Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shifter swap 74 to 72?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
86motoman
I have a 74 undriveable with a good shifter feel.

I have a 72 that will be my driver and the shifter is undriveably loose.

How easy is it to sway these shifters?
Joe Bob
One is a tail shifter and one is a side shifter.....at least they were from the factory.

Look under the 72 and see if the shift rod location on the trans is different from your 74.

IF it is.....it's not an EASY swap but can be done.

The early one can be cleaned up with bushing replacements and such....check the 914FAC section for upgrade hints.
rhcb914
It's a pretty straight forward swap. I did it in my 1970. You will need the following

1)Side Shift Tranny
2)The late engine mount bar (the one with the big hole in it for the shift rod to go through), motor mounts and the mounting brackets.
3)Solid outboard mounts to replace the early rubber ones. The engine mount bar bolts up to these.
4)All of the shift linkage, including the shifter.
5)Side shift conversion bushing for the firewall. (I got mine from Pelican Parts)

If you do a search on this site there are some recent threads on this topic.

Good luck and happy motoring!! biggrin.gif
86motoman
I can't tell the difference between a tail and side shifter. Where the shifter cable connects to the transaxle looks identical on both cars. They both connect at the rear on the right side.

Has somebody changed a shifter? Or am I not clear on what the two different shifters are.
lapuwali
Given he has a complete 74 with a side-shifter sitting there, the only new part required would be the "special" firewall shift bushing, which adapts the hole in the tub to the different side-shifter linkage tube. All of the other parts will come off the 74. And yes, the entire shifting mechanism from the knob on the shift lever all the way back to and including the transaxle will need to be swapped. Actually, the knob itself might be interchangable, but that's it.

Rebuilding the tailshifter linkage is also possible. There are six nylon parts to replace (as opposed to three in the side-shifter), and doing this requires complete removal and replacement of the shift linkage, followed by adjustment (which is harder to do than on the side-shifter because of the placement of the adjuster pinch bolt).
lapuwali
The cables on the passenger side are the clutch cable (big one that goes around a pulley) and the speedo cable (smaller one that goes into the tail cover). These cables are the same on both gearboxes. The shifter, however, is on the driver's side on both gearboxes.

On the tail shifter, you'll see a shaft coming out of the tail cover pointing sideways to the driver's side, and either a fork and pin arrangement or a plastic box (the box is a grease seal, and is often missing). There should be a shaft leading forward from the fork and pin doodad (or box). This came stock on the 72, though I've heard some late 72s may have gotten a side shifter (and someone may have done the swap, anyway). The engine mount bar will just be a straight square-section tube across the bottom forward bit of the engine.

On the side shifter, there's a U-joint looking thing just aft of the firewall, the engine mount will be a cast I-beam with a big loop in it on the driver's side that the shift rod passes through. The linkage will end about 2/3s of the way back along the transaxle, most likely into a square-ish box attached like a leech to the side of the transaxle.

If you have a side-shifter on both cars, then just buy a new bushing kit for a side-shifter and rebuild it. Not expensive, and no more difficult than swapping parts with your 74. Two bushings and a cup in nylon, and one cone-headed screw. It's also possible the U-joint near the firewall may also be shot, and should also be replaced. That you may be able to salvage from the 74.
phantom914
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Aug 10 2004, 10:59 AM)
It's also possible the U-joint near the firewall may also be shot, and should also be replaced. That you may be able to salvage from the 74.

The 'super kit' from Pelican includes the bushings for the U-joint.

Andrew
86motoman
Right on! Thank you very much. beerchug.gif
jr91472
Motoman,
I am in the process of swapping my tranny right now. Pulled the old tailshifter this morning without any problems (see subsection of the Tech Article for Clutch Install @ pelican).

If you want I can send you a couple of emails that I have from D. Darling at Pelican specifying p/n's for most of the items mentioned in this thread.

The only problem I have now is that as I look at my car I am thinking, gee I am already in here....hmm....new clutch,..... new pilot bearing,.... flywheel seal would be good insurance...Oh yea, when I pull the engine mount, I should service that altenator I have been putting off... WHERE DOES IT ALL END!!!!! wacko.gif

good luck

JR
86motoman
Yes please send me that. The more info. the better. biggrin.gif

I am probably just going to rebush the tail shifter. It seems like the easiest thing atleast right now.
Dave_Darling
The motor mount bar will tell you which you have, as previously noted.

So will the transmission. If the linkage goes into the transmission at the end cover, you have a tail-shifter. If it goes into the transmission in front of the intermediate plate (AKA, on the side of the transmission housing), you have a side-shifter.

Feel free to post the part numbers here, if you think it will help! I don't have them available at the moment, or I would...

--DD
86motoman
Yah...I am an idiot. coffee.gif I was looking at the speedo cable. It's amazing how much clearer things have become now. hehe The 74 is the sideshift and the 72 is the tail shift. No question. My 74 went through a hard wreck that broke the trans mounts. I am concerned about using those parts as they might be bent or broken.
Brad Roberts
Where the shifter cable connects to the transaxle

I knew we where in for a long thread.... :finger2:

My gut reaction was: he drives Honda's...LOL

Sorry.

B
Joe Bob
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Aug 10 2004, 01:57 PM)
Motoman,
I am in the process of swapping my tranny right now. Pulled the old tailshifter this morning without any problems (see subsection of the Tech Article for Clutch Install @ pelican).

If you want I can send you a couple of emails that I have from D. Darling at Pelican specifying p/n's for most of the items mentioned in this thread.

The only problem I have now is that as I look at my car I am thinking, gee I am already in here....hmm....new clutch,..... new pilot bearing,.... flywheel seal would be good insurance...Oh yea, when I pull the engine mount, I should service that altenator I have been putting off... WHERE DOES IT ALL END!!!!! wacko.gif

good luck

JR

We need to discuss "Dirk Wright Disease"aka "while I is in there".....it should probably be added to the 914 FAQ.....

Common occurrence with us'n that are afflicted with the 914 disease.....we get estimates in writing so that we can prove to our wives how much saved by doing the reapir/upgrade "ourselves".......

SOME o us have the disease that transcends models and manufacturers.
jr91472
ah.....written estimates.....brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.