Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1.7 Pre assembly checks and modifications?
Porsche930dude
post Dec 18 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,819
Region Association: None

Im new to the 914s and im going to be putting together my 1.7 after i tore it down to clean up flood damage and not running in 25 years. So far so good but im wondering if there is anything internally i should be checking or modifying before i reassemble it. Im not sure if it has been apart before or not
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Dec 18 2011, 09:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Porsche930dude @ Dec 18 2011, 08:38 PM) *

Im new to the 914s and im going to be putting together my 1.7 after i tore it down to clean up flood damage and not running in 25 years. So far so good but im wondering if there is anything internally i should be checking or modifying before i reassemble it. Im not sure if it has been apart before or not

It's that ole saying, "while your in there". If you are taking it apart, you should add new parts, bearings at a minimum. But you should consider, the cam, lifters, etc... If you can find a Type 4 machine shop they can check lots of measurements. The heads most likely have cracks too. They can be welded. Maybe new seats, valves, etc... the list goes on and on. Do some research on here and you will find most of the specs and wear limits.
+Quote Post
Porsche930dude
post Dec 19 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 13,819
Region Association: None

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Dec 18 2011, 10:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Porsche930dude @ Dec 18 2011, 08:38 PM) *

It's that ole saying, "while your in there". If you are taking it apart, you should add new parts, bearings at a minimum. But you should consider, the cam, lifters, etc... If you can find a Type 4 machine shop they can check lots of measurements. The heads most likely have cracks too. They can be welded. Maybe new seats, valves, etc... the list goes on and on. Do some research on here and you will find most of the specs and wear limits.

yup yup ill be checkin it out real good as far as specs. But it doesnt look like it has much wear. Still has the cross hatching on the bores. Except for one with a big gouge in it. What i mean is things like oil pump modifications and like on the vw engines they always recommend a "racer spacer". I saw somthing in the automotion catalog about upgraded oil pressure relief valves. Is there any sense in getting those? Things like that
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:01 PM