Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Compliance Sticker Replacement? (was VIN sticker)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
GeorgeRud
Has anyone had any luck getting replacement door jamb stickers with the vin number and build date imprinted? Years ago, I purchased a replica from Auto Atlanta, but have never been able to figure out how to imprint the sticker with the proper information. These days with computers and Photoshop, there must be a better way than to just try to do this freehand, but it's beyond my abilities,

Any help or information would be much appreciated. My 914-6 was repainted about 20 years ago, and people didn't worry about such things back then (or at least my body shop didn't).
Tom_T
George,

George Hussey has said that the punch printers that the banks use to cancel & process checks will do the punching on their repro VIN stickers.
I don't know how nor where you get access to one though! biggrin.gif

PS - I got one from AA too for post-resto/repaint, so I'm curious if anyone else has a line on getting access to one of those machines, or any other alternatives.
Maybe we have some 914 bankers out there?
championgt1
It would be great if someone could do this.
914werke
Search is your friend ...look under my and partsman screen names. There is a thread detailing how to get a repop of YOUR vin sticker.
boogie_man
http://www.autodatalabels.com/

No ???
Tom_T
QUOTE(boogie_man @ Nov 16 2011, 03:39 PM) *

Their FAQs say that they will not sell labels to private parties, so you need to go through a body shop.

It's also not clear that they do the old style punched VIN labels that our 914s had. Theirs all look like the printed & OCR/Barcode type.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 15 2011, 10:55 PM) *

Search is your friend ...look under my and partsman screen names. There is a thread detailing how to get a repop of YOUR vin sticker.

Thanx for the heads-up Rich, I'll search it later. beerchug.gif
boogie_man
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 16 2011, 03:04 PM) *

Their FAQs say that they will not sell labels to private parties, so you need to go through a body shop.

It's also not clear that they do the old style punched VIN labels that our 914s had. Theirs all look like the printed & OCR/Barcode type.

Good thing I own a Body Shop...whewww, that was close.
Tom_T
QUOTE(boogie_man @ Nov 17 2011, 04:34 PM) *

As my Dad would've said to something like that - Smartass! laugh.gif

That's great to know for those of us here in SoCal, so you'll have a few from here come by your shop I'm sure.

But poor George who originally asked the question is stuck up in the currently frigid Windy City, so he'll have to find a shop in Chicagoland.

Do you know if this group can also do the punched style of VIN labels as on our 914s? confused24.gif
Cairo94507
That is the million dollar question. I would sure like one of the original appearing stickers that are punched to let the color show through.
Cap'n Krusty
I've said this in earlier threads, but it bears saying again. California, in particular, considers replacing the vin sticker, EVEN ON YOUR OWN CAR, to be altering the ID plates/stickers/whatever (EVEN IF IT'S THE SAME NUMBER!). It's a federal thing, and it may not be considered as important in some other states. I've been involved on the wrong side of a CHP investigation (I was let off the hook, but it could have easily gone the other way) and it's NOT fun. I was inconvenienced for over a year, and they dropped in at random a number of times. If you get an inspector who is in a cranky mood, or you manage to put him in one, the jail time and fines can be significant. Keeps your lawyer's kids well fed, though.

Take this for whatever you think it's worth ..............

The Cap'n
Cairo94507
Cap'n - Your experience aside, and I am sorry you had to go through that crap, I was a police officer for 25 years and if I came across a car like any one of ours that was being restored or was restored and the duplicate VIN sticker displayed all of the correct information and was located correctly and the owner had all of the paperwork in order, I would not be concerned. Granted, I did not work for the CHP who might be a little stricter when it comes to this stuff, but still I can't imagine they would mess with an owner who is trying to restore their car to as close to original as possible.

If I can find a replacement door VIN sticker for my car with the perforations and correct information, I will put it on my car when the time is right. I would rather do that than have a car running around with no VIN sticker on the door jamb.

I wish your shop was not so damn far away, I would love to get my six to you BTW.
nsr-jamie
Same with me, when I repainted my rear fender a couple of years ago and did some rust work the body shop did not save the VIN sticker and I was very sad and shocked to see it gone...I bought a blank one from George at AA and he mentioned the type writer check cancelling thing but where would a person like myself find that? It would be nice if he offered this service to go with it...if somebody does this successfully I would like to sign up...maybe a bunch of us could do it together...kind of like a group buy. biggrin.gif
PancakePorsche
Count me in if somehow we can get them. I lost mine to the painter as well.
RickS
When my 911 was repainted I went to the dealer (yes them, the evil empire) with my registration and drivers license and they ordered a new one for the price of my left nut. When it arrived I was shocked that it was black, not silver like the original - they stopped making silver. I needed one and that was the best I can do, so there it is. If yeah need one, and don't need to reproduce go fund the next Panamara.
sean_v8_914
CA Vehicle code 10750 paragraph B says a Legal owner can restore his vin with authorization.
So what needs to be done is have a cop of dmv person fill out a motor vehicle for REG343 “vin verification” and in the remarks section say he authorizes you to seek a replica tag for the purpose or restoring the car to original appearances; or he does not object to your.....................................; or he is aware you will seek...............................................................
sean_v8_914
10750. (a) No person shall intentionally deface, destroy, or alter
the motor number, other distinguishing number, or identification mark
of a vehicle required or employed for registration purposes without
written authorization from the department, nor shall any person place
or stamp any serial, motor, or other number or mark upon a vehicle,
except one assigned thereto by the department.
(b) This section does not prohibit the restoration by an owner of
the original vehicle identification number when the restoration is
authorized by the department, nor prevent any manufacturer from
placing in the ordinary course of business numbers or marks upon new
motor vehicles or new parts thereof.
PRS914-6
I think there is too much worry about this.

The vehicle codes constantly reflects an attitude of the words tamper, deface, destroy, modify etc. Those words are consistently used throughout the vehicle code and it's clear they don't want tampering with numbers. That said, I find it difficult to believe that you would get harassed over a car that had an original fender numbers and window VIN in place and a door label imprinted with the correct number (even if the sticker was not quite original). Who in the hell would even know the sticker was not the original????? Most people (and cops) don't even know what kind of car it is.....you think they would say "hey that number is imprinted on the wrong label" ???? Give me a break.....

There is no intent to defraud here and would go absolutely nowhere if everything else was in order.

It should be noted that the door sticker is just that....a label. It is not even the official "VIN label" but an information label associated with car weight. Now, grind off numbers or change that label NUMBER or window VIN and perhaps I will visit you behind bars if they prove your "intent to defraud"

Don't modify the numbers, don't worry about the "official" label and go have a beer.

sean_v8_914
the intent of my post is to help those who need this. I have done it correct and legal thru my shop. it is not difficult at all.
don't get intimidated by paragraph A
perhaps I should have only posted section B
bandjoey
search search here. there have been several threads in the past few years with guys having the bank punch machine making new ones using the AA blank.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Nov 19 2011, 12:13 PM) *

the intent of my post is to help those who need this. I have done it correct and legal thru my shop. it is not difficult at all.
don't get intimidated by paragraph A
perhaps I should have only posted section B

Sorry if it sounded like I was criticizing your info...It is great stuff to know and good that you posted it. My comments are really directed at this topic in general since it comes up frequently.

Tampering with a VIN can get you in jail, no arguing that. I just wanted to point out that people seem to worry about the sticker too much and it isn't even the actual real VIN plate. That number is at the windshield and also STAMPED in the fender in metal and that is the REAL VIN number! The sticker in the door is just informational for the year and it's compliance with law. Removing it for a paint job is not a sin. Yes, if you changed the number on that tag it might be considered fraudulent if your INTENT was fraudulent. The tag in the door is no more important than the smog sticker under the hood of most vehicles. If it happens to fall off or get removed, you won't go to jail......Hope that clears up my intent.....
carr914
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Nov 19 2011, 04:28 PM) *

The sticker in the door is just informational for the year and it's compliance with law.

Removing it for a paint job is not a sin.

That is Correct & hence it is called a Compliance Sticker

I consider it a Sin if you take your Painter over to the car, Point to the Compliance Sticker and say " Under No Circumstance does this Sticker get removed !!!!", then they remove it anyway chair.gif

I understand the Legal argument, but I don't think it applies. In a lot of cases, there is no longer a Sticker there.

Can you get one from Porsche, Yes- but it is incorrect
Can you a Blank from AA, Yes, but it is not Punched or Embossed
Blanks are available Cheaper than AA

The embossing ( Semi-Circles) is a bitch and is tough to get in a perfectly line, but can be done with a 5mm Biopsy Tool

The Punching of Numbers - I've heard of Threads of the Bank Check Machines, but I've never read one.

It can be done by hand, but

Options:
Original Sticker in Place
No Sticker
Blank Replacement
Re-done Replacement

Everybody would like an Original, but my Choice would then be Re-done Replacement, No Sticker, Blank

Now if I could find where I put this one, I would show you how it looks on a car

Click to view attachment
boogie_man
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 17 2011, 03:48 PM) *

That's great to know for those of us here in SoCal, so you'll have a few from here come by your shop I'm sure.

But poor George who originally asked the question is stuck up in the currently frigid Windy City, so he'll have to find a shop in Chicagoland.

Do you know if this group can also do the punched style of VIN labels as on our 914s? confused24.gif

Sorry LOL I wasn't trying to be a smartass as I too am in the same boat. I have
the original in the jamb but it will need to be removed. Maybe we could come up
with a plan for a group buy using my shop for other 914 peeps (no one has visited me yet prlly because of my attitude, ask slits) I would be willing to help if needed guys.

Thanks

Scott
Tom_T
QUOTE(boogie_man @ Nov 21 2011, 02:32 PM) *

with a plan for a group buy using my shop for other 914 peeps (no one has visited me yet prlly because of my attitude, ask slits) I would be willing to help if needed guys.

Thanks

Scott

No harm, no foul Scott! I got a good laugh out of your reply! biggrin.gif

Thanx for the offer!

Thanx to the others above who've added useful info on tis topic.
eric9144
I've often wondered myself if it would be possible to have a press or punch type tool made to do these--there are A LOT of people who'd be interested if it could be done "right"

I was thinking a punch tool/jig would be the simplest method--kind of like the old printing theory where the letters and numbers are pieces that could be changed around... confused24.gif

Or if we could figure out what make/model this check printer thing is--locate one and try to buy it...the market is there if one of us can pull it all together!

Boogie_man, if you can get these done, I'm in for one on the off chance I'll ever need it!
MDG
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Nov 21 2011, 05:23 PM) *

I've often wondered myself if it would be possible to have a press or punch type tool made to do these--there are A LOT of people who'd be interested if it could be done "right"

I was thinking a punch tool/jig would be the simplest method--kind of like the old printing theory where the letters and numbers are pieces that could be changed around... confused24.gif

Why yes, yes you can smile.gif

Click to view attachment

I had my guy do a single row and set it; as I am only doing one, I'll set and press by hand adjusting row by row.

Any die-cutter with a small press could do this. Finding one willing to do it on something as precarious as a VIN sticker? Good luck.

I also had my number set on another blank so after I kiss-cut the circles I can punch the VIN number itself.

I own the printing company; doing it for myself on my own car I am restoring and knowing everything info-wise is legit is one thing. I wouldn't do this for an off the street customer. On the other hand, a lot of guys will do anything for the cash.
racerbvd
QUOTE(boogie_man @ Nov 21 2011, 02:32 PM) *

Thanks

Scott

I'm gonna need one too sad.gif
Bartlett 914
How close are these replacement stickers to the original? My car is a 4 and is black. Are these available? I am assuming the one shown is for a 6 and I cannot compare it. A punch could be fairly easy to make.
eric9144
The black stickers are available as repros--the silver ones aren't from what I know...
racerbvd
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 21 2011, 04:06 PM) *

How close are these replacement stickers to the original? My car is a 4 and is black. Are these available? I am assuming the one shown is for a 6 and I cannot compare it. A punch could be fairly easy to make.

Here is one of mine, you guys are going to hate me, I had one of those old Bank machine, and old girl friend was a VP at a local bank and when they updated, she gave me a bunch of the old stuff (mostly lights & clock, but a few other bits too) but I have no clue where it is right now sad.gif
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Nov 21 2011, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 21 2011, 04:06 PM) *

Here is one of mine, you guys are going to hate me, I had one of those old Bank machine, and old girl friend was a VP at a local bank and when they updated, she gave me a bunch of the old stuff (mostly lights & clock, but a few other bits too) but I have no clue where it is right now sad.gif
Click to view attachment

Well dig it out & you can help fund your resto with punching these for all of us Byron! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
Same black with punched letters type was used on my 8/72 built 73 914-2.0 -

Click to view attachment

AA sells one that looks just like this, but blank; and from one of the posts above it sounds like their are other sources for them as well.
nsr-jamie
I am guessing AA doesn't want to do this work cause of possible legal troubles...but they sell the blank stickers and I have one and its excellent!! Any way normal folks can make these themselfs?

What about somebody with one of those mini CNC mills? A small enough center drill just lightly touching the surface not hard enough to brake through and with a correct program and proper z-axis height setting could possibly do it....though I suspect a few stickers would be lost at first until the correct setting could be found. Maybe sounds like too much work for something that could be made easier the old fashioned way....

No bankers in here? I know a banker who has a beautiful 356, I should ask him and see if he can help biggrin.gif
Socalandy
So I think I have what it takes to do this but need some hi res closeups to have all #'s 0 thru 9. I have access to the machine and tests have been done on paper and it can handle the dot size

Post my results and then talk about how much trouble it can cause to do them
pete000
I am going to be needing one made up soon as well.

Hope it works !

chowtime.gif
carr914
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Nov 21 2011, 06:18 PM) *

The black stickers are available as repros--the silver ones aren't from what I know...

The Silver Ones are Available ( In Fact I need to Order Some). If anyone else needs Blank ( Un-Punched or Semi-Cuts) let me know and I'll put in a bigger order

T.C.
Socalandy
Are they a repop or original blanks? if they are orig. I will take 2 silver

thanks
Dick Kress
I would take 2 silver if they are same as original on "73.
Black22
I'd need a couple done if you start taking orders. I'll supply my blanks. I need the black ones for a '74. I'd like to get one to apply on the car now(new paint) and one for the next repaint (waaay down the road).

It wasn't funny when the painter called and said, "you don't need that sticker in the door jamb do you?" I told him yes and to leave it on. He said it was too late his guys already removed it! Why ask me then!?!.

Oh well I wasn't worried about it but, if someones going to punch them....
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dick Kress @ Nov 24 2011, 11:04 AM) *

I would take 2 silver if they are same as original on "73.

Dick - yours should be black for a 73.

My 73 in the pic above is about as early as it gets - 8/72, and every 73 I've seen is Black - not silver labels.

I think silver was 70 & 71 MYs & I'm not sure about 72 MY - Silver, Black or mid-year switch?? confused24.gif
Cairo94507
Put me down for two silver ones. If someone can punch the numbers for me I would be willing to pay for that service.
carr914
QUOTE(Black22 @ Nov 24 2011, 01:42 PM) *

I'd need a couple done if you start taking orders. I'll supply my blanks. I need the black ones for a '74. I'd like to get one to apply on the car now(new paint) and one for the next repaint (waaay down the road).

It wasn't funny when the painter called and said, "you don't need that sticker in the door jamb do you?" I told him yes and to leave it on. He said it was too late his guys already removed it! Why ask me then!?!.

I am NOT taking orders to punch Stickers. I am ordering some Silver Reproduction ( Correct for a 914-6) Stickers that are Not Punched nor have the Semi-Circles
Cairo94507
Carr914- What is the cost of the reproduction stickers? I think I would still like two if I could possibly get in on your order.
Thanks,
Michael
racerbvd
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 24 2011, 11:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Black22 @ Nov 24 2011, 01:42 PM) *

I am NOT taking orders to punch Stickers. I am ordering some Silver Reproduction ( Correct for a 914-6) Stickers that are Not Punched nor have the Semi-Circles

I'm interested as well..
Socalandy
OK, It can be done and I'm working on a fixture to press the semi circles over the intire lable. With a bit of work left to create the rest of the numbers in Corel I will try it on the repro sticker but what you see in this picture is on a lable, one with the backing peeled off in the middle.

but is it legal huh.gif All this is doing is putting the ID sticker back on the car since it was removed or in some other stituations painted over right?
Cairo94507
Wow you are definitely on to something there. Keep up the great work - I am not concerned about the question of legality as there is no fraudulent intent whatsoever. I simply want to replace the ruined sticker on my car to as close as possible replicate its original look from the factory. Also, I am in the "compliance sticker" camp and not the "VIN plate" camp in this discussion. None of my VIN numbers have ever been tampered with.
Socalandy
I'm really happy this is working, I overlayed this sample over my 72 jam sticker and its perfect. It will be about the spacing and placement on the sticker and I hope to have one done next week piratenanner.gif

Here's another picture that shows how clean the Laser cuts an the power can be adj. down to even create a hanging chad.
pnewman
That looks great!

mine didn't survive rust repair at the door jamb / strike area. I have it but it has been badly damaged.

Keep up the good work! beer.gif

I look forward to seeing the finished product.
Gint
That's cool! What are you using for the sticker Andy?
Socalandy
repro I got from Ebay, I dont know how many peeps reproduce them. I need to find one for my 72 too since it is in bad shape. they could be one of George's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.