Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 638 639 640 641 642 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
Jamie
post Apr 4 2020, 08:01 PM
Post #12781

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,939
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 3 2020, 07:11 PM) *

spent a few hours tidying up the engine compartment, installed the new AAR with new hoses and tool a closer look and inspected all the other vac hoses, had to recheck decel valve hose connections, tightened up hose clamps, eliminated a couple small vac leaks then rechecked timing and did a final tune adjustment to MPS i rebuilt, went for test drive,. i am really close, WOT is perfect , part load is just a bit lean i think, so this may go just a bit more rich. it idle is about perfect, no more bucking. it’s ready for a road trip but this shelter at home thing sucks. i just found out i will be on admin leave for 2 weeks, out till now we’ve been working.

next up fix the issue with the relay/LED lights problem.

Make a road trip up here to KY and I'll take you for a tour of Buffalo Trace, if they're still open to the public! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Apr 4 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #12782

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looks great!

QUOTE(kroelofsen @ Apr 4 2020, 11:59 AM) *

Today shot the rear end of my 914 in epoxy primer after applying filler and sanding for many days, major step forward... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
The rear panel and rear part of the floor have been replaced.

+Quote Post
SKL1
post Apr 4 2020, 11:24 PM
Post #12783

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

4 of us took a little ride today in our eclectic group, using proper social distancing of course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 5 2020, 01:04 AM
Post #12784

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Nice variety of automotive engineering assembled there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
DaveO90s4
post Apr 5 2020, 06:24 AM
Post #12785

Member No.: 19,935
Region Association: None

I finally got around to removing the Zenith 40 TIN carbs from my 2.7 L Chev Corvair engine - so as to install longer mounting studs and 4.8mm thick phenolic spacers beneath the carbs.

While carbs are off will also check what jets etc are in it - running much too rich at cruise.

Tempted to put the 34mm venturis back in instead of the recently installed 30mm venturis - so as to reduce air velocity through the venturi and hence lean out the mixture somewhat.

Regards

DaveO
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Apr 5 2020, 08:49 AM
Post #12786

Member No.: 21,596

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Apr 5 2020, 05:24 AM) *

I finally got around to removing the Zenith 40 TIN carbs from my 2.7 L Chev Corvair engine - so as to install longer mounting studs and 4.8mm thick phenolic spacers beneath the carbs.

While carbs are off will also check what jets etc are in it - running much too rich at cruise.

Tempted to put the 34mm venturis back in instead of the recently installed 30mm venturis - so as to reduce air velocity through the venturi and hence lean out the mixture somewhat.

Regards

DaveO

For your comparison, my 2.7 L 911 engine has Webers and O2 sensors (with A/F mixture gauge) in each header for tuning. The carbs have the following: 34 venturi's, 140 mains with 180 air corrections, and 60 idles. A/F's are 12 at idle (800rpm) and range from 12.5 up to 14 under all accelerating and cruising conditions.
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Apr 6 2020, 09:22 AM
Post #12787

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

Got the bumper back on and working on the alignment of the new Spoke fogs... it's kind of strange, the DS side fog seems to be slightly 'back' compared to the PS side, not sure what that's all about, the brackets and mounting surfaces below seem fine.

Attached Image

Then I went for a spirited drive on some back roads before the rain started, going to rain all week here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Apr 6 2020, 04:59 PM
Post #12788

The answer is "no" unless you ask...

Member No.: 19,387
Region Association: North East States

It's been really slow at the shop so I've been tinkering with my '75 Red car. In the past week or so I got the wiring harnesses on, installed a Bosch fuel pump and fuel lines, installed the gas tank, reset the distributor drive gear, installed throttle, clutch and speedo cables, put a battery in and finally got it started today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) Broke in the cam and cleaned up. Done for today!

I've had this car for a little over 4 years and got it in pieces, so It's nice to finally have a running car. Still have a bunch of stuff on the list, but have made some good progress lately. Need to button everything up and see why the idle is so high, then probably move on to the 5 lug conversion, go thru the brakes and put the interior back together. Hopefully It'll be on the road soon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
potomacmidget
post Apr 6 2020, 06:54 PM
Post #12789

I gotta have more cowbell....

Member No.: 12,860

Replaced my frayed clutch cable after reading all the posts on this great forum. Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Apr 6 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #12790

Member No.: 21,449

As I just posted on my 050 Dizzy thread, I got the engine running Sat. night on a static set of timing, but couldn't do a strobe timing of it until almost 5pm tonight, and then couldn't drive it until about 7.

I have a whole new engine! Turns out so many problems I was having were not the carbs at all, but the 009 dizzy - as many have alluded to previously.

My old 62k mile 2.0 is running stronger than I ever dreamed it could, and I am one happy "Teener"......It's not perfect yet, but we are getting close.......

GN
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 6 2020, 07:14 PM
Post #12791

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Apr 6 2020, 09:10 PM) *

As I just posted on my 050 Dizzy thread, I got the engine running Sat. night on a static set of timing, but couldn't do a strobe timing of it until almost 5pm tonight, and then couldn't drive it until about 7.

I have a whole new engine! Turns out so many problems I was having were not the carbs at all, but the 009 dizzy - as many have alluded to previously.

My old 62k mile 2.0 is running stronger than I ever dreamed it could, and I am one happy "Teener"......It's not perfect yet, but we are getting close.......

GN

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

awesome !! cool!! way to go!!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 6 2020, 07:16 PM
Post #12792

Dr. Phil

i did a few things!!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 6 2020, 07:17 PM
Post #12793

Dr. Phil

i did a few things!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
brant
post Apr 7 2020, 08:49 AM
Post #12794

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I was able to build a spare set of pedals

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Apr 7 2020, 07:50 PM
Post #12795

Brant -

Looking great....spare?

BTW, good place for me to ask: does anyone make a longer clutch pedal? One with a longer rod?

I am really short, with even shorter legs (if any shorter, they wouldn't reach the ground)....I have no problem with seat 1/2 way back reaching brake or accel pedals, but clutch is just too far away & makes me pull the seat to far forward for comfort - and I have it backed out on the threads as far as I dare go with it......

It not, I may just weld a 2" section in the existing rod......or an adjustable section.....1" might be enough.....

Or even easier, I may use a coupling nut to connect the existing clutch rod with a bolt inserted in the clutch pedal mount from the bottom/rear - if I can find one in the same metric thread.....

GN

QUOTE(brant @ Apr 7 2020, 08:49 AM) *

I was able to build a spare set of pedals
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Apr 8 2020, 04:36 PM
Post #12796

Another slow day, so I attempted to bleed the brake system. Found p/s rear steel line flared incorrectly (leaking). So I made a new one and installed it. Continued on to the driver side rear and no fluid... Looked a little further and found the flex hose to be collapsed inside. Both rear hoses were replaced and are dated 2010, so i ordered both rear hoses for tomorrow.
+Quote Post
JOEPROPER
post Apr 8 2020, 04:38 PM
Post #12797

BTW, this is what we use to bleed and flush brake hydraulic systems. Attached Image
Works great every time! BG PF7. One man job.
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Apr 8 2020, 07:08 PM
Post #12798

Took my girlfriend of 47 years out for an ice cream date after supper tonight with about 20 miles of twisties each way to get there........

We just love dates in the 914 - she's running really strong but needs just a bit more tuning....but gotta adjust the valves first......

But we just did a totally spontaneous Saturday date in the Blue Ridge Mtns. in the Cayman S, 200 miles of bright sunny warm mountain views & turns.......

We are so blessed with 2 mid-engine Porsche's, and can't decide which is more fun.......

GN
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Apr 8 2020, 07:21 PM
Post #12799

Dr. Phil

QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Apr 8 2020, 09:08 PM) *

Took my girlfriend of 47 years out for an ice cream date after supper tonight with about 20 miles of twisties each way to get there........

We just love dates in the 914 - she's running really strong but needs just a bit more tuning....but gotta adjust the valves first......

But we just did a totally spontaneous Saturday date in the Blue Ridge Mtns. in the Cayman S, 200 miles of bright sunny warm mountain views & turns.......

We are so blessed with 2 mid-engine Porsche's, and can't decide which is more fun.......

GN

i am sure for the 200 mile trip the Cayman is best of both worlds, but if you are going for 50 mile drive in the mountains on the twisties the 914 has to be the way to go!! nice problem to have- been kind of looking at Caymans too, but that means getting rid of my Maserati, not sure i am ready to do that yet.
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Apr 8 2020, 07:25 PM
Post #12800

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611

Roughed in the uprights for the rear wing on AR-14. All of these parts need deburing a finishing.

Attached Image

It is just sitting there as none of the bracketing is done yet.
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 638 639 640 641 642 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
11 User(s) are reading this topic (9 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
2 Members: Jett, ndfrigi

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:37 PM