Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Test Picture, 914-6
DonTraver
post Aug 10 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,461

The engine shroud is painted, but first you need to clean it really good, soak it in degreaser for a few days. Then rough sand the top, not the underside, leave that side alone. I used 40 grit wet & dry, after that's done, reglass with resin. This seals out all the years of oil soaking into fiberglass that you won't get out. If you don't reglass, the oil that you don't get out will lift the paint when the engine gets hot. Then when the resin has set, wet sand without going thru with 80 grit. Prime with epoxy primer, wet sand and shoot what ever color you want. I used PPG Delstar paint. Same color Blue as the flames I painted on my bike.

Yeah, I raced with POC in 2002, even won some Kuhmo bucks with them. 2003 decided to remodel house, gave away all my furniture, stripped house. Have learned one thing about remodeling, it you're not insane when you start, you soon will be, lol.

May start racing next year, have been practicing in mountains, best day to practice is Wed. Best time, San Diego to Hemet, 240 miles, 4 hours.

Drew, yeah I can make your car look like that, but it isn't cheap. Example, Digital gauges, $500 material without fittings, interior, $1000 just for leather, paint job $1500+ for paints. As I've told others, I will help you and teach you how to do it. but I don't hire out. How's that sound?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gint
post Aug 11 2004, 07:28 AM
Post #22

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hi Don!

I saw your car and asked about your engine compartment paint at Glen's swap meet in Riverside. Very nice 914.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 11 2004, 07:34 AM
Post #23

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

40 and 80 grit... did we drop a 0 or two? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Aug 11 2004, 10:20 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 2,461

Nope, 40 & 80 grit on the fiberglass. You want it real roughed up to grab the new resin and primer. Sand the primer with 400, there's that other 0. If the paint does lift, it will be the boundry between the resin and fiberglass or resin and primer. The primer will fill the 80 grit scratches just fine.
+Quote Post
nsyr
post Aug 11 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #25

Because I Can

Member No.: 2,073

Got some more pics of the interior? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 10:10 AM