Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

842 Pages V « < 454 455 456 457 458 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
euro911
post Jul 12 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #9101

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Wife took her friend to the doctor and physical therapy and my work-from-home tenant was gone for the day, so I broke out my Telecaster and Klon Centaur pedal and blasted the remaining neighbors with some AC/DC tunes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) ... something I don't get to do too often (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmascari
post Jul 12 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #9102

Member No.: 17,850
Region Association: None

Pulled my car out of the garage for some sun and installed a new dash I bought from another member. Thanks Rob. It's been in the garage for a few years. Engine almost ready though so hopefully be driving soon.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Jul 12 2017, 08:13 PM
Post #9103

Member No.: 17,273
Region Association: Southwest Region

I rolled out the fubar on the right rocker (from a lift drop on a steel table.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) ) done on the English Wheel and got it presentable / painted and remounted. Playing with idle circuits on the triple throat Webers............ another (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
I see why Steve went with FI on a 3.2........... Of course money is no matter to him verses my present position.......

However, a guy up the street from me has an 09 cab with under 45 K and is looking to sell............ Hmmmmmm. A car with AC and a heater,...... Hmmmmmmm

I don't know why a man wouldn't consider that as a way to take the lovely wife out for dinner without another under dash fire looming in the return trip home...

These 40Something cars are a blast with a 6 in them but the creature comforts are part of the CPA-wife's equation on car-comfort-expense ratio to discount/ divided by depreciation via Sub-S rules -amortized over X-years.............

Do you see the actuarial Hell in which I have actually completed a 6 conversion............

I think it is little to ask that I buy her a 911 with all of the creature comforts just to allow me to blast the 914 into it's rightful place in the line up............ It is not like anything else in my past experience with 911.........

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Steve
post Jul 12 2017, 08:46 PM
Post #9104

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

I debate with myself all the time. I miss my 2.7 with Webers, but I picked up my Euro 3.2 motor with the DME fuel injection for $5200.00 back in 2000. Far less than the cost back then to overhaul the 2.7. I even sold the Webers back then for what I paid for them brand new from PMO. A whopping $1000.00!!! A lot has changed. I could not convince the wife today to let me spend $10k for a 3.2 or even the budget builds that you Larmo and Keith are doing.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 12 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #9105

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I moved the 914 over a few feet so my neighbor can have some of his driveway back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No real work on the car, however I did just install an 18000 btu air conditioning / heating unit in the single car side of the garage that the 914 will live in once I bring home.

+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jul 12 2017, 10:32 PM
Post #9106

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 12 2017, 05:14 PM) *

Wife took her friend to the doctor and physical therapy and my work-from-home tenant was gone for the day, so I broke out my Telecaster and Klon Centaur pedal and blasted the remaining neighbors with some AC/DC tunes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) ... something I don't get to do too often (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

So, this is what you did to your 914 today? Put that $hit down and get back to work on that car you say you have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 12 2017, 10:50 PM
Post #9107

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 12 2017, 09:32 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 12 2017, 05:14 PM) *
So, this is what you did to your 914 today. Put that $hit down and get back to work on that car you say you have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

Well, I want to change out a straight fitting on the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder on the 'BB, so I also picked up a 90° elbow from Earl's Supply to move the hydraulic line away from the heat exchanger. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow and get Dianne behind the wheel so I can bleed the line again, as well as bleeding the brake system ... I installed new inlet grommets on the M/C while I was in there so that needs bleeding too.

Attached Image

Side note: I reupholstered the Ghia seats I got from Joel - turned out pretty nice, but the seat tracks I need to install are still on back order (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Tell him thanks again when you see him.
+Quote Post
Olympic 914
post Jul 13 2017, 06:41 AM
Post #9108

Member No.: 13,287
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Drove it yesterday. Took the GF for her first ride in the car EVER lots of back roads, made a couple stops and then ordered a pizza and picked it up before heading back home. total of 18 miles. She says it seems like a toy car and was fun to zip around in, but complained that it was too hot. (my heater boxes are not closing completely)

Now for the bad.......

I was dealing with a ignition harness FUBAR that melted my tach wire and I had effected a temporary fix by jumpering around the bunt wire. that seemed to work but when I got back home and went to put the car back into the shed, it stalled going up the ramp. then would not start again. No joy from the fuel pump. Again...
replaced the relays and still no good. So I ended up winching it into the shed. and there it sits. I have a new ignition harness coming from Bowlsby in a couple days, I just hope that is the problem.

I have been putting aside a couple other projects, Mainly head work on the Harley, so I am going to take a break from working on teener for a while. Just to keep my sanity.

+Quote Post
michael7810
post Jul 13 2017, 07:14 AM
Post #9109

Member No.: 13,164

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Jul 13 2017, 05:41 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Drove it yesterday. Took the GF for her first ride in the car EVER lots of back roads, made a couple stops and then ordered a pizza and picked it up before heading back home. total of 18 miles. She says it seems like a toy car and was fun to zip around in, but complained that it was too hot. (my heater boxes are not closing completely)

Now for the bad.......

I was dealing with a ignition harness FUBAR that melted my tach wire and I had effected a temporary fix by jumpering around the bunt wire. that seemed to work but when I got back home and went to put the car back into the shed, it stalled going up the ramp. then would not start again. No joy from the fuel pump. Again...
replaced the relays and still no good. So I ended up winching it into the shed. and there it sits. I have a new ignition harness coming from Bowlsby in a couple days, I just hope that is the problem.

I have been putting aside a couple other projects, Mainly head work on the Harley, so I am going to take a break from working on teener for a while. Just to keep my sanity.

If you haven't already I would fuse the 4 wires off the battery before trying the new harness unless you're sure what caused the wires to melt. I did and it saved my main harness when I hooked the yellow starter wire up to ground.
+Quote Post
JFG
post Jul 16 2017, 08:35 AM
Post #9110

Member No.: 19,869

It was a bitsa day on my car today.

I installed new fuel lines through the tunnel with a little help from the Mrs.

I sorted out some stuff in the garage loft, decided not to fit the rubber windscreen surround as it looks cack, sticking with the metal trim.

Having cleared some space and sorted the garage out I fitted the turbo tie rod on the passenger side temporarily for now while I figure out the bellows. I also took the caliper off for refurb. Surprisingly after 20+ years standing it was fairly free.

+Quote Post
sb914
post Jul 16 2017, 11:13 AM
Post #9111

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

I drove it.Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jul 17 2017, 11:42 PM
Post #9112

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Made room in the garage for this stuff..... 6 speed transmission and supporting gear for LS Chevy swap....and picked up 4.8 motor that'll fit right on up....the 4.8 was free for a reason, the guy that gave it to me took all the missing parts for his 5.3 motor. Supposedly an 80K mile engine.

Attached Image
Attached Image

And I did some programming for a few emblems, I should be making chips Tuesday night.

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
forrestkhaag
post Jul 18 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #9113

Member No.: 17,273

I am doing a second oil and filter dump today / now at 1000 miles +/- on the new engine. I did one at 500 miles as well. So far no things sticking to my two magnetic drain plugs. The mechanic that directed me in the rebuild said his work on 911 engines do not leak oil and will not if property assembled and maintained.

So far he is correct. No weeps from the engine or me.......

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aualexa1
post Jul 18 2017, 02:22 PM
Post #9114

Member No.: 21,189
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Installed turbo tie rods.

Working on front struts, wheel bearings and ball joints. Hit a snag while removing the ball joint pin. It was stuck and everything I read online said to keep hitting it harder. Well, it hasn't come loose and it actually looks like the threaded part of the pin is bending a little. I'm going to stop and just remove the strut and wheel hub and then take it to a local shop to have them remove the pin. Unfortunately, the ball joint removal tool I ordered hasn't arrived yet, so my project has stalled for the moment.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jul 18 2017, 03:37 PM
Post #9115

Member No.: 18,667

Well, it wasn't today, but...

In the last month, I rebuilt my front suspension (new ball joints, new Elephant Racing bushings and new turbo tie rod kit) and got an alignment, installed new front & rear struts & shocks and swapped out the 2.0 exhaust parts for 1.7 parts. Also adjusted the valves while the heat exchangers were out of the way.

It's amazing how much quieter the car is without the front torsion bars dragging on the inside of the control arms....
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Jul 18 2017, 05:32 PM
Post #9116

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(BillC @ Jul 18 2017, 02:37 PM) *

In the last month, I rebuilt my front suspension (new ball joints, new Elephant Racing bushings and new turbo tie rod kit) and got an alignment, installed new front & rear struts & shocks and swapped out the 2.0 exhaust parts for 1.7 parts. Also adjusted the valves while the heat exchangers were out of the way.

It's amazing how much quieter the car is without the front torsion bars dragging on the inside of the control arms....

What do you mean by the front torsion bars dragging in inside of the control arms? I've not heard of this issue before but there's a lot I don't know.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 19 2017, 02:16 AM
Post #9117

Bill, there's a guy who might be interested in some of your 2.0L exhaust parts ... http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=313450
+Quote Post
JFG
post Jul 19 2017, 04:25 AM
Post #9118

Member No.: 19,869

Finally decided to fit the gauges, just have 1 wire missing for the temp gauge.

Can't be dealing with the pia dash top any longer.
+Quote Post
BillC
post Jul 19 2017, 08:02 AM
Post #9119

Member No.: 18,667

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Jul 18 2017, 07:32 PM) *

What do you mean by the front torsion bars dragging in inside of the control arms? I've not heard of this issue before but there's a lot I don't know.

The control arm is attached to the car with rubber bushings, one at the front that is clamped directly to the body and one at the rear that fits into the front of the cross beam. The torsion bar runs inside the longitudinal tube of control arm. The torsion bar mates with the control arm in the splines at the front of the tube. At the rear, the torsion bar mates with the adjuster, which mounts in the back side of the cross beam.

All these parts are supposed to be concentric where they meet in the cross beam. The rear rubber bushing is responsible for keeping the longitudinal tube centered in it's mounting hole in the cross beam. The adjuster is responsible for keeping the torsion bar centered in the hole where it passes through the cross beam. Since the adjuster is steel and fits without any rubber, the torsion bar will always stay centered in its hole.

The rear rubber bushing, on the other hand, is compressed by the load of the car on the control arm. Over time, the rubber "flows" and sags, allowing the control arm to move upward relative to the cross beam. If it moves up enough, as happened in my car, the longitudinal tube of the control arm will contact the torsion bar. Once that happens, you get wear, a rough(er) ride and lots of squeaking.

I originally thought the squeaking was a bad balljoint, and was planning to do the bushings WIIT ("While I'm In There") only because the front was going to be apart. Turns out to have been a good thing to do.

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jul 19 2017, 04:16 AM) *

Bill, there's a guy who might be interested in some of your 2.0L exhaust parts ...

Thank you for the tip, but the parts have already been sold.
+Quote Post
lonewolfe
post Jul 19 2017, 02:34 PM
Post #9120

Member No.: 13,549
Region Association: Northern California

Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation. That is vey helpful. Now I understand where some of those squeaks are coming from. I have a Rebel Racing bushing kit I'll be installing that should solve that problem forever. In theory anyhow! Ha ha ha!
+Quote Post

842 Pages V « < 454 455 456 457 458 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:30 AM