Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door Compliance Sticker Replacement? (was VIN sticker), replacements?
PRS914-6
post Nov 19 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #21

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031
Region Association: None

QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Nov 19 2011, 12:13 PM) *

the intent of my post is to help those who need this. I have done it correct and legal thru my shop. it is not difficult at all.
don't get intimidated by paragraph A
perhaps I should have only posted section B

Sorry if it sounded like I was criticizing your info...It is great stuff to know and good that you posted it. My comments are really directed at this topic in general since it comes up frequently.

Tampering with a VIN can get you in jail, no arguing that. I just wanted to point out that people seem to worry about the sticker too much and it isn't even the actual real VIN plate. That number is at the windshield and also STAMPED in the fender in metal and that is the REAL VIN number! The sticker in the door is just informational for the year and it's compliance with law. Removing it for a paint job is not a sin. Yes, if you changed the number on that tag it might be considered fraudulent if your INTENT was fraudulent. The tag in the door is no more important than the smog sticker under the hood of most vehicles. If it happens to fall off or get removed, you won't go to jail......Hope that clears up my intent.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
carr914
post Nov 21 2011, 06:16 AM
Post #22

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Nov 19 2011, 04:28 PM) *

The sticker in the door is just informational for the year and it's compliance with law.

Removing it for a paint job is not a sin.

That is Correct & hence it is called a Compliance Sticker

I consider it a Sin if you take your Painter over to the car, Point to the Compliance Sticker and say " Under No Circumstance does this Sticker get removed !!!!", then they remove it anyway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

I understand the Legal argument, but I don't think it applies. In a lot of cases, there is no longer a Sticker there.

Can you get one from Porsche, Yes- but it is incorrect
Can you a Blank from AA, Yes, but it is not Punched or Embossed
Blanks are available Cheaper than AA

The embossing ( Semi-Circles) is a bitch and is tough to get in a perfectly line, but can be done with a 5mm Biopsy Tool

The Punching of Numbers - I've heard of Threads of the Bank Check Machines, but I've never read one.

It can be done by hand, but

Options:
Original Sticker in Place
No Sticker
Blank Replacement
Re-done Replacement

Everybody would like an Original, but my Choice would then be Re-done Replacement, No Sticker, Blank

Now if I could find where I put this one, I would show you how it looks on a car

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
boogie_man
post Nov 21 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,969
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 17 2011, 03:48 PM) *

QUOTE(boogie_man @ Nov 17 2011, 04:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 16 2011, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(boogie_man @ Nov 16 2011, 03:39 PM) *

Their FAQs say that they will not sell labels to private parties, so you need to go through a body shop.

It's also not clear that they do the old style punched VIN labels that our 914s had. Theirs all look like the printed & OCR/Barcode type.

Good thing I own a Body Shop...whewww, that was close.

As my Dad would've said to something like that - Smartass! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

That's great to know for those of us here in SoCal, so you'll have a few from here come by your shop I'm sure.

But poor George who originally asked the question is stuck up in the currently frigid Windy City, so he'll have to find a shop in Chicagoland.

Do you know if this group can also do the punched style of VIN labels as on our 914s? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Sorry LOL I wasn't trying to be a smartass as I too am in the same boat. I have
the original in the jamb but it will need to be removed. Maybe we could come up
with a plan for a group buy using my shop for other 914 peeps (no one has visited me yet prlly because of my attitude, ask slits) I would be willing to help if needed guys.

Thanks

Scott
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 21 2011, 04:12 PM
Post #24

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(boogie_man @ Nov 21 2011, 02:32 PM) *

Their FAQs say that they will not sell labels to private parties, so you need to go through a body shop.

It's also not clear that they do the old style punched VIN labels that our 914s had. Theirs all look like the printed & OCR/Barcode type.

As my Dad would've said to something like that - Smartass! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

That's great to know for those of us here in SoCal, so you'll have a few from here come by your shop I'm sure.

But poor George who originally asked the question is stuck up in the currently frigid Windy City, so he'll have to find a shop in Chicagoland.

Do you know if this group can also do the punched style of VIN labels as on our 914s? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

with a plan for a group buy using my shop for other 914 peeps (no one has visited me yet prlly because of my attitude, ask slits) I would be willing to help if needed guys.

Thanks

Scott

No harm, no foul Scott! I got a good laugh out of your reply! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanx for the offer!

Thanx to the others above who've added useful info on tis topic.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Nov 21 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

I've often wondered myself if it would be possible to have a press or punch type tool made to do these--there are A LOT of people who'd be interested if it could be done "right"

I was thinking a punch tool/jig would be the simplest method--kind of like the old printing theory where the letters and numbers are pieces that could be changed around... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Or if we could figure out what make/model this check printer thing is--locate one and try to buy it...the market is there if one of us can pull it all together!

Boogie_man, if you can get these done, I'm in for one on the off chance I'll ever need it!
+Quote Post
MDG
post Nov 21 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #26

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Nov 21 2011, 05:23 PM) *

I've often wondered myself if it would be possible to have a press or punch type tool made to do these--there are A LOT of people who'd be interested if it could be done "right"

I was thinking a punch tool/jig would be the simplest method--kind of like the old printing theory where the letters and numbers are pieces that could be changed around... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Why yes, yes you can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

I had my guy do a single row and set it; as I am only doing one, I'll set and press by hand adjusting row by row.

Any die-cutter with a small press could do this. Finding one willing to do it on something as precarious as a VIN sticker? Good luck.

I also had my number set on another blank so after I kiss-cut the circles I can punch the VIN number itself.

I own the printing company; doing it for myself on my own car I am restoring and knowing everything info-wise is legit is one thing. I wouldn't do this for an off the street customer. On the other hand, a lot of guys will do anything for the cash.
+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Nov 21 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226

QUOTE(boogie_man @ Nov 21 2011, 02:32 PM) *

Thanks

Scott

I'm gonna need one too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Nov 21 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

How close are these replacement stickers to the original? My car is a 4 and is black. Are these available? I am assuming the one shown is for a 6 and I cannot compare it. A punch could be fairly easy to make.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Nov 21 2011, 05:18 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

The black stickers are available as repros--the silver ones aren't from what I know...
+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Nov 21 2011, 05:19 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 21 2011, 04:06 PM) *

How close are these replacement stickers to the original? My car is a 4 and is black. Are these available? I am assuming the one shown is for a 6 and I cannot compare it. A punch could be fairly easy to make.

Here is one of mine, you guys are going to hate me, I had one of those old Bank machine, and old girl friend was a VP at a local bank and when they updated, she gave me a bunch of the old stuff (mostly lights & clock, but a few other bits too) but I have no clue where it is right now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 21 2011, 05:38 PM
Post #31

TMI....

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Nov 21 2011, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Nov 21 2011, 04:06 PM) *

Here is one of mine, you guys are going to hate me, I had one of those old Bank machine, and old girl friend was a VP at a local bank and when they updated, she gave me a bunch of the old stuff (mostly lights & clock, but a few other bits too) but I have no clue where it is right now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Attached Image

Well dig it out & you can help fund your resto with punching these for all of us Byron! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 21 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #32

TMI....

Same black with punched letters type was used on my 8/72 built 73 914-2.0 -

Attached Image

AA sells one that looks just like this, but blank; and from one of the posts above it sounds like their are other sources for them as well.
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Nov 22 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #33

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305

I am guessing AA doesn't want to do this work cause of possible legal troubles...but they sell the blank stickers and I have one and its excellent!! Any way normal folks can make these themselfs?

What about somebody with one of those mini CNC mills? A small enough center drill just lightly touching the surface not hard enough to brake through and with a correct program and proper z-axis height setting could possibly do it....though I suspect a few stickers would be lost at first until the correct setting could be found. Maybe sounds like too much work for something that could be made easier the old fashioned way....

No bankers in here? I know a banker who has a beautiful 356, I should ask him and see if he can help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Nov 23 2011, 08:46 PM
Post #34

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742

So I think I have what it takes to do this but need some hi res closeups to have all #'s 0 thru 9. I have access to the machine and tests have been done on paper and it can handle the dot size

Post my results and then talk about how much trouble it can cause to do them
+Quote Post
pete000
post Nov 23 2011, 11:10 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 12,094

I am going to be needing one made up soon as well.

Hope it works !

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
carr914
post Nov 24 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #36

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Nov 21 2011, 06:18 PM) *

The black stickers are available as repros--the silver ones aren't from what I know...

The Silver Ones are Available ( In Fact I need to Order Some). If anyone else needs Blank ( Un-Punched or Semi-Cuts) let me know and I'll put in a bigger order

T.C.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Nov 24 2011, 08:37 AM
Post #37

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742

Are they a repop or original blanks? if they are orig. I will take 2 silver

thanks
+Quote Post
Dick Kress
post Nov 24 2011, 12:04 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 12,613
Region Association: Middle East

I would take 2 silver if they are same as original on "73.
+Quote Post
Black22
post Nov 24 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'd need a couple done if you start taking orders. I'll supply my blanks. I need the black ones for a '74. I'd like to get one to apply on the car now(new paint) and one for the next repaint (waaay down the road).

It wasn't funny when the painter called and said, "you don't need that sticker in the door jamb do you?" I told him yes and to leave it on. He said it was too late his guys already removed it! Why ask me then!?!.

Oh well I wasn't worried about it but, if someones going to punch them....
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 24 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #40

TMI....

QUOTE(Dick Kress @ Nov 24 2011, 11:04 AM) *

I would take 2 silver if they are same as original on "73.

Dick - yours should be black for a 73.

My 73 in the pic above is about as early as it gets - 8/72, and every 73 I've seen is Black - not silver labels.

I think silver was 70 & 71 MYs & I'm not sure about 72 MY - Silver, Black or mid-year switch?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

10 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 05:16 AM