Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 404 405 406 407 408 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
euro911
post Oct 9 2016, 08:45 PM
Post #8101

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(socal1200r @ Oct 9 2016, 06:09 PM) *
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 8 2016, 12:35 AM) *
Before you junk the FI, if you haven't taken a look at my D-Jet page (link in my sig), you might find it helpful. After you've made sure your mechanical (compression/vacuum), charging (battery/alternator), ignition, and fuel filter/supply/pressure are in good shape and operating properly, use my page to go through your FI system. Check that you have all the components, that they're correct for your car and engine, that they're connected correctly (electrically and vacuum), and that they pass basic tests I describe. Note that the ECU knob only affects mixture when the throttle position sensor is in the fully closed (idle or overrun) position. It doesn't affect your running (part or full load) mixture at all. Good luck, and remember that cars with good FI are generally worth more on the open market.
This is EXACTLY why I want to junk the FI system, and convert to carbs! This is WAY too complicated compared to a carb system. I'm really starting to have buyer's remorse with this car...should've bought the 1991 Alfa 164S instead...at least that car would be expected to have issues...
Obviously the decision is all yours, but I think you understand that the cam will need to be changed for the engine to perform efficiently if you decide to run carbs.

Don't give up so quickly. Once you sort the FI out, I think you'll be glad you did.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Oct 9 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #8102

Member No.: 805

QUOTE(socal1200r @ Oct 9 2016, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 8 2016, 12:35 AM) *

Before you junk the FI, if you haven't taken a look at my D-Jet page (link in my sig), you might find it helpful. After you've made sure your mechanical (compression/vacuum), charging (battery/alternator), ignition, and fuel filter/supply/pressure are in good shape and operating properly, use my page to go through your FI system. Check that you have all the components, that they're correct for your car and engine, that they're connected correctly (electrically and vacuum), and that they pass basic tests I describe. Note that the ECU knob only affects mixture when the throttle position sensor is in the fully closed (idle or overrun) position. It doesn't affect your running (part or full load) mixture at all. Good luck, and remember that cars with good FI are generally worth more on the open market.

This is EXACTLY why I want to junk the FI system, and convert to carbs! This is WAY too complicated compared to a carb system. I'm really starting to have buyer's remorse with this car...should've bought the 1991 Alfa 164S instead...at least that car would be expected to have issues...

FWIW, if you have a carb car, to make sure it's running properly, you still have to do all of the steps I describe up to checking the FI. But it's your car and you should do what makes you happy, best of luck with it.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 9 2016, 09:15 PM
Post #8103

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Oct 9 2016, 05:10 PM) *

Got my 2017 Build off Challenge project on the rotisserie!

Very nice rotisserie!
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Oct 9 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #8104

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 9 2016, 03:40 PM) *

God, I love modern day electronics. Went to the grocery store this AM and noticed a flat spot during acceleration and twice it cut out. Connected the OBD2 reader and found the error code, P0113 (intake air temp sensor). The voltage wasn't there nor did it have continuity. Peeled back the wiring loom and found a wire had pulled out of the butt splice connector which was crimped, and I use this term loosely, with the red handle tool. It is excellent for cutting and stripping wire but not for crimping. At the time I did not have this tool. Which brings me to this:

This is crimping tool:

This is not:

I have to laugh because I just did a stereo upgrade in my car yesterday, and I used butt splice crimp connectors to do the job, and the tool I used to crimp them was the cheapo crimper! I do agree it would be nice to have the "real" tool, and after seeing your post I'm going to get one. But, if you strip the wires to the correct length, use the correct connector size for the wire gauge, position the wire correctly in the connector, and squeeze really hard with the cheapo tool, you can still make a good connection. I had to do 22 crimps to do the job, I tested each one after crimping (pull hard) and I had only 2 that needed fixing. That said, the "real" tool is the way to go. I'm ordering one on Amazon right after I finish this reply.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 9 2016, 09:36 PM
Post #8105

I have the ratchet type for coaxial (radio & video) cable connectors, but for standard crimp terminals, I just use this type of crimp tool

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com-7300-1476070605.1.jpg)

Sometimes I also solder after crimping, and apply liquid tape if the terminals are exposed to the elements.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.kayaksportfishing.com-7300-1476071221.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
socal1200r
post Oct 9 2016, 09:47 PM
Post #8106

Member No.: 20,432
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 9 2016, 11:13 PM) *

FWIW, if you have a carb car, to make sure it's running properly, you still have to do all of the steps I describe up to checking the FI. But it's your car and you should do what makes you happy, best of luck with it.

Well, I'm not going to waste any more of MY time on this thing. I'll just take it back to the shop that installed the fuel pump, and let them mess with it. And IF they tell me it needs ANY FI parts, it's getting yanked out and replaced with carbs.
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Oct 9 2016, 10:15 PM
Post #8107

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 9 2016, 08:36 PM) *

I have the ratchet type for coaxial (radio & video) cable connectors, but for standard crimp terminals, I just use this type of crimp tool

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com-7300-1476070605.1.jpg)

Sometimes I also solder after crimping, and apply liquid tape if the terminals are exposed to the elements.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.kayaksportfishing.com-7300-1476071221.1.jpg)

When I solder, it's without a crimp connector, wire to wire, and insulate with shrink-wrap tubing. Takes more time but makes an excellent connection. Crimp is convenient and reliable if you do it correctly.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 10 2016, 12:00 AM
Post #8108

QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 9 2016, 09:15 PM) *
When I solder, it's without a crimp connector, wire to wire, and insulate with shrink-wrap tubing. Takes more time but makes an excellent connection. Crimp is convenient and reliable if you do it correctly.
I agree, when it's a wire to wire extension, do the western union splice, solder and heat-shrink if you can.

I threw that pic in to show what liquid tape was, in case somebody asked. I didn't know about it until a few years ago. The connection in the pic wasn't mine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
JFG
post Oct 10 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #8109

Member No.: 19,869
Region Association: None

Stripped the rear bumper back to bare metal and welded up the nipple holes. It's now in a coat of filler primer and drying overnight before I give it and the front bumper their first colour coat tomorrow.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 10 2016, 05:33 PM
Post #8110

Drove mine a bit and ended up at Rudy's (Curbandgutter). I wanted to check out his progress. What an undertaking. Rudy has an extensive background in metals & welding plus he is an engineer so he is breezing thru it. He has a lot of the tube cut and ready to weld in. I'll leave it to Rudy to update his progress. Then he wanted a ride in Kugel. Kind of embarrassing when I considered he will be running 2.5 times the HP. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
On the way home I saw this. Someone is going to shit when they see their water bill! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Check out the 35' gyser. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Oct 10 2016, 11:58 PM
Post #8111

QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 9 2016, 08:19 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 9 2016, 03:40 PM) *

This is crimping tool:

I'm ordering one on Amazon right after I finish this reply.

Gotta love Amazon Prime, that was yesterday, this came today:

Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 11 2016, 02:34 AM
Post #8112

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Home Depot probably has that same crimp tool too ... I bought some other TITAN tools there a couple of months ago.
+Quote Post
Shadowfax
post Oct 11 2016, 08:20 AM
Post #8113

Show us the meaning of haste

Member No.: 18,340
Region Association: South East States

Installed a Woody's Custom Shop MP3 player with the SSL 4X6 speakers. Sounds decent if not a little tinny. Wish my iPod had a better equalizer but I'm happy with it.
Also installed my"new" rain tray from Larmo63. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 11 2016, 10:22 AM
Post #8114

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

I came home from the Hurricane Matthew exile- car and hose clean and dry!! My pool and yard are a mess but all the big branches missed the house- and over a foot of rain and house stayed dry!! Lots of yard work to do but maybe a nice drive later it's 75 and perfect weather- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) some trees now--
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Oct 11 2016, 11:17 AM
Post #8115

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I feel for you having grown up and colleged in Louisiana. Out here in Laguna Beach, we have had none of our predicted 3 inches for the year........

Makes for a good 914 project work environment however.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Oct 11 2016, 11:33 AM
Post #8116

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Today I dropped off a set of new front rotors to get drilled to 5x130. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Oct 11 2016, 12:16 PM
Post #8117

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 11 2016, 01:34 AM) *

Home Depot probably has that same crimp tool too ... I bought some other TITAN tools there a couple of months ago.

I did some test crimps with this new tool yesterday. Jesus! What was I thinking using the cheapo crimper for so long! This ratcheting crimper makes a crimp so tight you can't pull the wire out no matter what you do. Highly recommended!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 11 2016, 01:04 PM
Post #8118

QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 11 2016, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 11 2016, 01:34 AM) *

I did some test crimps with this new tool yesterday. Jesus! What was I thinking using the cheapo crimper for so long! This ratcheting crimper makes a crimp so tight you can't pull the wire out no matter what you do. Highly recommended!

Agreed. 30 years ago I built a plane and had an AA friend stop by during the early stages of wiring the instrument panel. He began to pull on crimp connection with all his strength. I was like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) are you doing! He then pulled out a set of ratcheting crumpets and told me to go back and cut out everything he had not yanked apart and to use his crimped. IIRC, he said it was a 300 dollar tool. I didn't buy one at the time but I'll never forget how impressed I was with the. Romp job. That Greenlee. Let abput $75 and is well worth it. You can swing by those connections now.
+Quote Post
JFG
post Oct 11 2016, 01:24 PM
Post #8119

Member No.: 19,869
Region Association: None

I got the 1st colour coat on both bumpers. Then I sanded the entire outer shell of the car in readiness for it's final colour coat.

Feels like I'm getting somewhere now.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 11 2016, 02:09 PM
Post #8120

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Oct 11 2016, 10:17 AM) *
... Out here in Laguna Beach, we have had none of our predicted 3 inches for the year...
Ya know, they make a little blue pill to cure that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 404 405 406 407 408 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 07:22 PM