Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My wheels need a cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mxdude914
I need to get 30 year old build up off my 4-bolt mahles but dont have money to have anyone else do anything to them. What have you guys used to get somewhat of a shine on them. Although keep in mind i need something strong since the last time this car wasnt in a barn on dirt was 1979 so theres quite a bit of build up
tod914
Maybe start by taking them to a self service car wash. Power wash em. If you plan on painting them, ZEP citrus degreaser for about $5 a bottle might be good to clean the remaing crap off. You can get it at home depot. Not sure how it will effect the metal so you might want to test it.
reverie
I use the citrus degreaser on the lightweight aluminum-alloy wheels on my RX-7,
and it does a great job on them. So it should be okay for Mahles, too.
smg914
I would be very careful using any kind of degreaser on those Mahle's. They have been known to turn a blueish tint when certain chemicals come in contact with them. I would stick with PH balanced stuff. I use P21S on my Fuchs wheels. On 2 liter anodized Fuchs wheels, lemon SOS pads do a nice job of cleaning them up. The Mahle's are painted silver so I'm not sure if the SOS pads would take some of the paint off. After they are sufficently cleaned up, you could always shoot them with some wurth silver. Maybe even have them sand plasted then shoot them with the Wurth. They would look like new again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.