Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 671 672 673 674 675 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
eric9144
post Sep 15 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #13441

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

Celebrated 914 on 9/12 with a drive on the local twisties.
This is the upper half of Mt Palomar's East grade, super fun road, pretty much cruising in 3rd gear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VeaQ9AmgE8
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Army Roger
post Sep 16 2020, 01:26 PM
Post #13442

Member No.: 24,695
Region Association: Germany

After joining 914World two days ago which energized me, I pushed out my 914 from garage and took inventory. Also found a set of rear 5 lug 911 hubs locally and went to pick them up. I'll call it a good day. Cheers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Army Roger
post Sep 16 2020, 01:34 PM
Post #13443

Also ran across this last week three villages over from my place. I think it's called a Kershner Wide Body only offered here in Germany by that Tuning company. Too radical for me but if someone is interested, I'll establish the contact with the German guy and then back away. Shipping from Deutschland to USA is about $2200 (Transglobal). It has a 2.0 4 banger Fuel injection, Some rust. Guy said something about 15K Euro.

Car is in Germany close to my house near Frankfurt

That's what I did last week!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 16 2020, 05:42 PM
Post #13444

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Took it for a nice little ride to Salinas to look at a horse trailer with my cousin. 200 mile round trip and the car ran and rode perfectly. My cousin, who is a total gear-head, car-freak like me, loved it. Here it is parked in the driveway where we went. It just looked pretty sitting there so I snapped a pic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jett
post Sep 16 2020, 09:11 PM
Post #13445

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 16 2020, 04:42 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Took it for a nice little ride to Salinas to look at a horse trailer with my cousin. 200 mile round trip and the car ran and rode perfectly. My cousin, who is a total gear-head, car-freak like me, loved it. Here it is parked in the driveway where we went. I just looked pretty sitting there so I snapped a pic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

You know that I am in love with your car? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Army Roger
post Sep 16 2020, 10:59 PM
Post #13446

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 17 2020, 01:42 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Took it for a nice little ride to Salinas to look at a horse trailer with my cousin. 200 mile round trip and the car ran and rode perfectly. My cousin, who is a total gear-head, car-freak like me, loved it. Here it is parked in the driveway where we went. I just looked pretty sitting there so I snapped a pic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image

Is that haze in the back-ground from all the wild fires?
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Sep 17 2020, 02:15 AM
Post #13447

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

a lot of cleaning and grinding

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 17 2020, 05:36 AM
Post #13448

Michael

Thanks @Jett . @Army Roger that is not smoke it was actually early morning fog that burned off while we were looking at the trailer. But given the way CA has been for the last 2 weeks, one would expect smoke.
+Quote Post
Army Roger
post Sep 17 2020, 08:59 AM
Post #13449

Broke a good German tool today. 1/2 inch breaker-bar, but finally got the 30MM rear hub nut off. Heat cycles, liquid wrench and my impact gun did the trick. I won today!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Sep 19 2020, 07:48 AM
Post #13450

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Army Roger @ Sep 17 2020, 10:59 AM) *

Broke a good German tool today. 1/2 inch breaker-bar, but finally got the 30MM rear hub nut off. Heat cycles, liquid wrench and my impact gun did the trick. I won today!

@Army Roger
nice looking projects there! cool hot rod, whats the power plant?
heard that we were pulling ops out of DE due to Germany not wanting to contribute to costs of operations , is that sending you home as a result? just curious, i work on the MCAS Beaufort SC(medical side) and hear stuff sometimes.
anyway if you are getting going on this 914 project you should start a new build thread dedicated to it, goof way to document all you work in one place.
Cheats!
Phil
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 19 2020, 07:56 AM
Post #13451

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
I always feel my impact gun is a lot easier on the part and the tools than breaker bars. I've also learned not to be shy with the heat.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Sep 19 2020, 10:50 AM
Post #13452

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Changed the oil, air filter and brake fluid.

Ready for Teenerpaluza . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Army Roger
post Sep 19 2020, 01:20 PM
Post #13453

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 19 2020, 03:48 PM) *

@Army Roger
nice looking projects there! cool hot rod, whats the power plant?
heard that we were pulling ops out of DE due to Germany not wanting to contribute to costs of operations , is that sending you home as a result? just curious, i work on the MCAS Beaufort SC(medical side) and hear stuff sometimes.
anyway if you are getting going on this 914 project you should start a new build thread dedicated to it, goof way to document all you work in one place.
Cheats!
Phil

Phil, United States Army Europe (USAREUR) will stay here in Germany for a long time. They are talking about moving 2nd CAV REG to Romania and the inbound V Corps to Poland. Won't impact me personally plus I'm about two or three years away for retirement the second time. The upcoming election will drive most of these decisions.

The 30 Ford Coupe has a BMW V12 from a 750i. Bought the donor car fpr 200 Euros in the local junk yard and converted to 4 Rochesters 2Gs plus Chevy HEI ignition. I've been touring Europe with it for 9 years now with the A/C blowing cold and the music playing. There is a YouTube video of me and the car running down Autobahn 45 at 135MPH +.

Roger
+Quote Post
Army Roger
post Sep 19 2020, 01:29 PM
Post #13454

Swing arms back from the blaster today along with other project parts. Cleaned up all the factory weld splatters and then welded some re-enforcment beads. Then off to my "nature" paint booth with some 2K eBay 2K paint. A good day......

And pressed out the old bushings today.......

Bonus points.....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
markhoward
post Sep 19 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #13455

Member No.: 20,897

Technically a day or so ago but ditched the crossbar throttle linkage for a Tangerine cable setup. No brainer upgrade.. so much smoother and perfect drop to idle. While at it, installed a hand throttle which was a ‘car warming’ gift from @buddyV . Since 58 has no heat, modded the hand throttle to go in the heater position so a rennshift can be installed without having to hack it up.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 20 2020, 06:44 AM
Post #13456

Michael

@markhoward Nice work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Sep 20 2020, 07:19 AM
Post #13457

Michael

Technically it was Friday & Saturday....

My brother and I drive down to Fullerton on Friday and Jeff at Aase did a valve adjustment and of course an oil/filter since it was already up in the air. He also replaced my oil temperature sender as the one in my car was for an SC. Now my oil temperature is reading spot-on. As expected, with a little over 1K miles on the car, we had some loose valves. 4 exhaust were at 6 and 5 intakes were at 6. Now they are all back to 4 and the engine is running and sound great. Thanks Jeff.

Then on Saturday, the Justice League, (Jim, Kent and Bob (sorry, no Andy)) connected my heater flappers, installed the excellent rear tow hooks from Rick at @914Werke and then we did a couple other little things. If you look closely you can just see the back part of the tow hook attached and we are popping the sway bar end link back on to the ball on the shock bolt.

A big thank you to Bob for tackling one of my requests - I wanted my fogs to serve as daytime running lights. So he wired them so when the key is on, I can turn the fogs on with nothing else or just leave them off. Also, they will not not turn off when I switch to high beam, which was also something I requested. They now work as I wanted and given the knuckle heads in CA driving while texting and taking selfies, I thought the fogs would maybe help catch their eye.

Then at about 4:00 PM my brother and I headed back to the Bay Area. We stopped off at Harris Ranch for a nice BBQ tri-tip sandwich and arrived home at about 10:00 PM. We did the trip down and the trip back in about 5.5 hours each way if you factor out the 30 minutes BBQ stop. We were well in excess of the posted on both trips.

The car runs and rides great. The engine is loud so I had brought some soft ear plugs and that made a huge difference- the ride was quite comfortable. Funny, I do not recall my last 2 Sixes being that loud when driving. Guess as I get old my hearing changes.

Regardless, we had a great time with some great guys who know what they are doing. It is always a blast to go down and hang out with them. I was so fortunate Jim reached out to me back in early 2017 about my stalled and failing project. I would never have had a car like this without their intervention. Thank you Jim for giving me my dream car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

How many people can you fit under a 914-6? Well, apparently 3 is a good start. I am the one in the blue shirt getting "spooned" by Kent. I actually cropped the picture because I did not want to trigger a censorship problem. Jim may have nodded off. (kidding. He is actually doing the heater flappers) and Bob is dealing with the foglight modification.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
markhoward
post Sep 20 2020, 09:06 AM
Post #13458

Member No.: 20,897

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 20 2020, 06:19 AM) *

Technically it was Friday & Saturday....

My brother and I drive down to Fullerton on Friday and Jeff at Aase did a valve adjustment and of course an oil/filter since it was already up in the air. He also replaced my oil temperature sender as the one in my car was for an SC. Now my oil temperature is reading spot-on. As expected, with a little over 1K miles on the car, we had some loose valves. 4 exhaust were at 6 and 5 intakes were at 6. Now they are all back to 4 and the engine is running and sound great. Thanks Jeff.

Then on Saturday, the Justice League, (Jim, Kent and Bob (sorry, no Andy)) connected my heater flappers, installed the excellent rear tow hooks from Rick at @914Werke and then we did a couple other little things. If you look closely you can just see the back part of the tow hook attached and we are popping the sway bar end link back on to the ball on the shock bolt.

A big thank you to Bob for tackling one of my requests - I wanted my fogs to serve as daytime running lights. So he wired them so when the key is on, I can turn the fogs on with nothing else or just leave them off. Also, they will not not turn off when I switch to high beam, which was also something I requested. They now work as I wanted and given the knuckle heads in CA driving while texting and taking selfies, I thought the fogs would maybe help catch their eye.

Then at about 4:00 PM my brother and I headed back to the Bay Area. We stopped off at Harris Ranch for a nice BBQ tri-tip sandwich and arrived home at about 10:00 PM. We did the trip down and the trip back in about 5.5 hours each way if you factor out the 30 minutes BBQ stop. We were well in excess of the posted on both trips.

The car runs and rides great. The engine is loud so I had brought some soft ear plugs and that made a huge difference- the ride was quite comfortable. Funny, I do not recall my last 2 Sixes being that loud when driving. Guess as I get old my hearing changes.

Regardless, we had a great time with some great guys who know what they are doing. It is always a blast to go down and hang out with them. I was so fortunate Jim reached out to me back in early 2017 about my stalled and failing project. I would never have had a car like this without their intervention. Thank you Jim for giving me my dream car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

How many people can you fit under a 914-6? Well, apparently 3 is a good start. I am the one in the blue shirt getting "spooned" by Kent. I actually cropped the picture because I did not want to trigger a censorship problem. Jim may have nodded off. (kidding. He is actually doing the heater flappers) and Bob is dealing with the foglight modification.

That's some serious teamwork in effect!
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 20 2020, 12:25 PM
Post #13459

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Costa05
post Sep 20 2020, 01:50 PM
Post #13460

Member No.: 20,535
Region Association: Southwest Region

Finished up passenger door panel. Almost done with driver side. Lots of hours into them. Replaced original inside door pulls (broken) with new loop style. Not an easy task either.
Attached Image
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 671 672 673 674 675 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
7 User(s) are reading this topic (6 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: DRPHIL914

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:59 AM