Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> shifter swap 74 to 72?, Different parts?
86motoman
post Aug 10 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,064

I have a 74 undriveable with a good shifter feel.

I have a 72 that will be my driver and the shifter is undriveably loose.

How easy is it to sway these shifters?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 10 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #2

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

One is a tail shifter and one is a side shifter.....at least they were from the factory.

Look under the 72 and see if the shift rod location on the trans is different from your 74.

IF it is.....it's not an EASY swap but can be done.

The early one can be cleaned up with bushing replacements and such....check the 914FAC section for upgrade hints.
+Quote Post
rhcb914
post Aug 10 2004, 12:34 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,626

It's a pretty straight forward swap. I did it in my 1970. You will need the following

1)Side Shift Tranny
2)The late engine mount bar (the one with the big hole in it for the shift rod to go through), motor mounts and the mounting brackets.
3)Solid outboard mounts to replace the early rubber ones. The engine mount bar bolts up to these.
4)All of the shift linkage, including the shifter.
5)Side shift conversion bushing for the firewall. (I got mine from Pelican Parts)

If you do a search on this site there are some recent threads on this topic.

Good luck and happy motoring!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
86motoman
post Aug 10 2004, 12:37 PM
Post #4

I can't tell the difference between a tail and side shifter. Where the shifter cable connects to the transaxle looks identical on both cars. They both connect at the rear on the right side.

Has somebody changed a shifter? Or am I not clear on what the two different shifters are.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 10 2004, 12:46 PM
Post #5

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Given he has a complete 74 with a side-shifter sitting there, the only new part required would be the "special" firewall shift bushing, which adapts the hole in the tub to the different side-shifter linkage tube. All of the other parts will come off the 74. And yes, the entire shifting mechanism from the knob on the shift lever all the way back to and including the transaxle will need to be swapped. Actually, the knob itself might be interchangable, but that's it.

Rebuilding the tailshifter linkage is also possible. There are six nylon parts to replace (as opposed to three in the side-shifter), and doing this requires complete removal and replacement of the shift linkage, followed by adjustment (which is harder to do than on the side-shifter because of the placement of the adjuster pinch bolt).
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 10 2004, 12:59 PM
Post #6

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

The cables on the passenger side are the clutch cable (big one that goes around a pulley) and the speedo cable (smaller one that goes into the tail cover). These cables are the same on both gearboxes. The shifter, however, is on the driver's side on both gearboxes.

On the tail shifter, you'll see a shaft coming out of the tail cover pointing sideways to the driver's side, and either a fork and pin arrangement or a plastic box (the box is a grease seal, and is often missing). There should be a shaft leading forward from the fork and pin doodad (or box). This came stock on the 72, though I've heard some late 72s may have gotten a side shifter (and someone may have done the swap, anyway). The engine mount bar will just be a straight square-section tube across the bottom forward bit of the engine.

On the side shifter, there's a U-joint looking thing just aft of the firewall, the engine mount will be a cast I-beam with a big loop in it on the driver's side that the shift rod passes through. The linkage will end about 2/3s of the way back along the transaxle, most likely into a square-ish box attached like a leech to the side of the transaxle.

If you have a side-shifter on both cars, then just buy a new bushing kit for a side-shifter and rebuild it. Not expensive, and no more difficult than swapping parts with your 74. Two bushings and a cup in nylon, and one cone-headed screw. It's also possible the U-joint near the firewall may also be shot, and should also be replaced. That you may be able to salvage from the 74.
+Quote Post
phantom914
post Aug 10 2004, 01:03 PM
Post #7

non-914-owner non-club member

Member No.: 1,708

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Aug 10 2004, 10:59 AM)
It's also possible the U-joint near the firewall may also be shot, and should also be replaced. That you may be able to salvage from the 74.

The 'super kit' from Pelican includes the bushings for the U-joint.

Andrew
+Quote Post
86motoman
post Aug 10 2004, 01:06 PM
Post #8

Right on! Thank you very much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Aug 10 2004, 03:57 PM
Post #9

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Member No.: 2,437

Motoman,
I am in the process of swapping my tranny right now. Pulled the old tailshifter this morning without any problems (see subsection of the Tech Article for Clutch Install @ pelican).

If you want I can send you a couple of emails that I have from D. Darling at Pelican specifying p/n's for most of the items mentioned in this thread.

The only problem I have now is that as I look at my car I am thinking, gee I am already in here....hmm....new clutch,..... new pilot bearing,.... flywheel seal would be good insurance...Oh yea, when I pull the engine mount, I should service that altenator I have been putting off... WHERE DOES IT ALL END!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

good luck

JR
+Quote Post
86motoman
post Aug 10 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #10

Yes please send me that. The more info. the better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I am probably just going to rebush the tail shifter. It seems like the easiest thing atleast right now.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Aug 10 2004, 04:52 PM
Post #11

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The motor mount bar will tell you which you have, as previously noted.

So will the transmission. If the linkage goes into the transmission at the end cover, you have a tail-shifter. If it goes into the transmission in front of the intermediate plate (AKA, on the side of the transmission housing), you have a side-shifter.

Feel free to post the part numbers here, if you think it will help! I don't have them available at the moment, or I would...

--DD
+Quote Post
86motoman
post Aug 10 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #12

Yah...I am an idiot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif) I was looking at the speedo cable. It's amazing how much clearer things have become now. hehe The 74 is the sideshift and the 72 is the tail shift. No question. My 74 went through a hard wreck that broke the trans mounts. I am concerned about using those parts as they might be bent or broken.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 10 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Where the shifter cable connects to the transaxle

I knew we where in for a long thread.... :finger2:

My gut reaction was: he drives Honda's...LOL

Sorry.

B
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 10 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #14

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(jr91472 @ Aug 10 2004, 01:57 PM)
Motoman,
I am in the process of swapping my tranny right now. Pulled the old tailshifter this morning without any problems (see subsection of the Tech Article for Clutch Install @ pelican).

If you want I can send you a couple of emails that I have from D. Darling at Pelican specifying p/n's for most of the items mentioned in this thread.

The only problem I have now is that as I look at my car I am thinking, gee I am already in here....hmm....new clutch,..... new pilot bearing,.... flywheel seal would be good insurance...Oh yea, when I pull the engine mount, I should service that altenator I have been putting off... WHERE DOES IT ALL END!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

good luck

JR

We need to discuss "Dirk Wright Disease"aka "while I is in there".....it should probably be added to the 914 FAQ.....

Common occurrence with us'n that are afflicted with the 914 disease.....we get estimates in writing so that we can prove to our wives how much saved by doing the reapir/upgrade "ourselves".......

SOME o us have the disease that transcends models and manufacturers.
+Quote Post
jr91472
post Aug 10 2004, 07:46 PM
Post #15

"I'm pacing myself sergeant..."

Member No.: 2,437

ah.....written estimates.....brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 04:57 AM