Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> what did you do to your 914 today
mrbubblehead
post Dec 17 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #1

Twodollardoug

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

i just wanted to start a thread to see what you guys do day to day on your cars.

i'll start,

about a month ago, i pulled my engine and trans to put in a new clutch. had the flywheel lightened and resurfaced. but what i didnt know is that i had to shim the little ball that the clutch arm rides on, after a resurfacing. so guess what i did today?

yup, pulled the trans and put an extra washer under the ball. you have to goop up both washers to get it to seal because the threaded hole goes all the way thru to the inside of the trans. i also replaced the plastic cup that the ball rides in. the throwout bearing and its little plastic blocks were fine so i buttoned every thing back up. 5 hours total. i think this has been the cheapest repair yet on my car. $2.75 for the little plastic cup.

what did you do to your 914 today?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
843 Pages V « < 288 289 290 291 292 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(5780 - 5799)
euro911
post Apr 12 2015, 10:29 PM
Post #5781

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Went to the shop to get some pix of a bunch of other VW parts I want to sell (on the Samba site).

However, I do have one REAL Porsche part to sell … a Pre-A 356 transaxle housing that I'll probably post on the Bird board (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Apr 12 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #5782

Member No.: 8,920
Region Association: South East States

Thats not a pre-A trans housing. ITs a 741 case which is the later B's and C's. Pre-A's had a split case trans like the early VW's.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 13 2015, 12:31 AM
Post #5783

Oh darn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) … I don't know much about 356 tranaxles.

Interesting though, it was Harry Pellow who told me it was a Pre-A box (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Just did a search, and found this: "Part #: 741.301.101.10 Type: 741/0C Case will fit model years 1960 thru 1965"
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Apr 13 2015, 03:49 AM
Post #5784

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Maybe you can sell it to the boys down the road from our shindig at WCR- isn't there a 356 gathering going on the same weekend in Cambria? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
jfort
post Apr 13 2015, 09:19 AM
Post #5785

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

got it out of winter storage. Patrick MS shifter really changes the feel. much more precise and solid feeling. can't wait to get the top off and drive it more.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Apr 13 2015, 12:07 PM
Post #5786

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

Picked up my suspension parts from the powder coaters. I went with a metallic gray... called Glimmer #7

I like it .

Now I just have to get the body finished

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 13 2015, 12:22 PM
Post #5787

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) … very nice.

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Apr 13 2015, 02:49 AM) *
Maybe you can sell it to the boys down the road from our shindig at WCR- isn't there a 356 gathering going on the same weekend in Cambria? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
Hmmm … not a bad idea - I'll mention that in my Pelican ad. Thanks for the suggestion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I checked other for sale ads and have it posted on the Samba now. Looks like they're selling for a lot more than what I paid for it 30 years ago (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) … Glad I didn't cut it up for an engine run stand (which is why I originally bought it) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
Starlack
post Apr 13 2015, 01:44 PM
Post #5788

Member No.: 13,978
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Porsche930dude @ Apr 12 2015, 02:22 PM) *

Took it out of winter hibernation and cleaned it up. I have a few extra tops so I painted one checkerd and tried it on. I probrobly wouldnt run it all the time but it looks good if the mood is right. Now iv got to figure out why its not charging

Hello
Very nice roof. I have the same roof for 16 years to my 914.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Porsche930dude
post Apr 13 2015, 02:31 PM
Post #5789

Member No.: 13,819
Region Association: None

Cool Starlack It was probrobly youre car that I saw a pic of and decided It could look good. Im probrobly not going to put the car on the road his year though so i wont get to show it off. But I did fix the charging problem it was the points in the voltage regulator I sanded them and back in buisness.
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Apr 13 2015, 06:25 PM
Post #5790

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)

Drove the VA Colonial Parkway "historic triangle" (Yorktown-Williamsburg-Jamestown) this AM, plus just enough extra to roll the odometer over 237,000 miles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

+Quote Post
Alphaogre
post Apr 13 2015, 11:12 PM
Post #5791

Member No.: 14,487

QUOTE(Starlack @ Apr 13 2015, 12:44 PM) *

Took it out of winter hibernation and cleaned it up. I have a few extra tops so I painted one checkerd and tried it on. I probrobly wouldnt run it all the time but it looks good if the mood is right. Now iv got to figure out why its not charging

Hello

Attached Image

What is that hose set up in the engin bay? Heaters are under the tin...Some kind of AC?
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Apr 13 2015, 11:34 PM
Post #5792

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Apr 13 2015, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Starlack @ Apr 13 2015, 12:44 PM) *

Hello

What is that hose set up in the engin bay? Heaters are under the tin...Some kind of AC?

I believed that tube from auxiliary heater fan to passenger side heat exchanger to push air going to passenger side vent.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Apr 14 2015, 06:03 PM
Post #5793

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I drove the hell out of it today!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Apr 14 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #5794

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I don't think I've posted in this thread before, but I did something today so quick and simple I just had to tell the world. I turned the throttle body idle adjustment screw clockwise on my 1.8 FI and brought the idle speed down to a proper level.

Man, was that satisfying! I feel like a regular mechanic.

Paul
+Quote Post
993inNC
post Apr 14 2015, 07:18 PM
Post #5795

Member No.: 10,676
Region Association: South East States

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's funny. Congrats! I too had a small (albeit larger than your task) task to handle. It turned out well and I'm pleased.

Took my 71 out for a nice afternoon cruise to Harbor Freight only to find I couldn't get into 4/5 and all others were hard to find too. Knew the stick bushing was gone from when I bought the car. My temporary electrical tape "bushing" decided to no longer be of help, so I bought and installed a new bushing. While I was in there, I reused and "McGiver'd" the large shift rod pivot bushing. And finally, the same bushing at the tail of the tranny was basically gone so that location got a new bushing as well as the cover box being cleaned of sludge etc. Now the shifting is tight, 4/5 are back and it feels like a new(er) car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) So happy when the little things go so easily!!
Now if I could get the little beater to stop leaking oil from everywhere and quit leaving piddle puddles on my floor, I'd be really happy. But it's a beater and I don't care. Adding oil is quicker than dropping and splitting engine cases ..........it's soooo liberating to just not care (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Am I bad for feeling this way?
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Apr 14 2015, 08:10 PM
Post #5796

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 14 2015, 05:03 PM) *

I drove the hell out of it today!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Looks good Jeff; why not drive the hell out it at WCR in San Simeon ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Apr 14 2015, 08:25 PM
Post #5797

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 14 2015, 07:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Apr 14 2015, 05:03 PM) *

Looks good Jeff; why not drive the hell out it at WCR in San Simeon ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It seems that the organizers have my schedule backwards!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) They keep planning these things when I am out of town (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) !

Maybe some day we can sync up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Michael N
post Apr 14 2015, 11:25 PM
Post #5798

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164
Region Association: Northern California

Drove it to go buy a new toy M3. After finalizing the deal for the M3, I had the salesman drive my new/used car to my house rather than letting him drive the 914. I still love the 914 more but I am pretty excited for the DD. I can't believe I pulled the trigger on it today.

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Apr 14 2015, 11:41 PM
Post #5799

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

Great BMW, pity you can not try it on the Autobahn!

Short term ownership made me go to the 'shop' twice: both times for a jack receiver plate and some welding wire. Arno Wienands who sells 914 parts is only 10 miles south of my house, so that's easily fixed.

26 hrs in so far.

Menno
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 15 2015, 12:46 AM
Post #5800

QUOTE(993inNC @ Apr 14 2015, 06:18 PM) *
Took my 71 out for a nice afternoon cruise to Harbor Freight only to find I couldn't get into 4/5 and all others were hard to find too. Knew the stick bushing was gone from when I bought the car. My temporary electrical tape "bushing" decided to no longer be of help, so I bought and installed a new bushing. While I was in there, I reused and "McGiver'd" the large shift rod pivot bushing. And finally, the same bushing at the tail of the tranny was basically gone so that location got a new bushing as well as the cover box being cleaned of sludge etc. Now the shifting is tight, 4/5 are back and it feels like a new(er) car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) …
Same thing happened right after we bought my wife's 71. Same fixes too, although the entire job took me about 5 hours (being the first time I ever had to deal with the issue). Amazing how replacing some little plastic do-nuts can change your whole view on life (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

843 Pages V « < 288 289 290 291 292 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:17 PM