Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What's wrong with the fuel system?, 914-6 w/ 40 PMO's won't start or idle (without assistance)
david63
post Dec 16 2011, 07:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,653
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It will become obvious that I am not the best mechanic in the world so keep that in mind when you hear my questions.

My 1970 914-6 (GT replica w/ twin plug 2.5) is not feeling too well. A job change kept me away from the car for several months and now you guessed it - it will not run.

What have I done so far... I suspect that the gas is bad so I drained the gas from the tank, replaced it with new gas (even put in a couple of gallons of high octane racing fuel (I know the fuel is OK now).

What the car is doing... It will start if I put a little gas in each carb (has 40 MM PMO's) it starts right up and NOW if I keep my foot in it I can keep it running. It will not idle and it does not hold a constant RPM with no change in throttle position?

I think the fuel psi could be the issue or there is something wrong with the carbs(different settings on the regulator between 3 psi and 9 psi do not seem to help or hurt)? Could the PMO's be plugged with crap (when I left the car sitting I ran it out of fuel prior to storing the car). Maybe the factory fuel pump is going bad. The car was set up like the GT with the factory fuel pump moved up front. Car ran fine before storage (actually would flood really easily prior to the storage period). Does someone rebuild the factory pumps as I have an extra that is leaking badly and thought I might re-build it and try that but would rather not just "swap parts".

Any thoughts, Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:00 PM