Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Compliance Sticker Replacement? (was VIN sticker)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
GeorgeRud
Please keep us informed of your progress. This would be much appreciated by many of us.
ClayPerrine
If you can get these done correctly, count me in for two. One for my 914, and one for Betty's.

The numbers look great!
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 7 2012, 12:51 PM) *

repro I got from Ebay, I dont know how many peeps reproduce them. I need to find one for my 72 too since it is in bad shape. they could be one of George's

great work! I'm in and can't wait to see your progress.
The VIN and date are perforations, the anti-tamper is not.
Do you have a method to create the lines of touching circles ?
Socalandy
I'm building a press pack of tubes so I can do the whole label at once. The trick will be how much presure to get the perfs. without killing the label. trial and error time once its built. idea.gif
Cairo94507
beer.gif popcorn[1].gif pray.gif pray.gif
billh1963
I think it's safe to say you will have a VERY large number of orders coming your way if you get this perfected!
Socalandy
From whats been done so far its doable, The issue would be that the machine is not mine and a large number of orders would put me in the position to buy my own laser etcher. That will run about 1k for a decent unit.

How many would want this service and what would be a fare price per decal would be the next question. will I even break even?

I can asked what he would charge and set the orders up with him but dont know if he would want to. I dont want to make a mint here but dont want to go in the hole.

Questions and comments please
rick 918-S
What do the stickers cost? I would think someone that has an outstanding car with no sticker would easily pay 30-40 bucks to get the correct sticker back on the car. This has been a bane for 914 owners since the very first body shop scraped off the sticker to paint the jamb.

Just add up the "Want" posts here in this thread.

Maybe take pre-orders and pre-payment until you get the cash to pay for the machine. I bet you sell enough in a week to do it.

And it's not a vin tag! If you can scrape it off with a razor blade it's a compliance sticker.
laflaur
Andy,
I don't know the final price,but I would be willing to pay whatever for one.
Mine was ruined by my painter.
John
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 24 2011, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Nov 21 2011, 06:18 PM) *

The black stickers are available as repros--the silver ones aren't from what I know...

The Silver Ones are Available ( In Fact I need to Order Some). If anyone else needs Blank ( Un-Punched or Semi-Cuts) let me know and I'll put in a bigger order

T.C.

Sorry I've been real busy at work, but I will order some Blank Silver Stickers. Anybody that needs the Silver Ones PM me and I will get it together.

T.C.
rick 918-S
Because of the posssbility of not being able to get stickers I painstakingly washed off the color change on the Raspberry car. After buffing the old finish I held up the test panel I sprayed. I can easlily blend and buff in the jamb and leave the original paint showing with the original sticker. biggrin.gif The match is perfect. But If I could get a new sticker I may.....consider pulling it. Maybe.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Socalandy
none on ebay right now and the other source sells them for $11
bigkensteele
For a perfect reproduction, I would pay 30 - 40 bucks in a heartbeat.
pnewman
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 7 2012, 07:07 PM) *

For a perfect reproduction, I would pay 30 - 40 bucks in a heartbeat.

I definately think that there is a market for custom repro work with an owners numbers. That service would probably be appreciated by all here. I know that I would be in line for one as the body work has swallowed mine as many here have been.

Lets face it. Anyone with long work has probably gone around the sticker and the quality of the repair would be vastly improved if we weren't trying to save a sticker of all things while rust repair in the vicinity was needed. My 2 pennies.

Again, KUDOS for the efforts and what appears to be a well needed service in our community. beerchug.gif
Socalandy
So I talked to my buddy with the etcher. We both want to finish a few decals and see what kind of time is envolved once the numbers are all setup in the program but he is open to the idea. I'm sure I would have found uses for a new laser echer but would rather not buy one.

He did bring up the DMV/VIN recreation subject and I confirmed with him its a compliance sticker with the VIN on it, not the actual VIN. He thought a verification I.E a copy of registration and a rubbing of the body VIN would curb fraud and cover our asses to be on the safe side. You could black out your address, just name/VIN confirmation.

Comments?
Bernie B
Hi Andy-

I think a copy of the Registration and a rubbing of the VIN is certainly a reasonable request and I would certainly have no hesitation in supplying them. That being said I have a 914-6 GT that lost it's sticker on a re-spray prior to my ownership. Please let me know when your ready, I'll be one of the first ones in line!

Bernie
Black22
I'm down for one of these.

I'm sure you'll make more than enough for your own machine on the first run.
laflaur
I am in,whatever you need,etching copies,whatever
Cairo94507
Not a problem at all. You can have a copy of the reg., a rubbing of the VIN and a picture of my car if it helps. I would definitely be down for 2 identical stickers. piratenanner.gif
rick 918-S
I'd be in for one with what ever requirements you decide would meet your needs.
Gint
Easily worth $10 a shot to stamp a user supplied sticker. If you were to supply stickers and stamping, why not $25-30 a pop? I'm in for one BTW.
John
I too would want (2) identical stickers. No problem with rubbing VIN tag and copy of reg. (I plan to do another repaint down the road when the flares get installed.)

Would you be supplying the stickers or would we need to supply our own?

championgt1
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 8 2012, 10:00 AM) *

Easily worth $10 a shot to stamp a user supplied sticker. If you were to supply stickers and stamping, why not $25-30 a pop? I'm in for one BTW.

agree.gif At $25 or $30 bucks I would be in for one!
yellowporky
I would like one also $25-$30 seems like a deal to not have to spend so much time messing around with a color change on the car.
Socalandy
It would be my preference to have the decal, copy of registration and vin rubbing sent in when the order is placed. I will also write up and post an order form to help track and organize all the orders.

let me get a few completed and post pictures of the final product and then go from there.
pnewman
I am in for two also. $25- $30 incl. sticker at your end sounds reasonable.

I think that all of your requests are valid. Some kind of waiver etc as part of an order form wouldn't hurt either.

Bulk purchasing the stickers on your end would probably be the best way to maintain quality assurance / ease of production along with an increase in profit margine.

I look forward to seeing a complete prototype.
charliew
My 75 is malaga red and the sticker is good. BUT I think the original color is pretty dull compared to the newer colors. I did buy 2 gallons of ppg's cheap shopline single stage to do it over though. I redid my sons orange 72 super beetle and painted it white with a pearl blue clear. His first car was a 72 white sb. This one has some of the first car's parts including the 60k original motor. The orange color shows through the holes in the sticker. Sooooo, This will probably work for bugs. I have a pencil rub of both, which I'm looking at, I don't think the bug, (it's gone home with my son) has the circles in it but I'm pretty sure it's the same size, with the same characters. You might get a LOT of business from samba.

I'm also interested in getting a new COMPLIANCE STICKER. probably two or three for future repairs after I'm gone. With the rules you posted. Go to it. Great work.

Gonna subscribe to this to keep up.

I just thought about the fact that I've never transfered the title on my 75 since I've never driven it on the street. When I bought it the owner had just transfered it to herself and got it inspected the day I picked it up. Sooo I will have a title but not in my name. I might have the most invested in a 914 and not have it registered in my name of anyone. It's not the only unregistered car/project in my back yard.
Tom_T
I've got an AA repro sticker & will need it punched for my 73 Andy, whenever you get around to it, or can just get another sticker & punched all from you.

You can come over here & rub my current/original VIN sticker any time, if it floats your boat! biggrin.gif
nsr-jamie
I am interested too. I already have the blank A and A sticker so I could just send you it along with my details. Please let me know. When my car was painted the shop didn't save it and I was a bit dissapointed to say the least.
ape914
Hyperdermic needles of the correct gauge can make good punches for this, cut squre and sharpen edges. That's how I've done VIN stickers before, drill a template to accomidate all positions for the dot matrix and punch away, hopping you only punch the correct holes.
markb
QUOTE(pnewman @ Jan 8 2012, 03:09 PM) *

I am in for two also. $25- $30 incl. sticker at your end sounds reasonable.

I think that all of your requests are valid. Some kind of waiver etc as part of an order form wouldn't hurt either.

Bulk purchasing the stickers on your end would probably be the best way to maintain quality assurance / ease of production along with an increase in profit margin.

I look forward to seeing a complete prototype.

agree.gif

I'd be in for 1. smile.gif
brant
interested also
sbsix
I've been waiting years for someone to figure this problem out. I have a six without the sticker (removed for painting by the PO) and have 2 of AA's stickers ready to go. Please count me in.
eric9144
I'm in too, just for the peace of mind I'd buy two for the "what if" scenarios...
rudedude
I'm in for whatever it takes.
Advertise on 911 sites and I'm sure you'll find much more interest.
Jule
burton73
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 7 2012, 06:05 PM) *

From whats been done so far its doable, The issue would be that the machine is not mine and a large number of orders would put me in the position to buy my own laser etcher. That will run about 1k for a decent unit.

How many would want this service and what would be a fare price per decal would be the next question. will I even break even?

I can asked what he would charge and set the orders up with him but dont know if he would want to. I dont want to make a mint here but dont want to go in the hole.

Questions and comments please

Andy,

The quality of the Manufactured sticker is not the very best. Not sure if it looks as good as the factory units. This should be re-run with UV screen printing to get a cleaner run and done on a vacuum table. I got a couple of units from AA and they both look like the above unit.

As the die would cost and the set up would cost there would need to be a number of the stickers made to make it worthwhile. I question if there should be a thin over lam. of clear on the sticker.

I would be happy to pay $100. For my 914-6 sticker. The right sticker to me is very valuable. Some people just do not have the money.

I paid for 2 stickers from George that I think are less than great.

The quality printing of the stickers is a different deal. Make a better Sticker and charge or have some one make that. People will pay for that.

Bob
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 7 2012, 07:05 PM) *

none on ebay right now and the other source sells them for $11

Hello Andy
I've watched this with great interest.
Just a day before this thread started I visited a friend who is in the steel rule die business.
We spent some time discussing the various things needed to do this properly.
First necessity is a good quality blank of appropriate material.
I've never seen a blank repro so can't comment personally on quality of vinyl or crispness of copy. I have read that what is available is not as good as it could be.
Your efforts with perforation and font of VIN / date are very good and seem to solve that issue.
I'm very confident my friend can solve the issue with the tamper-proof die cut.
This will require a tool that can be used to produce the correct diameter circles, the correct "kiss cut" and also leave a transferrable label.
This can become a bit long winded to type.
Want to discuss it ?
Please PM with your phone number and I'll call you.
I'll also provide my number if would rather call me.
Thank you
Rory
PanelBilly
I'll need a black one, both the sticker and the punching
ruby914
I will need 2 black stickers and punching. beerchug.gif
Socalandy
Update!! I've been looking into a better quality sticker and that's where my focus is as this needs to be done right IMO. My buddy is working on the numbers for the laser work.

I have a day job and a resto going so please be patient, Thks
Cairo94507
No problem at all. I like better quality anything. I am in for two once you get it sorted out. Thanks for doing all of this for all of us.

I would bet that 70% of the people here need compliance stickers for their cars.
charliew
I thought abought cutting the metal out on a bug and using it for the pattern on a mill by drilling through the holes to make a die from something more durable but the circles is another challenge for my shadetree process.
Socalandy
I spoke with Rory yesterday and you can see his post #87. He has a source to do a three part die cut decal that will imulate more closely if not pefectly to the factory sticker so he has the ball on the stickers and will send me samples so we can get the laser etcher dialed in for a proper cut. I will still be cutting a sample on a repro sticker so everyone can see one complete biggrin.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jan 21 2012, 07:28 AM) *

I spoke with Rory yesterday and you can see his post #87. He has a source to do a three part die cut decal that will imulate more closely if not perfectly to the factory sticker so he has the ball on the stickers and will send me samples so we can get the laser etcher dialed in for a proper cut. I will still be cutting a sample on a repro sticker so everyone can see one complete biggrin.gif

Just to be clear.
Andy seems to have a good method to do the date / VIN part of this process.
I'm pretty sure that with the help of people I know that the tamper-proof die cut circles can be reproduced on my end.
Please give me some help here .
How many versions of the sticker are there ?
I can verify two 914 types right here. If you can provide long hood 911
info that is good too.
1. Silver with black , 1970, 1971, 1972(?)- 914 6
2. Black with white, ?, 1975, 1976 - 914
3. etc, ?
I will eventually need clear photos of each version. Hopefully pristine examples.
The first tasks to be dealt with are; the material, the print process and the die cutting. Once these are known we can probably go forward.
I'm not an expert in this area. Please be patient.
I'm gathering info and will provide updates.

Cairo94507
Here is what mine looks like. If need be I can do better when I get some time this weekend.

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
My early MY 73 built Aug. 72 had the black sticker., still on the original L80E paint, with the later repaints over it - verified after I cleaned the repaints off.
rgalla9146
[quote name='Tom_T' date='Jan 24 2012, 04:24 PM' post='1611125']
My early MY 73 built Aug. 72 had the black sticker., still on the original L80E paint, with the later repaints over it - verified after I cleaned the repaints off.
[/quote
Thank you for responding and including a description of your sticker .
Also, thank you for including your production date.
It seems possible that there might be only two versions.
1. early ; silver,black... up to '73 MY
2 later ; ,white,black....'73 to end of production
I haven't had a chance to look at a early 4cyl to see if the copy is same as a 6.
Anyone ?
ClayPerrine
My 73, build date of 11/72, had a black sticker.

It has nothing now. I would love to get a new one for both my 914 and my wife's 74.

Clay
Tom_T
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 25 2012, 06:30 AM) *

I haven't had a chance to look at a early 4cyl to see if the copy is same as a 6.
Anyone ?

PM Pat Garvey or Paul/Neunverzehn for a shot of their 72 & 70 914/4's respectively.

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of my buddy's dead original 71 he's owned since new, but will try to remember to get one when I see him/it next.
charliew
I haven't been on samba in a good while but when this is done all it will take is a link posted there and the compliance sticker business will probably increase 5 fold.

I wish the title of this was door jamb compliance sticker though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.