Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dual Tone From a Single Muffler, WTF???
Bruce Allert
post Aug 12 2004, 07:14 AM
Post #1

Hellions asleep

Group: Members
Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It's strange (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) I have this sound that there are 2 mufflers, each with a different note, kind of a harmony with each other going on but I have one muffler & exhaust pipe or tip.

The car runs ok but not great and does this dual tone most of the time & sometiimes it doesn't.

Is this a valve thing or ??????? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Getting tired of all this crap going on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Don't get me wrong, I love the car but there's a limit one can take..... (looked at Miata's & S 2000's last night (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif) )

Help me...... save me........ Please (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

...........b
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Aug 12 2004, 09:01 AM
Post #2

Hellions asleep

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
Help me guys...

I know where there's a nice Miata to look at
& I DON"T WANNA.... but it's calling to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

....b
+Quote Post
Marlow
post Aug 12 2004, 09:15 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,027

OK, I'll try to save you and take a stab at it -- you have a leak somewhere?
+Quote Post
SGB
post Aug 12 2004, 09:19 AM
Post #4

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

Miatas are nice cars. I bet I see forty a day, and none of the driver's look unhappy. Most of 'em were on the phone. With the top up. And the AC on. I'll bet they had something in the cupholder, too. The miata has done a great job bringing the satisfaction of being in a sports car to a lot of folks. The 914 has brought a great deal of satisfaction to DRIVERS who understand what a sports car can do. Miatas drive great, too. But ultimately compromise to the the greatest common dollorinator for mazda. You already have crossed over. There is no going back. You will never be satisfied with a product you can't get pissed off about! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 12 2004, 09:20 AM
Post #5

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Miata - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 12 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #6

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

If it sounds like a flutter...ya might have a big rusty chunk floating around in the muffler. Could also be a leak at the welds, the flanges etc.....

The chunk will beat itself up and eventually fly out the tailpipe.....

The leaks will just get worse and can be found by wetting your hand and waving it under the engine.....the water will help you feel the stream off exhaust gas....you could also try a stethescope.....
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rocky
post Aug 12 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #7

From the cockpit

Member No.: 1,845

I had a leak where my HE mated to my Bursh. Sounded like you described.
I had a Miata, my neighbor has a S2000 and the guy down the street got a good deal on a Z3. I pass cars on the road like these all the time and never give them a second glance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
There is no love affair with these new mass production, electronic, how the f#ck do I work on this cars.
Go out right now and say your sorry to your teener. Theres the love baby. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Tim
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Aug 12 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #8

Hellions asleep

OK, thanks guys. I went out & gave my baby a pat & said "I'm sorry". After feeding the horses I poped the engine lid & said to myself, "Self... pull them f*ck'n injectors & see if'n they're work'n right. Then pull that thar dizzy & see if'n da weights'r free & then check da injector points..... "
Well, at least I gots me a plan.

Sorry to bring up the miata word...... jes'a fleeting thought (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

.........b
+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Aug 12 2004, 03:36 PM
Post #9

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Welcome back Bruce. Go water your rust seeds and contemplate the error of your ways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This 914 stuff is a funk you can't shake. Just get comfy and enjoy the ride. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 07:37 AM