Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

841 Pages V « < 747 748 749 750 751 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
Shivers
post Dec 6 2021, 11:06 AM
Post #14961

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

I got a set of used shocks, thanks @Literati914 , good shape but needed some cleaning up. Cleaners wouldn't even do it, so I sanded the paint with 1200 grit, used high gloss stick compound and the polishing machine. Still has chips I'll tough up but it's shiny. The peds needed a new coating, so I used exhaust aluminized silver paint, baked at 225* for 15 minutes. Ends up like powder coat. One step closer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Dec 6 2021, 04:07 PM
Post #14962

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

I had few extra minutes today I decided to take a deeper look at the hell hole on my project car... I got a chuckle out of the PO repairs.

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Dec 6 2021, 05:35 PM
Post #14963

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 6 2021, 05:07 PM) *

I had few extra minutes today I decided to take a deeper look at the hell hole on my project car... I got a chuckle out of the PO repairs.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Hey,....if you're not gonna fix it correctly, you might as well use the least amount of effort humanly possible. Bonus points for using the speed limit sign patch panel.

+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Dec 7 2021, 11:19 PM
Post #14964

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Made my first night time drive with the new 914Rubber LED Headlights. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) WOW !!! The improvement over stock is astronomical. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Attached Image

If you are even thinking about this upgrade for your car . . . . . DO IT.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Dec 8 2021, 02:07 AM
Post #14965

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Dec 6 2021, 04:07 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

pisser. too good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
cali914
post Dec 9 2021, 09:18 AM
Post #14966

cali914

Member No.: 5,934
Region Association: Northern California

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gatornapper
post Dec 9 2021, 10:15 AM
Post #14967

Member No.: 21,449
Region Association: South East States

SUPER BUMMER! Thought burnt rotor resistor from MSD was my problem and new rotor would fix it.

Not so. Put in new rotor, thought all would be well. Got 914 started, took out, still not running well, pulled in garage and now it will not start. Spark? Check. Fuel? Check. Backfiring OR worse - sudden engine lock-up/seizure on trying to start! Never in life seen this. Like timing has jumped - but, dizzy is tight and right where it ought to be.

Especially strange since this engine w/MSD is the easiest to start engine I've ever had in any vehicle in my long, old life.

Any ideas in brain-trust as to what's going on?

Checking compression today or tomorrow......it is time for valve adjustment.

BUT car was running perfectly before rotor failure......

GN
+Quote Post
krisnbran1
post Dec 11 2021, 04:05 PM
Post #14968

Member No.: 25,910
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Replaced the driver's exterior door handle today! The old one was cracked about halfway through and I was just waiting for it to snap off in my fingers one day. Glad to have avoided the gymnastics of having to climb through the passenger side to open the door, lol! Lubed up the lock mechanisms and window hardware while I had the door panel off and everything works much smoother now. Even addressed a rattle that has been bugging me! I just wish it wasn't in the 30's and "snraining" out today, or I'd take it out for a test drive. Hope you're all doing well and happy holidays!
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Dec 11 2021, 07:47 PM
Post #14969

Member No.: 21,628

Buttoned up a few little things - zip tied wires and finished the Dakota Digital CHT gauge install and then actually went for a DRIVE!! Pretty rare to be able to do that in SE Indiana on the 11th of December.
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Dec 13 2021, 08:27 AM
Post #14970

Member No.: 17,299

Finished rebuilding dual Dells. As usual, found nothing wrong with them, but every two years(ish) they decide to run as if a float is stuck. So, I service them. Very easy job, so I don't mind.

Attached Image

Reinstalled onto the car, idle adjusted and synchronized (with the terrible hex bar linkage!). Running so sweetly now!
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Dec 18 2021, 12:14 AM
Post #14971

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

Put wiper arms and blades on it and drover her! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

I am working on going back to the office once a week.
So drove from home office to corporate office today, literally.
My home office is getting new floors and so my current home office is the garage next to my 914. The garage s a little chilly but not bad.
The drive to & from work was pretty cold, I have a header and no heat.
And I learned the headlight motors don't work right now so I got to stop and crank them up by hand, I'll check them tomorrow.

Jim
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Dec 18 2021, 06:14 PM
Post #14972

Member No.: 19,389
Region Association: North East States

Still chasing the elusive firm brake pedal. Made some progress with a round of pressure flushing and cracking the connections to the proportioning valve followed by the buddy-stomp-on-the-pedal approach. It was not quite there so tonight did another few rounds with pressure. Not sure it made a difference. May try more stomping tomorrow ...
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Dec 18 2021, 06:25 PM
Post #14973

Member No.: 24,781

QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Dec 18 2021, 04:14 PM) *

Still chasing the elusive firm brake pedal. Made some progress with a round of pressure flushing and cracking the connections to the proportioning valve followed by the buddy-stomp-on-the-pedal approach. It was not quite there so tonight did another few rounds with pressure. Not sure it made a difference. May try more stomping tomorrow ...

@Chaznaster

Are all your bleeder nipples at the top of the calipers? Had to ask
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Dec 20 2021, 11:56 AM
Post #14974

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481

Changing a 1157 bulb is as close as I will come to hanging Christmas lights this year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/santa_smiley.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Dec 20 2021, 12:15 PM
Post #14975

QUOTE(Shivers @ Dec 18 2021, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Chaznaster @ Dec 18 2021, 04:14 PM) *

@Chaznaster

Are all your bleeder nipples at the top of the calipers? Had to ask

@shivers All at the top (and some at the bottom as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif))!

I am starting to think that the long pedal push before braking (2/3 travel) might be remedied by adjusting the piston attached to the brake pedal. Thinking this because once you get there the brakes work fine and no amount of pumping will change where they engage. That and because I have put a gallon of fluid through the system ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
MedFly914
post Dec 20 2021, 12:44 PM
Post #14976

Member No.: 24,478

installed my white lenses.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chaznaster
post Dec 21 2021, 06:27 PM
Post #14977

Got the parking brake warning light to work - flashes red when the brake is on and key turned. Had to splice on to the original wire to lengthen it and installed a new switch. Have had the switch around for some time and finally found a spare 20min to deal with it. Box checked!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 22 2021, 09:23 AM
Post #14978

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

So, we finally got the stock shifter in the car with the hand throttle. After looking at the RennShifter in the car I just really wanted to go back to the stock shifter so it looks original. The funny thing is we addressed the shifting issues I was having and it was all in the rear shifter rod assemble that was all F'ed up. I have a new custom shift rod in there now and it is a world of difference. In fact the RennShifter shifted so nice it was very difficult for me to pull it out.

So...I am going to hang on to the RennShifter for a while longer until I absolutely decide the stock shifter remains in the car. I am 90% there. The issue is the LONG throw on the stock shifter after driving it with the RennShifter. That is compounded by the full right shoulder replacement surgery I had on 10/25. But I am looking for a Weltmeister short-shift kit to use with the stock shifter to see if that makes a difference. I already posted a WTB in the Classifieds.

I continue to address little issues that will make the car even better. We adjusted the throttle and clutch cable so they are now smooth and there are no hard bends where it exits the firewall.

Oh, my passenger door will not open now from the inside or the outside.... I had all of the locks completely rebuilt and rekeyed before the car was assembled by one of our members. The passenger side would never lock with the key- it turned about a 1/4 of the way but was tight so I never forced it and never locked the car as I don't leave it anywhere. Well when I had it flat bedded to my new home, post-surgery as I could not drive, the tow truck driver apparently locked the door and now we can't open it. So I guess I will have to try to remove the passenger door panel with the door closed so I can access the lock mechanism and open to door. It is always something, right?

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Jett
post Dec 22 2021, 09:33 AM
Post #14979

Member No.: 17,686

QUOTE(MedFly914 @ Dec 20 2021, 10:44 AM) *

installed my white lenses.

I don’t usually like the Italian lenses but these looks great on your car!
+Quote Post
Jett
post Dec 22 2021, 09:43 AM
Post #14980

Member No.: 17,686

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 22 2021, 07:23 AM) *

So, we finally got the stock shifter in the car with the hand throttle. After looking at the RennShifter in the car I just really wanted to go back to the stock shifter so it looks original. The funny thing is we addressed the shifting issues I was having and it was all in the rear shifter rod assemble that was all F'ed up. I have a new custom shift rod in there now and it is a world of difference. In fact the RennShifter shifted so nice it was very difficult for me to pull it out.

So...I am going to hang on to the RennShifter for a while longer until I absolutely decide the stock shifter remains in the car. I am 90% there. The issue is the LONG throw on the stock shifter after driving it with the RennShifter. That is compounded by the full right shoulder replacement surgery I had on 10/25. But I am looking for a Weltmeister short-shift kit to use with the stock shifter to see if that makes a difference. I already posted a WTB in the Classifieds.

I continue to address little issues that will make the car even better. We adjusted the throttle and clutch cable so they are now smooth and there are no hard bends where it exits the firewall.

Oh, my passenger door will not open now from the inside or the outside.... I had all of the locks completely rebuilt and rekeyed before the car was assembled by one of our members. The passenger side would never lock with the key- it turned about a 1/4 of the way but was tight so I never forced it and never locked the car as I don't leave it anywhere. Well when I had it flat bedded to my new home, post-surgery as I could not drive, the tow truck driver apparently locked the door and now we can't open it. So I guess I will have to try to remove the passenger door panel with the door closed so I can access the lock mechanism and open to door. It is always something, right?

Attached Image

Thanks for sharing the info. We wanted a better shift but a stock look, so we had the transmission fully rebuilt along with all shifter bushings, and it’s perfect. That said, we did get a short shifter in some parts we bought a few years ago… I will dig through it and add some pics in case you might need it.
+Quote Post

841 Pages V « < 747 748 749 750 751 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: anderssj

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:52 AM