Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear Window Fix/Install Step-by-Step, get rid of rattles and leaks
Cairo94507
post Oct 31 2022, 08:22 AM
Post #41

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

With the help of Greg T. in Tracy, we got the new hi-mount 3rd brake light and new to me heated rear glass installed yesterday. The 3rd brake light was not difficult, but before we embarked on actually installing the light I met up with Chris @tygaboy , at the Red Barn and he had a heavy duty heat gun we used to induce a slight curve into the light so it matched the curve of the Targa bar and fit perfectly. Thanks again Chris.

We used 3M trim tape to install it. The light is very light, weighs nothing really and the 3M tape is more than sufficient to hold it forever. No need to drill any holes to screw it to the roll bar. Once I clean up the car I will post pictures showing that light installed.

Butyl would be the easy install because you roll it out, place the glass, press and assemble. The Butyl does not really squish out anywhere as it essentially stays where you put it. The problem for me was the entire bottom of my glass was loose and it had only been in the car for approx. 3 years.

We installed this glass with Urethane. That window is not going to vibrate or leak now. We got a great seal all the way around.

Working with Urethane is another story entirely. This was more about laying a nice bead with the electric gun, placing the glass and pressing firmly. The Urethane kind of squishes out and then you need to clean all that off before the Urethane sets up. Greg and I worked together and got it done. Once cleaned up we re-installed the interior.

I have to tell you, I was a bit anxious when I saw the Urethane on the paint... but Greg was 100% correct, it cleaned up without a problem. My blood pressure dropped when I saw it cleaned up easily.

My brother came with me and we were joined by HB (2-914 owner). HB brought a cooler full of beverages and he and Bob relaxed and watched as Greg and I worked. We had a great day. Greg is a great guy and great teacher- I learned a lot as we worked and I really enjoyed that.

We took her for a ride and it was nice not to have that rattling glass noise behind my head. Today I will do a full clean on the car, finishing with a nice coat of wax. But first, I have to go return the Urethane gun to the shop that was kind enough to loan me one of their guns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stoneman30hotmail
post Oct 31 2022, 01:09 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 26,834
Region Association: South East States

What is this insulation stuff? What keeps it there? Looks nice and modern. Does it work for the other side?

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 29 2022, 08:14 AM) *

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 31 2022, 01:50 PM
Post #43

Michael

@stoneman30hotmail Thats just an off-shoot of Dynamat for sound deadening. It will stick where ever you put it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 31 2022, 05:58 PM
Post #44

Michael

OK, spent the day getting her cleaned back up and putting on a nice coat of wax. Here is the new hi-mount LED brake light.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:09 PM