Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

841 Pages V « < 741 742 743 744 745 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
9146C
post Oct 4 2021, 12:48 PM
Post #14841

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,460
Region Association: None

From the "I should've known better" archives...

When I re-assembled my car, I relocated the fuel pump to the steering rack area. Not thinking this through clearly, it turns out that after a few months, the fuel lines have "softened up" just enough.

Last Thursday night, I thought I'd go for an evening drive...got about 2-3 miles from home and the car died...no fuel to the carbs.

Turns out the suction side of the pump was "collapsing" the Gates fuel line and starving the pump.

Luckily, I was able to walk home and pick up my truck/trailer and get the car back home.

Today, I made up SS tubing for both the suction and pressure sides of the pump. All is well.

Lesson learned! (Or was it my car's way of telling me I needed more exercise?)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
eric9144
post Oct 4 2021, 04:14 PM
Post #14842

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Sep 30 2021, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Sep 27 2021, 06:22 PM) *

Bittersweet weekend, sold my /4 that I've owned for 23 years and went and dropped it off to it's new owner. Since I've had the big six I just wasn't driving it enough, it needed to move onto a new home. Nice to have some garage space back to get projects done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
I guess I'll need to change my avitar pic now, I'm a one 914 guy now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

I want to ask about your trailer. Is it a tilt bed? What length is it? We want to upgrade our trailer to an aluminum one, and are looking for recommendations.

Clay

@ClayPerrine Yes it's a tilt, it's an Aluma 8216, overall length is close to 21' I think (without going and measuring, the 'tilt' portion is the 16, only needed a couple 2x4's laid down to get the front valence to clear easily...less glamorous pic from when I was loading it up, if you look closely you can see the 2.4's:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
L-Jet914
post Oct 5 2021, 10:27 PM
Post #14843

Member No.: 15,080
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Jett @ Aug 1 2021, 07:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 1 2021, 06:34 AM) *

@Jett Wow! That is a beautiful 914. Very very nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks!! After a few long drives and a year of tweaking, the car drives better than new and with the BlueTooth attached to the DIM even the music is pretty good.

Here are a couple of more shots.

Looking at the picture we are going to replace the first gen 914 rubber visors with an NOS set.

I didn't know the late model 914's horns were externally mounted. Was it due to the large bumpers that were added MY 75 and MY 76?
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 6 2021, 07:08 AM
Post #14844

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Oct 6 2021, 12:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Aug 1 2021, 07:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Aug 1 2021, 06:34 AM) *

@Jett Wow! That is a beautiful 914. Very very nice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thanks!! After a few long drives and a year of tweaking, the car drives better than new and with the BlueTooth attached to the DIM even the music is pretty good.

Here are a couple of more shots.

Looking at the picture we are going to replace the first gen 914 rubber visors with an NOS set.

I didn't know the late model 914's horns were externally mounted. Was it due to the large bumpers that were added MY 75 and MY 76?

That would be my guess , with the big metal bumpers there was no room for them on front. i backdated my bumpers and relocated my new horns to the earlier location , i could have left them underneath but one of the tabs was damaged.
+Quote Post
lesorubcheek
post Oct 6 2021, 11:32 AM
Post #14845

Member No.: 25,463
Region Association: South East States

Not working on the car yet, but after reading @Luke M 's thread about modding a wiring harness, decided to print out the schematic for a starting point for mods we're planning to make. Next step is to start comparing sections with the 911 harness and decide where things will cut/splice together.
Attached Image

Dan
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Oct 6 2021, 11:52 AM
Post #14846

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Facet pumps can be problematic. That's a lot of hose clamps. To change the filter you'll have to drop the gravel guard.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Oct 6 2021, 07:24 PM
Post #14847

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(9146C @ Oct 4 2021, 12:48 PM) *

When I re-assembled my car, I relocated the fuel pump to the steering rack area. Not thinking this through clearly, it turns out that after a few months, the fuel lines have "softened up" just enough.

Last Thursday night, I thought I'd go for an evening drive...got about 2-3 miles from home and the car died...no fuel to the carbs.

Turns out the suction side of the pump was "collapsing" the Gates fuel line and starving the pump.

Just thinking out loud here, but the suction side of the pump collapsing the hose suggests blockage somewhere in the supply line. How old is the strainer sock in the tank?
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 6 2021, 09:24 PM
Post #14848

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Did some mods to the stock tail light buckets...they were kinda trashed anyway so I didn't destroy pristine parts. But now I can change bulbs lots easier!
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Front yard mechanic
post Oct 7 2021, 06:52 AM
Post #14849

Member No.: 18,984

QUOTE(9146C @ Oct 4 2021, 10:48 AM) *

Luckily, I was able to walk home and pick up my truck/trailer and get the car back home.

Today, I made up SS tubing for both the suction and pressure sides of the pump. All is well.

Lesson learned! (Or was it my car's way of telling me I needed more exercise?)

I don't know you went from 4 hose clamps to 16 with a few zip ties thrown in for good measure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
9146C
post Oct 7 2021, 06:57 AM
Post #14850

Member No.: 23,460

QUOTE(bbrock @ Oct 6 2021, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(9146C @ Oct 4 2021, 12:48 PM) *

Just thinking out loud here, but the suction side of the pump collapsing the hose suggests blockage somewhere in the supply line. How old is the strainer sock in the tank?

Brent: Thanks for the feedback...and a very good thought! The internal strainer was also replaced when I rebuilt the car (within the last 6 months). The fuel tank was very clean when I pulled/inspected it.

In the top photo I posted, you can see where the suction hose was collapsing/kinking on the bend near the top of the photo.

I'm thinking that the aftermarket fuel pump I installed may be a little oversized at 15 gph max capacity. Doing some ballpark calculations, it looks like pump capacity needs to be theoretically about 4-5 gph (without recirculation).

Assumptions:

- 20 mpg fuel consumption
- 16 gallon fuel capacity

Assuming a speed rate of 80 mph, the tank would have a theoretical 4 hour capacity ((20 x 16)/80).

Therefore, "burning" 16 gallons in 4 hours would be a 4 gph fuel consumption rate.

(Even if fuel economy is only 15 mpg, rate would only increase to 5 gph.)

There was a previous comment also about the number of hose clamps in the second photo...I did double up on the pressure side. Psychological peace of mind. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Oct 7 2021, 08:48 PM
Post #14851

Member No.: 19,389
Region Association: North East States

Pulled the instruments to get at the speedo cable. It recently started making terrible noises (behind the dash) and bouncing all over the place. Lubed it with triflow and spun the cable with a drill to try to get it down into the tube. Will see if the banshee is silenced this weekend. If not, time for a new cable.

Also looked over the illumination wiring on all the units as not all lights are working. Planning to upgrade to LEDs but need to figure out why the current turn signal, high beams, etc. lights are not working. Gave myself a headache studying the current flow diagram but have some ideas on how to proceed.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Oct 10 2021, 01:36 PM
Post #14852

Member No.: 24,781

Attached Image

Finally got the nerve up to start on the bilstein’s
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) God don’t let me screw up
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 10 2021, 11:15 PM
Post #14853

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 10 2021, 01:36 PM) *

Attached Image

How far up are you moving the spindle?
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Oct 10 2021, 11:21 PM
Post #14854

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nothing,but I watched the F1 race this AM, and the roval race this afternoon, and watched my Packers almost lose...
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Oct 11 2021, 12:03 AM
Post #14855

Member No.: 24,781

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 10 2021, 10:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Oct 10 2021, 01:36 PM) *

Attached Image

How far up are you moving the spindle?

Plan was 40 mm
+Quote Post
whiterabbit
post Oct 11 2021, 12:36 PM
Post #14856

Rust Saver

Member No.: 24,014

I whipped up a new pair of door cards and red leather pulls this weekend. Then I took her out for a spin!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Oct 12 2021, 01:17 PM
Post #14857

Member No.: 12,732

Weather here spectacular so took both for a ride. Awaiting the shift adjuster from Chris (Tangerine) as after much struggling, still only getting 1st thru 3rd on the '71... and yes, I've read all the threads on linkage, and have had no issues on the '73.

Nothing like a 914 with the top off when it's in the 60's!!!
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 12 2021, 03:24 PM
Post #14858

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Thanks to my friend Adrian Gang, was referred to a shop that has a Celette Bench and has access to 914 fixtures up in Van Nuys, CA.

Now, need to rent a U-Haul trailer and transport HOWARD up there for an evaluation & estimate to repair the damage incurred last December ... my V-nose is currently is in AZ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Oct 14 2021, 06:43 PM
Post #14859

Member No.: 19,389
Region Association: North East States

Replaced the dash indicator lights with LED. Before and after shots of the high beam light below. Could not really even see it before …

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Oct 15 2021, 05:24 AM
Post #14860

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Installed my new 123-Electronic Distributor and very happy with results. Good idle speed @ 1K and upper RPM's runs smooth.
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

841 Pages V « < 741 742 743 744 745 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:18 AM