Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door Compliance Sticker Replacement? (was VIN sticker), replacements?
GeorgeRud
post Nov 15 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Has anyone had any luck getting replacement door jamb stickers with the vin number and build date imprinted? Years ago, I purchased a replica from Auto Atlanta, but have never been able to figure out how to imprint the sticker with the proper information. These days with computers and Photoshop, there must be a better way than to just try to do this freehand, but it's beyond my abilities,

Any help or information would be much appreciated. My 914-6 was repainted about 20 years ago, and people didn't worry about such things back then (or at least my body shop didn't).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 15 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

George,

George Hussey has said that the punch printers that the banks use to cancel & process checks will do the punching on their repro VIN stickers.
I don't know how nor where you get access to one though! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

PS - I got one from AA too for post-resto/repaint, so I'm curious if anyone else has a line on getting access to one of those machines, or any other alternatives.
Maybe we have some 914 bankers out there?
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Nov 15 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #3

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It would be great if someone could do this.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Nov 15 2011, 11:55 PM
Post #4

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Search is your friend ...look under my and partsman screen names. There is a thread detailing how to get a repop of YOUR vin sticker.
+Quote Post
boogie_man
post Nov 16 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,969

http://www.autodatalabels.com/

No ???
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 16 2011, 05:04 PM
Post #6

TMI....

QUOTE(boogie_man @ Nov 16 2011, 03:39 PM) *

Their FAQs say that they will not sell labels to private parties, so you need to go through a body shop.

It's also not clear that they do the old style punched VIN labels that our 914s had. Theirs all look like the printed & OCR/Barcode type.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 16 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #7

TMI....

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 15 2011, 10:55 PM) *

Search is your friend ...look under my and partsman screen names. There is a thread detailing how to get a repop of YOUR vin sticker.

Thanx for the heads-up Rich, I'll search it later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
boogie_man
post Nov 17 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,969

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 16 2011, 03:04 PM) *

Their FAQs say that they will not sell labels to private parties, so you need to go through a body shop.

It's also not clear that they do the old style punched VIN labels that our 914s had. Theirs all look like the printed & OCR/Barcode type.

Good thing I own a Body Shop...whewww, that was close.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 17 2011, 05:48 PM
Post #9

TMI....

QUOTE(boogie_man @ Nov 17 2011, 04:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 16 2011, 03:04 PM) *

Good thing I own a Body Shop...whewww, that was close.

As my Dad would've said to something like that - Smartass! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

That's great to know for those of us here in SoCal, so you'll have a few from here come by your shop I'm sure.

But poor George who originally asked the question is stuck up in the currently frigid Windy City, so he'll have to find a shop in Chicagoland.

Do you know if this group can also do the punched style of VIN labels as on our 914s? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 17 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #10

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

That is the million dollar question. I would sure like one of the original appearing stickers that are punched to let the color show through.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 17 2011, 06:54 PM
Post #11

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

I've said this in earlier threads, but it bears saying again. California, in particular, considers replacing the vin sticker, EVEN ON YOUR OWN CAR, to be altering the ID plates/stickers/whatever (EVEN IF IT'S THE SAME NUMBER!). It's a federal thing, and it may not be considered as important in some other states. I've been involved on the wrong side of a CHP investigation (I was let off the hook, but it could have easily gone the other way) and it's NOT fun. I was inconvenienced for over a year, and they dropped in at random a number of times. If you get an inspector who is in a cranky mood, or you manage to put him in one, the jail time and fines can be significant. Keeps your lawyer's kids well fed, though.

Take this for whatever you think it's worth ..............

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Nov 18 2011, 07:34 AM
Post #12

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Cap'n - Your experience aside, and I am sorry you had to go through that crap, I was a police officer for 25 years and if I came across a car like any one of ours that was being restored or was restored and the duplicate VIN sticker displayed all of the correct information and was located correctly and the owner had all of the paperwork in order, I would not be concerned. Granted, I did not work for the CHP who might be a little stricter when it comes to this stuff, but still I can't imagine they would mess with an owner who is trying to restore their car to as close to original as possible.

If I can find a replacement door VIN sticker for my car with the perforations and correct information, I will put it on my car when the time is right. I would rather do that than have a car running around with no VIN sticker on the door jamb.

I wish your shop was not so damn far away, I would love to get my six to you BTW.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Nov 18 2011, 09:49 AM
Post #13

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

Same with me, when I repainted my rear fender a couple of years ago and did some rust work the body shop did not save the VIN sticker and I was very sad and shocked to see it gone...I bought a blank one from George at AA and he mentioned the type writer check cancelling thing but where would a person like myself find that? It would be nice if he offered this service to go with it...if somebody does this successfully I would like to sign up...maybe a bunch of us could do it together...kind of like a group buy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
PancakePorsche
post Nov 18 2011, 11:46 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,373

Count me in if somehow we can get them. I lost mine to the painter as well.
+Quote Post
RickS
post Nov 19 2011, 12:02 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,880

When my 911 was repainted I went to the dealer (yes them, the evil empire) with my registration and drivers license and they ordered a new one for the price of my left nut. When it arrived I was shocked that it was black, not silver like the original - they stopped making silver. I needed one and that was the best I can do, so there it is. If yeah need one, and don't need to reproduce go fund the next Panamara.
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Nov 19 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #16

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

CA Vehicle code 10750 paragraph B says a Legal owner can restore his vin with authorization.
So what needs to be done is have a cop of dmv person fill out a motor vehicle for REG343 “vin verification” and in the remarks section say he authorizes you to seek a replica tag for the purpose or restoring the car to original appearances; or he does not object to your.....................................; or he is aware you will seek...............................................................
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Nov 19 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #17

Chingon 601

10750. (a) No person shall intentionally deface, destroy, or alter
the motor number, other distinguishing number, or identification mark
of a vehicle required or employed for registration purposes without
written authorization from the department, nor shall any person place
or stamp any serial, motor, or other number or mark upon a vehicle,
except one assigned thereto by the department.
(b) This section does not prohibit the restoration by an owner of
the original vehicle identification number when the restoration is
authorized by the department, nor prevent any manufacturer from
placing in the ordinary course of business numbers or marks upon new
motor vehicles or new parts thereof.
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Nov 19 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #18

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

I think there is too much worry about this.

The vehicle codes constantly reflects an attitude of the words tamper, deface, destroy, modify etc. Those words are consistently used throughout the vehicle code and it's clear they don't want tampering with numbers. That said, I find it difficult to believe that you would get harassed over a car that had an original fender numbers and window VIN in place and a door label imprinted with the correct number (even if the sticker was not quite original). Who in the hell would even know the sticker was not the original????? Most people (and cops) don't even know what kind of car it is.....you think they would say "hey that number is imprinted on the wrong label" ???? Give me a break.....

There is no intent to defraud here and would go absolutely nowhere if everything else was in order.

It should be noted that the door sticker is just that....a label. It is not even the official "VIN label" but an information label associated with car weight. Now, grind off numbers or change that label NUMBER or window VIN and perhaps I will visit you behind bars if they prove your "intent to defraud"

Don't modify the numbers, don't worry about the "official" label and go have a beer.

+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Nov 19 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #19

Chingon 601

the intent of my post is to help those who need this. I have done it correct and legal thru my shop. it is not difficult at all.
don't get intimidated by paragraph A
perhaps I should have only posted section B
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 19 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #20

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

search search here. there have been several threads in the past few years with guys having the bank punch machine making new ones using the AA blank.
+Quote Post

10 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 09:17 PM