same theory and basic technic except when you add the peddle... wacko.gif

Ah that makes sense. I'll have to get this thing, $200, the RCCS-14, for my syncrowave. The Eastwood is equivalent to the on/off RCC-14.
IPB Image
bulitt
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 12 2011, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Nov 12 2011, 05:06 PM) *

its a great price....

brant

Couple things, These were designed and tested by the R&D dept at Eastwood in P.A. I believe. They are built off shore like lots of other things we buy. If that bugs you don't buy one. The warrentee is great.

The gas input is too close to the bottom of the machine. I ended up notching my harbor freight welding cart so the lip on the cart would clear the hose. the wire connections where they pass into the coupler are loose. Not a big deal but I could see pulling out the wires if you were careless. The two wires on the peddle are like 14' long and are a mess. I taped them together. I wanted to shrink wrap them but I didn't feel like unsoldering the connections to remove the connectors to get the shrink tube over the wires. dry.gif

I had the foot peddle stick "on" a couple times. I ended up pulling the cover and adjusting the switch trigger and tighening up the screws on the exterior peddle shaft. General quality control issue. All in all, these things didn't bug me enough to think it made the product bad or really effect the outcome of the welds.

The little welding I have done with the machine was good. I ran a test bead on a piece of light aluminum angle but rapidly realized it was anodized. I really have not had the time to sit back down and give it a go again.

All in all, $ 750.00 bucks? for an D/C A/C tig?

I don't know when you bought this, but Eastwood has a special going right now-
999$ for a TIG and a plasma cutter!

Eastwood deal

John
Can that do aluminum? I see you say it is AC / DC so I would assume you can, but I would rather know for sure.

That is a great price.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(John @ Nov 12 2011, 07:23 PM) *

Can that do aluminum? I see you say it is AC / DC so I would assume you can, but I would rather know for sure.

That is a great price.

Yep, Aluminum too. And it will run on both 110/220!

The adaptor cord comes with the welder. Just plug it in to the adaptor cord and start welding. No switches, rewiring, nothing. I haven't tried it yet but I will. This means you can bring this welder any where and weld both steel and aluminum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd-u-nTL0yM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF3n9fqUo2s&feature=relmfu
rick 918-S
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-ac-dc-tig-200-welder.html

Looks like I bought this a week too early. Price just dropped again! $ 699.99!
okieflyr
I bought one of these second hand local about 2 months ago new in box and never used for $400(but no warranty). I can MIG like a monkey, but this TIG reminds me more of oxy-acetylene and it's cool! I've only been working with the foot pedal so far, and at workbench height I like it. I'm sure a pro level machine can do some things better, but as you said, for a hobby machine it does just fine.
Brodie
I've always said a good tig welder is like animal off of the muppets. You have to be one billy bad A$% trap set drummer to get all your limbs coordinated to run the thing. I'm not so good at it, but I saw a lincoln rep weld the foil from two juicy fruit wrappers together. He really was an animal!

I have to keep reminding myself that practice makes perfect.
Elliot Cannon
I was told by my welding instructor, "If you can TIG weld very good horizontally, vertically and upside down, (what? upside down??) you can find employement almost anywhere". All it takes is patience, practice, and a steady hand. I'm 0 for 3. TIG to me is like rubbing your tummy and patting your head while balancing on one foot. lol-2.gif
seanery
Hey Rick, how do you like the Eastwood after having it for a while now? I'm considering one of these. The price looks to have gone up a bit - $899 now.
seanery
I just ordered One of These. A Longevity 160SX. It appears to be the exact manufacturer and sister to your 200. This one has a stick attachment that the Eastwood doesn't, but other than that, the chassis, torch, pedal, etc...appear the same. They also offer the 200, but looking at the 110 specs, they are the same between the 160 and 200, only when operating at 220 do you see the benefit of the 200 over the 160.

Amazon sells them for $649 free shipping and they have a 5 year warranty.

IPB Image
rick 918-S
I did this with my TIG.

This section of the filler panel was hammer to shit by a previous poor repair. I couldn't work the metal because of the trunk hinge mount directly under the panel. So I cut it out and replaced the piece.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Here's the end result.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I haven't tried my welder with the 110 adaptor. I think it should work nice. Tip: get the big Argon gas cylinder. I have two mediums. I was running out of gas on the weekend all the time! mad.gif I ended up just buying a second tank so I had a back up.

I also purchased a dedicated 4-5" bench grinder from Harbor freight. I set it up with two fine grinding wheels. I painted one grinding wheel red and the other green to match the tungsten for steel and Aluminum. You shouldn't cross contaminate the alloys when sharping them. I have a battery opporated drill I use to spin the tungsten when grinding a point on them.
seanery
thumb3d.gif
McMark
What gas pressure are you running Rick? I use my 5' tall bottle for about 6 months and run around 12psi.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 12 2012, 08:49 PM) *

What gas pressure are you running Rick? I use my 5' tall bottle for about 6 months and run around 12psi.

I was running @ 15psi. but I may have had a leak or defective regulator. I ended up replacing the cheap regulator with a flow meter. I worked my way down to 12psi but the welds didn't appear to be as clean. I haven't run the thing now for a couple months. No time. I'm working 7 days a week from 7am to 1am. dry.gif
McMark
I need someone to help with all my welding projects. poke.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 12 2012, 11:16 PM) *

I need someone to help with all my welding projects. poke.gif

Ya, I'm jelous dry.gif It's so rewarding working with your hands creating stuff. idea.gif

I'm working on Sandy. She wants to take a workshop before looking for another company. who knows where we'll end up. confused24.gif She has a Masters in IT leadership and project management. Hey Sir Andy... need a team leader? biggrin.gif

Anywho.... welder.gif weld on boys! assimilate.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.