Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine shelf installation
saigon71
post Nov 18 2011, 05:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I struggled for a few hours trying to fit the passenger side engine shelf from RD today. I am afraid that my up & down measurement might have been off on the passenger side engine bar mount, causing these problems. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I really have no template to go off except the drivers side and the front and rear firewall sheet metal that holds the engine bay seal is gone so I have nothing to line up to. Here are my questions for someone who has done this before:

Does the passenger side get installed in the same fashion - perpendicular to the long until it reaches the suspension console...or does it slope down toward the center of the car?

Does the passenger side engine shelf rest on the top of the engine bar mount like the drivers side?

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Nov 18 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

Bob , that piece is fairly flat on top ( horizonal ) until it turns on top of the engine mount and slopes down to the hell hole . Yes it does mount on top of the engine mount . I had to patch mine , here's a pic of mine ( not the best in the world , but an idea of what you may be wanting to see / know ) .

Jack

Attached Image
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 19 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks Jack. With the help of your pic I was able to figure things out. The shelf needed to be "flattened out" a bit in the front. Additionally, I had previously welded in a new top section on the engine mount. The new section was a little higher in the front, amplified over the length of the engine shelf, it caused it to be quite a bit higher at the front firewall. Adjusted the top of the engine mount with a big hammer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Bob

+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Nov 20 2011, 08:54 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Bob , that looks great !!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) The shelf is just spoted / tacked along the edge of it on top of the long , engine mount , suspension mount , and the piece that you don't have installed. Keep up the good work !!!!

Jack
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:05 PM