Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just made some more room...., For a V8!
bondo
post Aug 13 2004, 11:31 AM
Post #21

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Group: Members
Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I've heard of doing the hole in firewall for stock pump thing. You can't use the backpad anymore, and you may not be able to get the seats all the way back. I was actually considering doing something like that for my cam driven water pump on the LT1, until I found out about the electric drive for it. It's a pretty nifty idea, and will allow remote mounting of the stock thermostat and water pump assembly. Here's a link to a picture: CSI electric drive water pump They make them for inline remote mounting, which would probably work fine for a regular SBC. With my reverse cooling, I wanted to keep the cooling system as unmolested as possible to avoid problems.

Hopefully I can fit a battery, the water pump, and the radiator in the front trunk.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
John2kx
post Aug 13 2004, 02:04 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,066

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 13 2004, 08:08 AM)
John, Thanks.
I knew there was a ton of room side to side.. But what about in the front? I could cut that part out and give myself a little extra room for timing or other stuff.. Right?

Andyrew,

I don't think cutting the front part of engine shelf buys you much either in a V8 car. There's still not enough room to be gained to time it from top side of car due to the way cabin bulkhead is angled. I actually ended up timing by ear and seat of pants vs. using the marks I installed on flywheel and harmonic balancer. Remember, the harmonic balancer, water pump, alternator and a/c compressor are all located below engine shelf. I can't imagine anything you would gain (maintenance wise) by removing it. Different animal if your going the "dog house" approach and using stock water pump.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with removing the engine shelf and think it looks pretty clean when done right..........just saying that it is not necessary.

The shelf does provide support for your wiring harness. If you cut it out, you'll need something to support harness so it does not make contact with drive belts.

John
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Aug 13 2004, 05:43 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

Pass. side almost done. The bottom of the engine mount still needs to go and then some final minor clean-ups
The frame rails underneath the engine mount is still solid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Aug 13 2004, 05:44 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Drivers side... gettin' there

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Aug 13 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Almost ready so seam-weld this puppy up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 13 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #26

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Jeroen: Whoo, you went a bit farther than I did. Looks good! What engine ya got planned for it? Mine is a daily driver, and I'm already going to lose most/all of the front trunk to the cooling system, so I am keeping the rear trunk.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Aug 13 2004, 06:04 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

3.0 Carrera... aiming for 230 bhp and 1750#
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 09:28 PM