Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My wheels need a cleaning, What should i do or use
mxdude914
post Aug 10 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 925

I need to get 30 year old build up off my 4-bolt mahles but dont have money to have anyone else do anything to them. What have you guys used to get somewhat of a shine on them. Although keep in mind i need something strong since the last time this car wasnt in a barn on dirt was 1979 so theres quite a bit of build up
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tod914
post Aug 10 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Maybe start by taking them to a self service car wash. Power wash em. If you plan on painting them, ZEP citrus degreaser for about $5 a bottle might be good to clean the remaing crap off. You can get it at home depot. Not sure how it will effect the metal so you might want to test it.
+Quote Post
reverie
post Aug 10 2004, 09:18 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 427
Region Association: None

I use the citrus degreaser on the lightweight aluminum-alloy wheels on my RX-7,
and it does a great job on them. So it should be okay for Mahles, too.
+Quote Post
smg914
post Aug 10 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #4

Sahara Beige Steve

Member No.: 1,695
Region Association: None

I would be very careful using any kind of degreaser on those Mahle's. They have been known to turn a blueish tint when certain chemicals come in contact with them. I would stick with PH balanced stuff. I use P21S on my Fuchs wheels. On 2 liter anodized Fuchs wheels, lemon SOS pads do a nice job of cleaning them up. The Mahle's are painted silver so I'm not sure if the SOS pads would take some of the paint off. After they are sufficently cleaned up, you could always shoot them with some wurth silver. Maybe even have them sand plasted then shoot them with the Wurth. They would look like new again.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 02:49 AM