Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Compliance Sticker Replacement? (was VIN sticker)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
timothy_nd28
Just curious, what does a 914-6 vin sticker look like?
Socalandy
Yesterdays post was and sneak peak of a incomplete form so you could see the main requirements and get peoples feedback fearing there would be some grumblings. The person cutting the decals want's to avoid a re-sale issue and just be responsible for the labor. That is the reason for asking that you acquire the decals.

I thought about ordering them myself but would prefer not to for various reasons. The AA decals for -6 is accurate but noticed a difference in the font used from the other source and was told there is a early and later version with slight differences in the font, I want to find out the approx. date change so the correct version can be used. I will post all info to the sources if I dont order them myself. The -4 version is only available in black and creates issues for those who need one in silver and is NLA.

I will be explaining and adding check boxes for the available options like the error for 1970 cars that I believe only occurred for the manufacture year and was not carried into the actual VIN number from the pictures I've seen. I'm back on the die cutting block project and I hope to press a decal in a few days and post the results. We are at least a week away from opening up for orders so keep sending you comments so we can get all the details sorted, this is a lot more work than a group shirt order for sure.

Thanks
Socalandy
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Nov 6 2012, 06:12 PM) *

Just curious, what does a 914-6 vin sticker look like?

See picture's in posts #144.145 and 146
sixnotfour
Andy there is a good supplier on 911s reg. for the -6 config.
Socalandy
I bought some of them as stated before so take a close look at both options. That info will be included on the form
carr914
Andy I can get you a Better Deal on Blank Stickers than AA

And I'm thinking the & Glitch is only 914-6
carr914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 6 2012, 07:01 PM) *

No "7 error" here in Aug. 72 - also note that this is the black decal color without the semi-circle cuts, and it's original since it shows the L80E under the oversprayed sahara beige & gold repaints done by the dealer &/or OO from whom I bought the car in 12/75.

Click to view attachment

Tom, it looks to me the semi-circles are there on your Sticker
Socalandy
that's a slightly different error and again only for the Manu. date not the VIN #

I too see the circles
sixnotfour
Here is a source for 911/914-6
http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...in+sticker+sale
robmog
Hello all,
I am the fellow who produced the sticker you've seen on the early 911 site.
http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...ght=vin+sticker
I am willing and able to produce all varieties of 914 stickers, black and silver as per your data base. It was a simple matter of editing the photo shop layers on my original 911 version. I have yet to go to production as there seems to be a large number of newer vendors willing to create this item and thus my dilemma. I think the sticker I've created is pretty accurate, I cannot promise it is 100%. However most other vendors seem to have copied mine, the joys of participating in the open market. I never thought or wanted to profit from this item. I wanted to make one for myself and was willing to share my effort. I too got much grief from the "Purists" crying fraud.
Andy has taken this project light years ahead with the availability of laser cutting the numbers, I only offered the primitive hand punch technique.
So the question remains, should I go ahead and make the other 914 versions, or just fade away?
Your input is valuable to me.
Cheers
Bob moglia
Socalandy
Hello Again Bob,

I know that there is a need for the silver version for the 914-4 and sure if you started a poll you could gauge interest and approx numbers for them. I just finished a die for the tamper proofing and hope to be ordering decals soon and get cutting for the group. attached is a picture posted here of the silver version.

Thanks for your efforts!!!
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 10 2012, 09:04 PM) *

Hello Again Bob,

I know that there is a need for the silver version for the 914-4 and sure if you started a poll you could gauge interest and approx numbers for them. I just finished a die for the tamper proofing and hope to be ordering decals soon and get cutting for the group. attached is a picture posted here of the silver version.

Andy and Bob
I'm so happy to see this project moving forward.
This detail is important to many of us and I'm sure that it will be sought by more people as time goes on.
I've been away for a while but will need to have a sticker (one of Bobs that I already have ) processed to suit my car.
Your efforts are appreciated.
Thank you for your efforts. You are both doing a great job.
Thanks again.
Rory

carr914
Hi Rob & welcome.png

You have been my source for a few years.

T.C.

QUOTE(robmog @ Nov 10 2012, 09:55 PM) *

Hello all,
I am the fellow who produced the sticker you've seen on the early 911 site.
http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...ght=vin+sticker
I am willing and able to produce all varieties of 914 stickers, black and silver as per your data base. It was a simple matter of editing the photo shop layers on my original 911 version. I have yet to go to production as there seems to be a large number of newer vendors willing to create this item and thus my dilemma. I think the sticker I've created is pretty accurate, I cannot promise it is 100%. However most other vendors seem to have copied mine, the joys of participating in the open market. I never thought or wanted to profit from this item. I wanted to make one for myself and was willing to share my effort. I too got much grief from the "Purists" crying fraud.
Andy has taken this project light years ahead with the availability of laser cutting the numbers, I only offered the primitive hand punch technique.
So the question remains, should I go ahead and make the other 914 versions, or just fade away?
Cheers
Bob moglia

Gint
QUOTE(robmog @ Nov 10 2012, 07:55 PM) *
Cheers
Bob moglia

Please do! Thanks
Tom_T
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 12 2012, 10:04 AM) *

QUOTE(robmog @ Nov 10 2012, 07:55 PM) *
Cheers
Bob moglia

Please do! Thanks

I think Gint means the first part before the "or" to make the other versions.

I only offer this cuz I read it at first & thought he meant fade away, but I'm a bit slow sometimes & this being Veterans' Day I may have been thinking of the MacArthur movie I watched last night! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
Wow! ....impressive work Andy! smilie_pokal.gif

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 10 2012, 10:04 PM) *

Hello Again Bob,

gothspeed
Looks good smile.gif!!! ........ How does one determine the month/year of manufacture or the color of the original decal?
Tom_T
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Nov 12 2012, 10:46 AM) *

Looks good smile.gif!!! ........ How does one determine the month/year of manufacture or the color of the original decal?

If you don't have a sticker or pic of it, then you can try to get a DMV record of when it was 1st sold &/or a COA from PCNA (sometimes they have actual build dates or month on the Kardex microfilms), in order to establish what part of the MY it was built (July/Aug - Dec of year before, or Jan - June/July of same year as MY).

If no pic/sticker - then look to 914s built close to yours for type - silver or black, and....

Then you can use the Chassis no. stamped in the rear trunk floor & on the top box of the Karmann plate on the driver door's front jamb, to get the build month based upon whichever year you can narrow it down to, as below....

Chassis no.: WWD9YZZ
WW = week of year counting from even 1 day "week" on Jan 1 - 01 - 52/53
D = day of work week 1 - 5
9Y = 95 is Karmann plant & 96 is 95 + 100 added to number built below
ZZ = Number of 914s built that day (add 100 is 96)

Hope that helps! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
gcrotvik
Great work!

Please add me to this list. I would like 2 duplicates of my 2/74 compliance sticker.

Thanks,

Greg
gothspeed
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 12 2012, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Nov 12 2012, 10:46 AM) *

If you don't have a sticker or pic of it, then you can try to get a DMV record of when it was 1st sold &/or a COA from PCNA (sometimes they have actual build dates or month on the Kardex microfilms), in order to establish what part of the MY it was built (July/Aug - Dec of year before, or Jan - June/July of same year as MY).

If no pic/sticker - then look to 914s built close to yours for type - silver or black, and....

Then you can use the Chassis no. stamped in the rear trunk floor & on the top box of the Karmann plate on the driver door's front jamb, to get the build month based upon whichever year you can narrow it down to, as below....

Chassis no.: WWD9YZZ
WW = week of year counting from even 1 day "week" on Jan 1 - 01 - 52/53
D = day of work week 1 - 5
9Y = 95 is Karmann plant & 96 is 95 + 100 added to number built below
ZZ = Number of 914s built that day (add 100 is 96)

Hope that helps! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks man, that is the best answer yet beerchug.gif !! I bought it without a jamb sticker, I think it was toast due to some bodywork and paint in that area sad.gif . All the other numbers are intact (RH headlight bucket plaque, Driver side windshield jamb, RH wheel well top stamp, most of the chassis number in the rear trunk and the Karmann plaque in front of the driver door jamb ....... I will look into it as you suggested ........ as it would be nice to have a door jamb decal replacement after I install the flares and do the paint ... smile.gif.

Thanks again!! sunglasses.gif
Peashooter
Add me to the list also! I got my car after it had been completely stripped of paint, and the sticker was long gone!
Bill
boogie_man
I'm also in for one in silver for my 72 with a damaged door jamb, no way
to save it, we tried sad.gif.

Thanks

Scott
Tom_T
Hey Andy,

I saw in the thread's pix that the blank label has square corners, but my original sticker is rounded in the same way as the silver line border edge with round corners - but just a few mm's out. Maybe you could use the semi-circle punches for the anti-tamper cuts to do each corner to get it exactly as original with rounded corners?

It looks like the early silver ones were rounded corners too, from the pix of original VIN labels in this post.

Here is mine & a pic of the repro one which you posted above for comparison, so you can see what I mean.

My original VIN sticker in black over the original L80E (COA & physical evidence on car verifies Light Ivory), & under the 3 repaints (Sahara Beige or tinted primer pre-11/75 both by PO/OO or dealer, Gold met. pre-11/75, L99K Copper met. 8/76 by me, & dark grey/Anthracite met. 5/80 by me) - which were carefully lifted off the sticker with acetone & Q-tips/sof cloths last year....

IPB Image

VS.....

IPB Image

Also, can you please post the link to the buy thread here? confused24.gif

I searched in Member Vendors, Parts FS & Garage, but can't find it - even though I recall seeing it before with your link to get to the PDF form online.
huh.gif

Socalandy
Order thread is here...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=198674

Socalandy
Can anyone tell me what time span the silver compliance decal was used for -4 cars. I have seen it on MY 1973-74 but have seen 73-74 cars with black decals as well. On this page you can see pictures of MY 74 with a Feb. build in black and also a Mar. build in silver

Thanks
Mike Fitton
I have a very late '74 914 (7/74) and it has a silver Sticker mine also came in through the East Coast and sold new at Brumos in Jacksonville, FL so maybe port of entry used up what they had available.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 23 2012, 08:56 AM) *

I have a very late '74 914 (7/74) and it has a silver Sticker mine also came in through the East Coast and sold new at Brumos in Jacksonville, FL so maybe port of entry used up what they had available.

They were put on at the factory, so it was probably more the case of which one was grabbed during the change-over period, much as what happened when they used up the earlier MY parts.

For example, my 8/72 built 73 2.0 has the late 2 bleeder front disc brake calipers & early single bleeder rear calipers, & originally had the chrome window winders & int. door handle surrounds - even though those had changed to black for 73 MY.

So Andy, it may be a case by case, car by car basis on the black to silver change-over timeframe.
Mike Fitton
Has anybody gotten a vin sticker yet, I paid on 12/17/2012 and I have not received anything yet and can't get a response back from socalandy even though he was active on here 1/18/2013. Last response was on 1/7 saying it would mail out 1/11!
Socalandy
name='Mike Fitton' date='Jan 20 2013, 12:57 PM' post='1806015']
Has anybody gotten a vin sticker yet, I paid on 12/17/2012 and I have not received anything yet and can't get a response back from socalandy even though he was active on here 1/18/2013. Last response was on 1/7 saying it would mail out 1/11!

I did drop it off at Fedex in your prepaid express pouch. I will swing by there today if their open

All decals have shipped with exception to Mr. Olin's. The cutter had a moment and had to order more decals. Now with the holiday season behind us please get your orders in. I've only had 12 orders and may set a deadline to end the buy if the demand is not here. I also opened orders to the 911 group.
walterolin
Not got to the paint shop yet, so I'm not in a hurry.

Thanks
Olin
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 21 2013, 08:49 AM) *

name='Mike Fitton' date='Jan 20 2013, 12:57 PM' post='1806015']

I did drop it off at Fedex in your prepaid express pouch. I will swing by there today if their open

All decals have shipped with exception to Mr. Olin's. The cutter had a moment and had to order more decals. Now with the holiday season behind us please get your orders in. I've only had 12 orders and may set a deadline to end the buy if the demand is not here. I also opened orders to the 911 group.

WHen did you drop it off at FedEx? Still has not arrived and is not in the system.
Gint
Sorry Andy, I'm a slacker. I'll get my stuff sent off pretty quick.
rick 918-S
Just printed the order form Andy. I'll send you the info for the Raspberry car ASAP.
charliew
Andy, check your pp and I will go to fed ex today with the paperwork.
I want two of the same.
charliew
dtorrey
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 10 2012, 09:04 PM) *

Hello Again Bob,

Andy, I sent you a PM

David
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Dec 2 2012, 08:13 PM) *

Can anyone tell me what time span the silver compliance decal was used for -4 cars. I have seen it on MY 1973-74 but have seen 73-74 cars with black decals as well. On this page you can see pictures of MY 74 with a Feb. build in black and also a Mar. build in silver

Thanks

I was referring someone from the bus forum here and saw this. Someone cleared this up for me in a thread in the originality forum. The black or silver were intermixed and it depended on the color of the car - they were to contrast with the body color since the color shows through the holes.

Really nice job on these way!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.